:newcastlefc: Newcastle v Saints :saints: (PL)

Must admit I missed the other wise as it was split across 2 lines. My bad. I will make it my personal mission to raise the standards of English language used here. SCD

2 Likes

My worst night mare.
You’re one of these, aren’t you?
“To hear some sticklers talk, you’d think that somewhere, in a classified location, there’s a top-secret grammar law library that houses the voluminous Grammar Penal Code: an official list of all the things you’d be “wrong” to do."
https://lithub.com/grammar-purity-is-one-big-ponzi-scheme/
An amusing read.

1 Like

I would have preferred that you’d written: “split across two lines” instead of “…2 lines”

Also, shouldn’t “My bad” be something like “My mistake” or perhaps “That was my mistake”?

Finally, is “personal” needed in the expression “my personal mission”?

Is that tautology or pleonasm? @Fowllyd will drop by later to clear that up and knee us all in the grammatical goolies.

Be warned, @Saint-CD, this is a dangerous game you’ve started where nobody wins!

5 Likes

@Fowllyd our resident pedant may have words* about this proposal.

• several and obscure probably.

We seem to be more popular of late.
Click to see the vote split

1 Like

Well now, there’s nothing remotely wrong with the phrase “my bad”. It’s a relatively recent coinage, but that doesn’t make it wrong by any stretch. It’s idiomatic and there’s nowt wrong wi’ that.

And on a point of order, the difference between a tautology and a pleonasm isn’t one of grammar but of meaning. There’s a nice, if perhaps unexpected piece of pedantry for you all.

4 Likes

An excellent read indeed. Just for info, a lot of the so-called ‘rules’ mentioned in that article (ending a sentence with a preposition, splitting an infinitive, using double negatives and more) stem from a bunch of fools who decided that English should be shoehorned into the rules of Latin syntax, in spite of the fact that the two languages have little, if anything, in common.

As an illustration, Latin infinitive is one word (e.g. amare) , an English infinitive is two (e.g. to love). So of course you can’t split that in Latin, whereas in English of course you can. That’s just one example, and I won’t bore you all with any others. Well, not for now, at least. :lou_sunglasses:

1 Like

Fuckin’ Suzie Dent and Steven Fry’s love child…no matter how unlikely that may seem.

4 Likes

Please God, at least let this bit be true…

:+1:

1 Like

God, I cant wait for matchday.

1 Like

Ralph promoted another nipper to the squad then?

:sunglasses:

1 Like

Am I the only one who remembers his air shot at SJP and subsequent barcode goal?

#shudders

So, a supercomputer has predicted we will lose.
But we could have done that for the cost of a pint.
Oh Lawro also, him 2-1 Non PC 1-0
Win it will be then

Lawro’s Premier League predictions v ‘RED’ the super-computer - http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/47886436

It’s Newcastle-under-Lyme, you monumental twat.

And it’s a shitehole.

1 Like

True.

That’s where I saw my first ever dead body - in a misguided attempt to look into Radiography as a career at 6th form…

Yep was a shit town too back then.

1 Like

I lived there from 1980 to 83, but I don’t recall spotting any cadavers. Unfortunately I saw one there last year when we buried my best mate, died of a brain tumour at 58.

2 Likes

Ooh, that’s not good. Really sorry to hear that about your mate. A desperate way to get out of the place though tbh…some may think otherwise.

1 Like

As per usual, no prediction from me but I have just returned from a family function and don’t feel like poking my eyes out so make of that what you will

Easter Saturday is a busy family thing in Catholic Poland, making baskets of stuff, blessings, cemetery trips.

All close family things.

Which is another way of saying, the sun is shining and I have a totally free pass all day!
Just have to oil the door hinges and I’m sorted!

3 Likes

This gets betterer and betterer.

Hoome alone, just about to do a fry-up. Then discover (because it’s Saturday) the buses aren’t as frequent (duh).
So, I now have to go into town at 15:30 (local time) and return home at 22:30 with a local time kick off of 18:25.
What to do I thought?
Because it is Easter weekend there is a “German” market in the main square. No beer BUt they have Grzaniec and street food stalls.
In other words Gluhwein on a sunny day to wash down a Kielbasa.
You may need to find me on the pickled thread earlier than planned.

Public Service announcement

Kielbasa has more garlic. and the texture is smoother , not coarse chunks, bratwursts are meant for being grilled/bbq/cooked with . Kielbasa can be eaten as is, bratwurst generally needs to be cooked, flavor is more fresh and meaty in bratwurst

1 Like