🗓 On this date in history

If you keep this up you’ll leave me no choice but to rub YOUR nose in it (see what I did there?) if/when he makes a mistake!

1 Like

Here’s the view from TUI. I’ve been quite anti Hoedt but this is making me think…

I’ll start by saying that I am not on Twitter and do not formulate opinions on the basis of what other people say. I come up with them based on my own observations and gut feelings. I said recently that Hoedt scares me. Since that Cruyff turn against Bournemouth last year I worry when he has the ball at the back and he has also been a little weak in the air and gets pushed out of the way too easily, Lukaku was one example of that and there are a few others.

In his defence he was dealt a shit hand when he joined the club and got dropped when VVD temporarily retrieved his head from his arse, as opposed to playing alongside him, an idea which he was initially sold when joining.

I was fairly confident he would benefit from a full preseason and entering his second season. So far though he has looked a little ropey and very nervous. That header in to the path of the Burnley player forced McCarthy in to a decent save on the opening day. It could have been different though.

As far as the Ugly article goes, it reads as a bit contradictory in places. He bemoans the lack of an experienced head alongside Hoedt last season but seemingly forgets that Vestergaard has only just turned 26 and is also new to the division. So wouldn’t HIS development benefit from playing alongside the experience of the 30 year old who has been in the Premier League for 6 years already?

I too can see it both ways and ultimately Hughes may wish to persevere with JV & WH. However he goes about it is fine with me, I just reckon we need some stability and some decent points on the board before all of these ‘winnable games’ pass us by… like the start of last year. Does Yoshida’s time at the club offer more stability to the side than the two game partnership of JV & WH? I dunno. Would Yoshida have started the season with JV had it not been for the World Cup ridding him of a preseason and early season game time? I dunno.

Basically I’m a Big Nose that doesn’t know.

2 Likes

What that Ugly article fails to recognise is that out of Westergaard, Hoedt and Yoshida there is only one centre back with any pace and it’s not the big’uns.
Also it stated that Yoshida conceded headed goals from Vokes and Giroud last season. True. But they are both excellent in the air and would be Westergaard’s job if partnered with Yoshi.
I am certainly not convinced that Hoed is the future anyway.

4 Likes
2 Likes
2 Likes

Nov 21 1964. Yours truly went to his first Saints game.

Southampton 6 Rotherham 1. George O’Brien and Martin Chivers with 3 each.

2 Likes

Was it a good game @lifeintheslowlane?

3 Likes

is that the same Tommy Smith played for Liverpool ?

They were poaching our players as early as that?

Too bloody right it was…I was living in Lymington at the time. Used to come to games in a cream coloured Hants & Dorset coach that dropped us off in Hill Lane. Same coach evey game. We used to have a sweepstake for the first goal-scorer…anyone who drew George O’Brien usually won.

Edit: BTW that was in answer to @Lets-B-Drinking not @gavstar who is a cunt.

4 Likes

I don’t know where this aggression is coming from :man_shrugging:

STFU…It’s my birthday…you will comply. :stuck_out_tongue:

Ah happy birthday! Has google done one of those doodles for you? :lou_wink_2:

Thanks…no Google shit…too busy counting their tax-free gains no doubt. :lou_wink_2:

Would say happy birthday, but you don’t appear in the correct mood :grin:

1 Like

And a very happy birthday to you, old chap.

1 Like

I have been lucky enough in life to experience #limbs.
This one was up there with that Moran winner v the skates

This one had a more epic hangover though

Happy Birthday LITSL, I suppose you were at St Mary’s YMCA FC’s first game…

2 Likes

i’m sure he’s never heard that before…

2 Likes

:fu: