šŸ“š I am currently reading

The Accidental Further Advenures Of The Hundred Year Old Man by Jonas Jonasson

Easy reading humour. The depiction of world leaders, particularly Trump are good.

I heard about this book on Reasons to be Cheerful podcast and have downloaded it. Itā€™s the next on the list (very long one).
Radical Help: How we can remake the relationships between us and revolutionise the welfare state - Hilary Cottam
The project they discussed in the podcast really made an impact due to my job. How our way of solving things is imposed when we should ask what they need more. Some agency are doing this in a small way.

ā€œThe Last Lectureā€ by Randy Pausch. I had it as an audiobook, some weeks ago admiteddly. I drive a lot.

Just started ā€œThe seven deaths of Evelyn Hardcastleā€

Iā€™ve been instructed to read it as I ā€œmight enjoy something different than the usual shit you readā€

I am not hopeful but will report back - eventually.

:lou_sad:

Beastings by Benjamin Meyers (gradually getting through all his stuff).

The Extracted Trilogy by RR Haywood (is it fashionable to have double-Rs if youā€™re an author these days).

Satirical and funny at the same time, a light read but itā€™ll have you laughing

Nothing, on account of my Kindle flying back and forth to Singapore on an A380 ffs. :lou_angry:

2 Likes

Just coming to the end of The Old Ways by Robert Macfarlane. Those of you who like a walk in the country (@lifeintheslowlane, @saintbletch) will enjoy these tales of walks in England, Scotland, Spain, Palestine, and Sichuan. Makes me want to get the thick socks and Kendal mint cake out.

1 Like

Ooh, got some of that

Best before Jan 2018. I donā€™t get out that muchā€¦

Itā€™ll probably outlast all of us.

1 Like

Iā€™m currently reading The Eye Of The World by Robert Jordan.

An Xmas present from Young Adult #2

He wanted to read itā€¦so guess what I got.

Another epic like Game Of Thrones. Quite good, similar in some respects, but more accessible and easier to read. Apparently like GOT thereā€™s a few more books to readā€¦

Currently reading ā€œCider with Roadiesā€ by Stuart Maconie. A fun read. :lou_lol:

I am reading, yes actually reading Peter Hitchenā€™s The Phoney Victory, a book about the British folly in the Second World War.

Difficult read for @Barry-Sanchez, as the chief villains in our nationā€™s downfall were on the same side, exacting a heavy toll for assistance. Difficult to blame them; weā€™d defaulted on our WWI war loans and have never paid them back for that.

But the broad sweep of the thing is that Hitler was defeated by the Soviets and the Americans took us to the fucking cleaners. Like I say, a difficult read for Baz :slight_smile:

1 Like

Iā€™m now on the second of the Wheel Of Time series

Young Adult #2 is obviously happy as he gets to read the first one

Currently reading Soviet Milk by Nora Ikstena. Itā€™s about three generations of women in Soviet ruled Latvia.

Not a comedy then?

1 Like

I finally finished the Secret Barrister book. That too a while (not so many holidays between July 2018 and December 2018.
Anyway great book to explain the criminal justice system and its under funding and how that could impact on anyone who could end up as accused, victim or a witness.

And Iā€™ve hardly been flirting with him at all.
https://twitter.com/BenMyers1/status/1088885099486154752

Bargain for kindle users:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Beastings-Benjamin-Myers-ebook/dp/B00L1BB0WE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1549193184&sr=8-1&keywords=beastings+benjamin+myers

Itā€™s a pity as Robert Jordan died befiore he could finish the series, I believe his son finished them off.

Anyway Iā€™ve read the whole 13 book series, when I was getting the near the end, because of the time taken to bring them out, I had to go back and read them all from the start again. Can get very confusing with whatā€™s going on.

1 Like