🇼đŸ‡Ș Irish Elections 2020

I wouldn’t have too much disagreement with that Barry. A good deal of SF’s vote is coming from the youth.

However, protest votes under our system rack up millions of votes without really getting any representation. Under PR, you get to become the largest party.

If they do end up in that spot, and against convention they’re denied the opportunity to create a government, it’ll only cause more protest and a bigger share of the vote next time around.

I’ll go back to the point of it won’t mean a hoot in Northern Ireland, Southern elections can not interfere with Northern democracy, they’ll scare the unionists for sure but nothing more than that, but that will be where it ends.

I’ll answer my question to you as its very important, the whole thought process of a unionist is one of a siege mentality and what Irish unification would do to their heritage and being, the unionists in the South went from 10% to less than 3% very very quickly.
This runs very very deep in loyalist/unionist circles hence the process of the status quo unless Northern Ireland decides, the South can not have a say in any process.

There are hardliners that still feel that way, but most people just like having roads and prosperity and shit. Plus we are 21 years the Good Friday Agreement; the further we get away from it the more that enmity fades.

I think it’s inevitable. Maybe not in the next decade, but can’t imagine it taking much longer than that.

But it will come from the North Pap, not as you originally implied/posted, hardliners? No its ingrained in many,
"look at what happened to the Southern Unionists when Ireland went independent, they’re no more, want that to happen to us?"
This is always present in many even many of the moderates who voted remain, I’ve no doubt unification will happen, it will probably happen in our lifetime but that will only come from the centrist Unionist moderates and it will only come with huge assurances and guarantees of links still to the UK ie passports and the right to our institutions.

Reunification will be decided by the North.

The efforts are very much being led in the South. Leading something and deciding something are different things.

Nigel Farage led the Leave cause for years when it wasn’t fashionable. The British people decided it was going to happen.

If you think Sinn Fein is Southern then I suggest you look again, Belfast (West) controls that party, independence (I’m glad you know see it’ll come from the North) will only happen when the North Unionists want it, many are already sold in principle and them accepting it will lead to unification but not before.

I did not say they were Southern. I said they are leading their efforts from the South.

This is not a controversial opinion, and does not require all of their representatives to be from the South for them to campaign there.

This?

Sorry Barry. You will have to fill in the blanks. I don’t see how that statement makes Sinn Fein “Southern”.

Because you reference the Irish election and a possible reunification, the Irish election is in the South so why imply its on the cards via them? When its not and even if it were, it wouldn’t make a difference as I’ve explained to you.

I’m bored.

Please return when you’ve attained Key Stage 3 comprehension.

Diversion, comeback when you understand a little bit about Irish politics.

All this talk about Sinn FĂ©in, but is it a bit misleading?
I don’t know about Irish politics and the last place i’d look would English media(the title shows why. So self-centred), so a question.
Haven’t checked if this is correct, but king makers at best surely if correct?

“The DĂĄil has 158 seats (wiki) Sinn FĂ©in are only standing 42 candidates across 39 constituencies and won’t return all those”.

For any that have been paying attention rather than cheering/sulking, the lines have been already been set by Westminster(there’s a clue in the Melzer interview on the Assange thread) and from the little i know would explain the shift.

I think I’ve mentioned that before. They have enough candidates to bother the vote share. I’m sure they wish they’d fileded more.

I love Catherine Connolly. She’s an independent TD that I’ve put up on here a few times.

I’ll have a look. A link or two (not English)?
Your not the first i’ve heard mention

Again don’t know, but Barry’s comments about the North seem pertinent. It’s up to them(not Westminster) and i don’t see a better option for them, when the reality of the English decision starts to take effect.

Anyone who knows even the remotest about Ireland as it stands knows independence can only ever come from the North irrespective of what side you’re unless its revolution and a failure to recognise the GFA, Sinn Fein does recognise the GFA so what he implied is quite frankly cod shite, all the big players are signed up to that.
He also doesn’t understand what I’d said when Belfast ran the show, they call the shots and if they thought that having a full compliment of candidates would help them to achieve uniting 32 counties of course they fucking would.
They know as it stands they don’t have the nationalist numbers, they’ll only get that when the unionists come on board.

Polling day today. Not sure how long STV elections take to pan out. Monday?

So many of the results are in, and it appears that the Sinn Fein surge lasted until the end. They will regret not fielding more candidates. They’ll lose seats they could have had won just by fielding people.

Current projections are that they will be the second biggest party in the Dail.