šŸ¦ Let's bin social media

One could possibly say that that is what social media is at the moment anyway. Itā€™s all just echo chambers and confirmation bias

People follow people with similar views and engage with people with similar viewsā€¦

I try not to, Iā€™m here arenā€™t I?

Lol

What was he aiming at with the post. No reference to anything in particular.

Am muting more and more posts these days and thatā€™s 100% down to the style of posting by Mr Sanchez.

Clearly Iā€™m definitely l not a fan and youā€™ll have seen comments recently from others which suggest many others arenā€™t either.

I guess Iā€™ll just carry on muting topics until thereā€™s nothing left to read / participate in.

Not too fussed tbh.

Your site, your rules - free speech ā€˜nā€™ all that

:joy:

Rule 34

Iā€™d ask yourself to put yourself in Barryā€™s shoes.

How would you feel if people were saying ā€œIā€™m not posting on this thread anymore because of Cobsā€?

Iā€™ve seen comments from other people and a fair deal of them are fair enough, but Iā€™ve never liked mobs and have never believed that they know best.

They destroyed decent discussion on SaintsWeb and the mob mentality of certain posters here after the Brexit result almost destroyed this place. Weā€™ve still never recovered.

Heā€™s ok, heā€™s more than entitled to his opinion.

1 Like

Indeed, which is why there are few, if any rules here.

For me. itā€™s about making lemonade with lemons. Itā€™ll be no secret to you that I fundamentally disagree with much of what you post.

There are two ways to deal with that. The best thing for the forum is for me to state my disagreement, why I disagree. Even if I get the predicted flannel and misdirection that usually results, my post is still there.

The ā€œooh, itā€™s all shiteā€ approach Iā€™m not as fond of.

Iā€™m not sure why ā€œsocial mediaā€ should be treated any differently than newspapers or magazines. If something appears on their platforms that is contentious, they are ultimately responsible for publishing it because they have provided the platform and in so doing have endorsed it (even if they donā€™t agree with the content). For example, if an article appears in The Guardian that you donā€™t agree with, it is usually a Guardian article rather than referred to by the authorā€™s name. Publishing platforms have responsibilities, they also have lawyers who paw over contents to make sure they arenā€™t going to get sued every 5 minutes.
Why should Twitter, Facebook and Instagram not have the same responsibilities?
It is also easy to hide behind anonymity on the internet. There is so much abuse and misinformation flying about because people can post any old bollocks without their names being associated with it.
We have free speech with responsibilities so that if anyone oversteps the mark there are consequences. I wouldnā€™t bin social media, but the anonymity needs to go and the publishers and published need to face the same rules as those in print.

2 Likes

To be fair to Barry, he knows exactly what he is doing and does it to get a ride out of people. Many of us would find it difficult to deal with being on the end of mob disproval. Barry thrives on it.

2 Likes

If someone came to your house and used your house to call someone a cunt, do you think youā€™d deserve a slap for it?

I became immune to mobs online after dealing with Verbal, aintforever, CB Fry and buctootim. Gotta say, they were previously forum pals of mine, so it was quite upsetting when the wolves first started circling.

Youā€™re quite right about Barry. He has never given a fuck and enjoys lone wolf forum fisticuffs.

If someone came to my house and called someone a cunt, repeatedly after being asked to desist, i would give the cunt a slap and chuck them out.

5 Likes

Which cunt would call your cunt a cunt?

It have been on the end of a trolling by Cheers, Bern Fry too, along with hypochondriac and a few others on SaintsWeb. It wasnā€™t very pleasant and I ended up putting a few on ignore to get some respite but that didnā€™t happen because they would be quoted in other posts or some lurkers would jump on the bandwagon. It is one thing having an online spat, another when it turns nasty. Cheers, Bern Fry in particular can be quite readable, but also has a deeply unpleasant side which manifests itself in what appears to be a superiority complex.
Turkish has now taken on the mantle of TSW WUM in chief. I really donā€™t see why some people canā€™t just fight their corner on a subject and leave it at that. There is no need to be a complete arsehole and start punching below the belt. Having said that I have probably descended to that a few times myself!

A Government tribunal will adjudicate

:man_facepalming:

1 Like

Itā€™s not like Barry doesnā€™t get the occasional slap. Unwittingly timely ones too. Do you remember that weekend he was silenced and we went top of the league?

That was a good weekend.

3 Likes

CB Fry is a great writer and Iā€™d be lying if I said I didnā€™t ape his style of dripping facetiousness, especially in Facebook spats.

Verbal is Verbal, whatever that is. I think the most telling thing about him was how apeshit he got when his real identity was revealed.

Contrary to popular belief, I never named him. Some matey asked if he was still running some production company. He was listed as a director.

Theyā€™re all, to a certain extent, people who would never say the things they did if they were saying them in public. Theyā€™re actually the reason Iā€™ve been public online for over a decade because of a distaste for that.

Iā€™ve got no problem with anonymity when people are sound. Itā€™s when they use it as cover for abuse that anonymity annoys me.

I hate fuckers like hypo and aintforever even more than I hate the talented trolls. They are the shit one the shoes of whomever is stomping around the hardest.

4 Likes

Its not lone wolf bollocks its the fact I think youā€™re all cunts, what disturbs is though grown ups (bar you but youā€™re a bellend anyway) can descend into playground mobs when they believe they see a weakness, that is not a good sign of a person but fuck it who am I to judge.
I can assure you one thing, if I met any of you inbreds in real life Iā€™d shake your hand and buy you a drink.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve met you and itā€™s true that weā€™ve shaken hands. But whereā€™s my drink you cunt?

4 Likes