📚 I am currently reading

On book seven of the Expanse.

I won’t spoil the content, but I will say that if you thought we’d seen the peak of holy shit moments on the show, we’ve not seen nothing yet.

I will also say that the present run of the TV series ending at Season 6 doesn’t mean it is over. There is a big time jump between books 6 and 7, and it’s used fucking wonderfully.

Told you theyre worth reading!

TBF someone is reading them to him…

1 Like

Buck off I’m flind :smiley:

1 Like

I am very impressed with how much of it stays relevant. The stuff in the seventh book, which I am almost done on, is a great example. Every bit of it is a consequence of everything else that has gone on.

I know that’s pretty common in a long running book series, but its the way they’ve employed those possibilities. I really hope they do that part of the story on TV when the time is right.

The stuff so far on telly has been excellent, but it’s a mere appetiser for shit that went down in this book, and I’m guessing the next two too.

1 Like

The madness of crowds by Douglas Murray.

Sounds riveting:

Ha Ha this is from the Guardian (I read that too), don’t you think you’re falling once again into an echo chamber of your views?

Its not too bad and its actually quite well reasoned, the first chapter called Gay.is particularly interesting and relevant.

Funny, I was going to suggest the same to you!

1 Like

Get out of that echo chamber, his views are conservative but much is common sense.

:joy: :man_facepalming:

Ok, so this is largely for @Goatboy’s benefit. Expanse books. All wrapped in spoiler.

Fucking hell, how epic is this shit? Getting toward the tail end of Book 8 and am just amazed with the journey I’ve been on.

Holy fuck moments I did not expect:-

• The emergence of the Laconians as Space Mongols/Nazis
  • The capture of the Storm
  • The disappearance of everything inside ring space
  • Bobby Draper fighting the Tempest and “winning”
  • Timothy’s head being taken off
  • The invasion of Laconia

Things I would not be surprised to see now:-

• Proto-Amos
  • A final book focusing on a scrap with the builders’ enemies.
  • An alive Marcos Inaros

This is a cracking read. Loads of background from the 60s onwards, and written as beautifully as you would expect from Clarke.

1 Like

Just started reading this Christmas pressie…

1 Like

That’s definitely on my list, as is the litsl I O W festival book. I am halfway through England’s Dreaming by Jon Savage, which has been on my list for a few years. My daughter picked it up in a charity shop and popped it in the post just after Christmas. A really comprehensive study of The Pistols and punk in general. Some outrageously funny anecdotes from those who were there, warts and all. Recommended. JCC would be poet laureate if I had my way.

1 Like

I read that years ago, excellent book but found it very heavy going, and I say that as a diehard Pistols fanatic.

Would be interested to read that as it was my first festival. Still at school I hitched down there wanting to see Hendrix. By the time he took the stage I was that tired I feel asleep and didn’t
wake up until the flare landed on the top of the stage near the end of his set.
Years later I got to know the guy who did all the artwork for the three festivals, he had many stories to tell about his experiences with the Faulk’s, wonder if they are all in there.

1 Like

Yeah I agree, it’s a bit of a slow read taking it all in, but that’s OK.

Yep they were always an endurance exercise…both the 69 & the 70 festival suffered from poor time keeping. The 70 Bath Music Festival two months before was even worse as it rained most of the weekend, I remember watching Dr. John on the Monday morning.

Rotherweird, by Andrew Caldecott.

Strange goings on in a town in the middle of England that is exempt from parliamentary oversight, refuses to be mapped, and is populated mostly by hereditary geniuses.

Very curious, funny historical fantasy. A historical fantasy set in the present day, in a town that has made it illegal to study history.

Good one if you like grown up fairy tales like Gormenghast, or Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell.