đŸ‡«đŸ‡· Macron's Yellow Vests

Uhm

Thing is, folks seem to only look at headline page and not at the all the news
 should this be headline when 290 are killed in bomb blasts? Is the report balanced and fair? Not the point, but someone should maybe point MarkGB in the right direction
This took 10 seconds and 2 clicks to locate
 and its Why I find these ‘instajournos’ and twitter arseholes so ridiculous
 just say what they want to believe without even bothering to check such basic stuff
 and there are plenty of videos and reports of teh ongoing violence
 just what this social media generation want surely, no one watches live TV any more do they

1 Like

Not what I would call a balanced report and it’s tucked away on the website. Did they ‘show’ it on the news? No. But I take your point. The footage, and that in the Beeley tweet is fucking shocking though. If that’s not worth reporting on the main news then I wonder if anyone will give a fuck if our Police are ever called to suppress a demonstration in this way.

1 Like

Thing is there is a fuck load of shocking and shitty news
 not sure a click on the first page of European news is that tucked away though; if you are interested in what is happening in Europe, I would suggest to that guy he might venture a click on the ‘Europe’ news tab.

Of course there has always been bias in the media
 and ridiculous angles as well
 Jonathon Pie did a nice bit on the Climate change protest
 ‘the world is fuckingi tself and the media angle is all about shoppers being disrupted and travel woes
’ but as said earlier, my point was not defend the MSM or Macron
 but just to highlight that whilst Social media might be a great tool for democratising the news, too many have hijacked it for their own poorly researched propaganda
 its as bad as the msm, just folks believe it because its not the msm and it must somehow be better
 Trump won an election on that shit

2 Likes

Bastard @Map-Of-Tasmania

I was just going to say pretty much all that.

3 clicks on the BBC website got me there.

1 Like

Being an annoying bastard; Its my mission in life :wink:

1 Like

It’s hugely important that this isn’t on the TV news. First, there are still a whole group of people that still watch TV news, and still get their concept of what is important from TV news.

The problem is that TV news, through its sins of omission, shows us what it really is. When Pussy Riot get more headlines than state violence on French streets, TV news is at the very least, an institution that is dangerously selective in its coverage.

3 Likes

Indeed. Can you imagine the amount of coverage there would be if these 23 consecutive weeks of demos had been in Russia? We would have calls for intervention and regime change on a daily basis.

2 Likes

True @pap, though arguably most people these days also get their news online - I seem to recall reading that over +2/3rds of the population own a smart phone nowadays. My kids I know don’t watch the news on TV but get news from a range of online sources - mainstream sites included.

Personally I find some People merrily going on line and quoting “facts” about the media being muzzled on the Paris riots by a mysterious “they” a bit disingenuous tbh, even if the content they (the conspiracy believers) say isn’t being published is in plain sight and readily accessible, but it makes a good story I guess.

online is certainly catching up. TV coverage still has a huge impact though.

Interesting @Goatboy

So, are you gonna give up this thread now @Goatboy?

:wink:
:grinning:
:joy:
:astonished::unamused::disappointed:

Yeah, all looks sorted to me.

Probably not - give it a couple of weeks

This must be a disappointment.
The fail reporting on Yellow Vests, whatever next

1 Like
1 Like

Definitely fizzling out. Weekend warriors etc.
https://twitter.com/sahouraxo/status/1123662301666717705

If you consider the general tenets of democratic governance, not least the concept of being governed by consent, events in France look deeply damaging to the long term stability of that country.

For the past six months, you’ve had French citizens on the streets effectively saying “I do not consent”, and the French authorities meeting that statement with violence. That is a deeply toxic relationship which won’t disappear with Macron.

Those coppers will still be around. That public will still be around, aggrieved, full of righteous enmity. A change of the man at the top will do little to undo the damage that has been done on the ground.

I suppose a good thing would be to ask the vast majority of the population who haven’t been on the streets (for whatever reason) what they think.

I suspect there will be sympathy with the protesters and also the opposite.

Just because organised (ish) protests have been going on so long doesn’t mean it’s the “will of the people” - Brexit shows there can be two distinct camps. Who’s right in France? Not going to pin my flag to pro or anti protesters.