I just don't get it

Keep sharing with us, it’s appreciated here. You literally have the badge to show it (I’m slightly jealous of that badge).

2 Likes

Exactly. After What’s the Story, you couldn’t put an album together from the rest that would come close to the first two.

There’s some great stuff on the first two albums, but meh, I’m largely unfussed about Oasis. That said, ‘Whatever’ was the first CD I ever bought. In my defence, I was 5 at the time.

1 Like

I do like a Korma every now again.

Blur never did anything for me and I would agree that apart from one or two albums Oasis were very overated. In fact that whole Britpop thing was a bit embarrasing for a veteran of the 60s and 70s like myself.

I will throw another grenade into the debate. A good percentage of Pink Floyds stuff was pants.

1 Like

As Pap says, music is highly subjective. The good thing is there is so much of it and so much to chose from. My favourite band back in the 70s was Emerson, Lake & Palmer. I liked classical music and I like rock music so the fusion really worked for me. I had their debute album and thought I would be the only person on the planet (apart from old Nice fans) who would like it. By 1974 they were one of the biggest bands on the planet. Even now I still cant believe how popular they were then as they were not a “rock band” in the conventional sense. I sat and watched Kanye West at Glastonbury the other night. I dont understand why people didnt just walk away but the crowd clearly enjoyed it so what do I know. Horses for courses and each to their own.

You’re too kind young man. I’m off to post some epic Astor Piazzolla _“Nuevo Tango” _ :wink:

Funnily enough I watched Sleaford Mods on BBC Glastonbury and thought they were feckin brilliant. Raw, aggressive, authentic, something different.

My enthusiasm has waned since watching videos and interviews. They are basically middle class rather than struggling working class, though most artists are. So their image of chavvy psychos is a bit misleading. Plus were does the singer’s twitches go when he’s not performing?

That said still love the lyrics and the delivery…

Originally posted by @KRG

Ha - I’m glad this has caught on. Some, er interesting choices. Have to confess I’m a big Nirvana & Arctics fan (didn’t love the last album mind). Used to like Kings of Leon, but they got very bad, very fast.

Originally posted by @Sadoldgit

Paul Weller ripped of the 60s mod bands/Beatles then when he left The Jame he morphed into Steve Winwood vocally but didnt have the chops.

Not sure about that. The look, yeah, but musically I don’t think they leant on the mod sound quite so much. They were closer to punk, and even that they were an odd fit for.

Some more for me. Fat White Family, much like Sleaford Mods, it’s just all bravado. Nothing of any substance their, just blokes being obnoxious and people lapping it up. Baffling.

Also, The Vaccines & Catfish and The Bottlemen (god that’s an awful name). Both the absolute definition of guitar bands made for Radio 1. Indie by numbers at it’s finest. No edge, no excitement and basically all their songs sound the exact same. Had the misfortune of catching the latter at Glasto the other week, at the risk of sounding like a grumpy old man, all the songs sounded the exact same. Couldn’t differentiate in the slightest.

Had misfortune of seeing Catfish and the Bottlemen - i could have fallen asleep standing up.

Agree on Florence. I just don’t get it. Seen her several times live.

If you listen to the early Who and Small Faces stuff you can see where Weller got a lot of Jam material from. The most blatant lift was from The Beatles Taxman. The Stranglers were just and updated Doors. That was a strange era. Everyone remembers the short lived Punk phase but Punk was just a blip. The main thrust was “New Wave.” That included The Jam where werent punk. A lot of what punk was about was the energy and not being worried if you couldnt play. Weller obviously had musical roots which he copied along with the mod style and instruments (Rickenbakers were used by The Beatles, The Who, The Byrds etc). For me the best New Wave stuff was going on in America - Talking Heads and Television for example. There was no reverse musical snobbery there about people who could play their instruments. Punk didnt blow the old guard away - they still continued to pack out stadium tours from the late 70s on. Punk was a flash in the pan that came and went very quickly. Very few went on to have long running musical careers, but I guess that was the whole point for many.

I was always more New Wave, it was an age thing.

I was surprised to see footage of the New York Dolls in later years, they were doing punk in 1973 when we were all Slade and The Sweet.

Despite the hype of the Pistols and the London scene, we were well behind the curve!

I think punk originated in the States and was born out of the NYD and Iggy Pop and the Stooges etc. The likes of Malcolm Maclaren picked up on it and the rest is history.

Queen. I loved Seven Seas of Rhye and bought the first few albums but after a while their signature ghey harmonies and that Brian May guitar sound started to grate to the point know where I cant bear to listen to them any more. I blame Live Aid. Before that they were just an average band, after LA they went stella. I could deal with them before they made it huge.

1 Like

Everybody has at least one act that they can’t stand. Mine are the Beach Boys. Healthy tans and perfect teeth - huh. And they ripped off Chuck Berry

Also pan pipe music. When the guys dressed in the ponchos are in the shopping precinct I have to resist an irrational urge to hurt them…

1 Like

Originally posted by @SO5-4BW

Everybody has at least one act that they can’t stand. Mine are the Beach Boys. Healthy tans and perfect teeth - huh. And they ripped off Chuck Berry

Also pan pipe music. When the guys dressed in the ponchos are in the shopping precinct I have to resist an irrational urge to hurt them…

I went to Peru a while back and everytime our coach stopped there seemed to be a pan pipe group waiting for us - just like The Fast Show. It became a standing joke.

I like the fact that Sleaford Mods reference Norbert Colon.

I was at Brockenhurst college with the singer from The Vaccines. We used to call him Justin King of the Emos. He was a massive twat.

2 Likes

Justin, King of the Emos - great name for a band.

1 Like

Apparently you aren’t alone with Coldplay pap:

Former Interpol member Carlos D has recalled how watching Coldplay perform live made him release [sic] he wanted to part ways with his band.

Coldplay, a band so abject other musicians quit the industry.

1 Like