Legal challenge to selling "Fully-loaded" KODI boxes

I see there is a legal challenge coming up for “fully loaded” KODI boxes

I guess people who know KODI know what KODI can do, however KODI on it’s own doesn’t do this. I sort of agree that people who sell “fully-loaded” KODI boxes shouldn’t. Even KODI doesn’t want their software advertised this way.

I also think that subscription services are too expensive and if people can find a way around paying the vast sums that Sky, BT etc. ask then they will.

However the quality of some of the “free” sites is atrocious.

They can’t stop kodi nor can they stop systems being sold that can use Kodi, pointless if they say they can’t come fully loaded, the horse has bolted on this and in the digital age it will be difficult to stop, openbox, android boxes streaming devices are here to stay and thats all there is to it.

Openbox = Sky via cardsharing c/cams

Firestick/box = Kodi = Movies

Android box = Sports and Kodi

And streaming is not illegal but it probably will be soon, owning or recording is illegal.

If you read the link you will see :-

Middlesbrough trader Brian Thompson is accused of selling equipment that “facilitated the circumvention” of copyright protection measures.

So, yes, it seems that if you’re accessing copyright protected material via a dodgy stream then it is indeed illegal.

Originally posted by @BTripz

If you read the link you will see :-

Middlesbrough trader Brian Thompson is accused of selling equipment that “facilitated the circumvention” of copyright protection measures.

So, yes, it seems that if you’re accessing copyright protected material via a dodgy stream then it is indeed illegal.

Surely anyone selling a computer of any kind that can run Kodi does that.

No if he is selling the application with the intention of it being used illegally to stream films and thats illegal, streaming isn’t technically illegal yet and the court will have to prove he sold the boxes for that purpose.

Kodi is legal and so are the boxes, just put it on yourself.

An example is if he advertised in his shop that he was selling sky sports or movies through this application then he’ll have broken the law, if he simply sold the box with Kodi installed then no law has been broken, to prove intent will be difficult and as I say it won’t or can’t stop it as it stands.

Kodi are the ones who have that power, they could possibly be bought out but another one will spring up.

Kodi on it’s own is fine, selling a box with Kodi is fine

They are selling boxes with Kodi and all the dodgy subscription services pre-installed.

Even Kodi do not want Kodi advertised this way.

That’s right BT but I don’t get your point, Kodi as its stands isn’t going away and a replacement will come in if it does.

It’s not about Kodi, it’s about the fully loaded Kodi boxes that are being sold, that’s all.

I know and there is nothing they can do if people install themselves, pointless.

I think you’re both missing a huge part of the context.

Kodi is a continuation of XBMC, shorn of the rather narrow name (it stood for XBox Media Center). It began life on a chipped version of a proprietary console. It’s open source, meaning that I could take my own copy of Kodi’s code and do my own variant.

I’m well aware of what the Kodi project team have to say, but they knew all along things would take this path.

Pap I am aware of what Kodi is and where it came from.

Then why on earth are you suggesting it’s a corporate entity which’ll get bought out?

The whole kit and caboodle has been counter-corporate from the start. What do you reckon people were using it for back in the XBOX days?

That doesn’t mean it couldn’t or wouldn’t be sold changed or whatever you want to call it, we all know its a vehicle to show films, I am loving the spurious legal nature of it all, Linux and ps3?

Am i missing something here? If an android box has kodi on it, it doesn’t need to be fully loaded. Any idiot can load it up( yes even me). Open kodi, go to programmes and open add-ons, go to get more, open this and there they are.

Even if they stopped selling them here people would just order them from abroad. Does anyone think Chinese business’s give a shit about our laws.

There are also alternatives to kodi. This is a fight they can’t win.

2 Likes

Some of the alternatives drove its development. First version of XBMC was there to primarily do one thing; play DivX files.

The add-on scene has burgeoned to such an extent that it’s only a tiny part of what it does now.

The whole thing is so big now, how would they stop it? Was at a friends on Saturday and someone mentioned the boxing. He got his phone out and 10 seconds later his TV had ppv boxing on(can’t remember which app, i was very pissed). There are so many options, usable through so many devices(probably not apple) with more appearing daily that i can’t see how it can be stopped.

Google = Mobdro

Originally posted by @Barry-Sanchez

Google = Mobdro

That sounds familiar. I think that’s the one Barry.

#stopKony #kony2012