Jo Cox killed

Very sad news.

Jo Cox, the MP for Batley and Spen, is in a critical condition after being shot and stabbed multiple times in her West Yorkshire constituency.

Armed officers responded to the attack near a library in Birstall on Thursday afternoon, and a 52-year-old man was arrested in the area, police confirmed.

I’ve had my disagreements with some of the things she’s said, but how the fuck did we ever get to the point where people see this as some kind of twisted resolution?

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/jun/16/labour-mp-jo-cox-shot-in-west-yorkshire

**EDIT ** Very sadly had to reflect status in thread title.

Just been announced as dead.

So fucked up.

2 young kids as well. Horrific.

Fucking scumbag whoever is responsible.

Jayda Fransen, deputy leader of Britain First , said

“This is absolutely not the kind of behaviour we would condone.”

gr8 news

ffs

This is always happens when you give the mob the opportunity to vent their bile and spleen - (whether Brexiteers or Remainers).

The UK is going to the dog because of this decisive referendum - I can honestly see disorder on the streets in the neat future.

hope Jo Cox pulls through.

Stupidity. Damn stupidity…

ffs

This is way happens when you give the mob the opportunity to vent their bile and spleen - (whether Brexiteers or Remainers).

The UK is going to the dog because of this decisive referendum - I can honestly see disorder on the streets in the neat future.

hope Jo Cox pulls through.

Stupidity. Damn stupidity…

1 Like

re: Last post - didn’t realise she has died :slight_frown:

1 Like

So if the reports are true that the man responisble was a Britain First member/supporter - will he be described as a terrorist?

5 Likes

Unbelievable news. No one, no matter which party, deserves to die serving their constituents as Jo Cox has. Disgusting and disgraceful. Thoughts are with Jo’s family and friends.

Feel utterly, utterly disgusted with this news.

9 Likes

:lou_sad:

2 Likes

Thing is, whilst I utterly detest such groups as Britain First, I think we nees to be careful about assuming he did this because of any ingrained ideolgy, thats just speculation at this time/until we know more. He could be suffering from mental health problems or something else may have complelled himto commit this shocking murder.

2 Likes

Fucking atrocious. She has 2 young kids. 41 years old. What the actual fuck is going on ?

deepest condolences

4 Likes

I don’t give a fuck who did this. I don’t give a fuck that people are unpopular with others due to their opinion, the way they believe the way the world or country should run. People should not die doing this shit.

Genuinely appalled.

2 Likes

Ah of course.

White Guy does this = he’s just crazy (stigmatise mental health even more).

Brown guy does it = terrorist.

1 Like

Delicate time, KRG. I would proffer that all GA is suggesting is not jumping to any conclusions.

This site, perhaps more than any of its contemporaries, draws attention to the double standard you correctly raise.

3 Likes

Fair enough. I’m sorry if it came across as a dig at GA.

I’m just already seeing plenty of stuff along the lines of “how long until the mental health reports come out?”.

I have no doubt if the reports said it was a Muslim man shouting “Praise Allah” - this would be a terrorist incident. Yet, when it is reported as someone shouting Britain First - the immediate image is that of a White guy (whether that is correct or not) there is no mention of terrorism in the reports.

It is, as you say, a disgusting double-standard - and I honestly think it only serves to further stigmatise Mental Health.

4 Likes

Pap is right on this one KRG, I would be advocating the same whatever this guys origins or beliefs - I would add his colour did not even enter my thought process when making my post. Its a shocking thing, so understand where you are coming from. As for stigmatising mental health, you could not be further from the truth… the example was perhaps not as sensitively chosen, but it was by way ofillustration. I will let this go for now, but would appreciate some acknoledgement that this was about keeping an open mind when we know nothing.

2 Likes

As I said above, I’m sorry if it came across that way.

But, you have still gone straight to the mental health route. Which, when this is used to explain away these attacks commited by non-muslims it absolutely does further MH stigma.

Utterly appalling. I am having to remind myself this happened in the UK in 2016.

7 Likes

I understand where you are comming from, but these issues should NOT be ‘explained away’ - the pathetic double standards of the media, should not prevent a real and sensitive investigation into why this individual committed this crime. As someone who works within healthcare and has worked on many neurology and mental health projects, the ‘stigma’ is a result of misinformation and lack of knowledge. Patients who have progressive degenerating diseases, do at times act in irrational ways usually when off medication. When this is the REAL reason or contributory factor to the behaviour, we need to use this to educate people - that it is rare, that the person is not evil but ill and needs sympathy, no matter how difficult this may be. We do no service to anyone, least of all patients if we dont look to redress the misconceptions or prejudices… asmentioned above, I should hve been more sensitive to this when looking to illustrate that his ideology may not have bene the cause of his behaviour.

The sad double standards expressed with respect to acts commited by faiths or ethinic groups v the caucasians is sadly symptomatic of the idiocy an distrust that groups such as Britain First spread with their hideous ignorant bile… but that does not mean its Ok to jump to any conclusions…

Thoughts are with Jo’s family and friends at this tragic time.