šŸ“š I am currently reading

Recently finished Shtum and thoroughly enjoyed it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0119Q17ZK

It follows an excruciatingly slow-motion, marriage breakdown and tracks the subsequent decision about where their profoundly autistic son will end up - both in terms of his education and his long-term, post-break-up home.

All of this is set against the protagonistā€™s drink problem, failing business, money issues and the discovery that his father, a Jewish refugee, is very, very ill.

Itā€™s a debut novel but youā€™d never know as itā€™s written with confidence and such a clear voice.

Itā€™s sad, itā€™s funny and I loved it.

Best thing Iā€™ve read recently is The Gallows Pole, by Benjamin Myers. Which is based around the story of a gang of coiners in Yorkshire in the 18th century; basically a bunch of fellas snipping bits off coins and minting their own money. Itā€™s a fucking brutal story but almost delicious in its brutality, with a load to say about our continued struggle over state approved impoverishment. And the notion that capitalism is basically the vicious barbs of wounded male pride.

And now Iā€™m finally reading Dune some 30 years after starting it as a child, andā€¦ itā€™s really good! But you probably already knew that.

3 Likes

Another holiday and a bit of reading. My kindle is playing up so didnā€™t get through much.

Why Iā€™m No Longer Talking to White People About Race by Reni Eddo-Lodge (spoiler she hasnā€™t actually stopped). I can see there are some mixed reviews of the book. I found it to be an interesting and thought provoking read.

part through The Secret Barrister: Stories of the Law and How Itā€™s Broken which is a bit of an eye opener about the legal system.

1 Like

FYI all, I wanted to remember @Intinikiā€™s book recommendations post so I bookmarked* it.

It will now be in my bookmarks when I come to buy my next few books.

Press your Avatar and then the bookmark icon to see your bookmarks.

Great for marking posts that you donā€™t have time to reply to.

Bookmarks are excellent !

* no pun intended

2 Likes

I have just started Zone 23 by CJ Hopkins and its better than i could have ever hoped.
I will update when finished, but in the meantime hereā€™s someone elseā€™s review.

ā€œZone 23 by C. J. Hopkins is like a head-on train crash between comedian/linguist George Carlin and science fiction writer Philip K. Dick.ā€
images(35)

Anyone read it?

ah this will be handy!

2 Likes

Sort of following dingers recommendation I am reading Pig Iron by Benjamin Meyers and so far am thoroughly enjoying it. Cheers dinger. Will do a proper review when I am finished. Also down loaded The gallows pole so looking forward to that too.

1 Like

how%20to%20be%20a%20woman

Pretty unequivocally a ā€œwomanā€™sā€ book from the title but whoever you are Iā€™d say, if you didnā€™t enjoy this bookā€¦

1. You have no sense of humour AND
  2. Youā€™re a fuckinā€™ misogynist.

Probably the funniest book Iā€™ve read for many yearsā€¦laugh out loud on every page and probably the most profound book Iā€™ve read in years too.

1 Like

Did you buy it thinking it was an instruction manual?

1 Like

No needā€¦my wife is my mentor. :lou_lol:

1 Like

Ruud Gullit - How to Watch Football - this will be my holiday book in readiness for the new season when I come back. I will be the next Motson or Keown.

The Martian.
Loved the film. The book is even better.

Is the title

How to Bea Woman

Or

How to Be A Woman?

1 Like

The follow up Artemis isnā€™t as good. An OK read written with film screenplay all over it. IMHO.

Either way, youā€™d like it. :lou_wink:

1 Like

Have now finished The Gallows Pole, a tale of the Crag Valley Coiners, a group of 18th Century Yorkshire counterfeiters. The book pits the Coiners against the newly formed establishment as they are pursued by the taxman and other men of the King. Meyers paints a bleak picture of the hardships faced by country folk in the face of encroaching industrialisation.
Pig Iron, also by Benjamin Meyers is the story of John-John Wisdom, a young traveller released from prison and struggling to come to terms with life in turn of the Millennium North East of England and the spectre of a violent father. Violence and the threat of it runs through this book as John-Johnā€™s traveller heritage and bond with the natural world clashes with the drugs, squalor and hopelessness of council estate kids on the dole.
A cheery holiday read :lou_wink_2:
Actually I thoroughly enjoyed both books.

2 Likes

Are we reading real books or E-Books ?

Or does it not matter?

I donā€™t think it matters. More pertinent is whether you are reading the book or listening to an audiobook.

I used to listen to a lot of audiobooks on my commute to work. Do I count them as books Iā€™ve read?

Yes, of course. Why ever wouldnā€™t you? You stuck all of the words in your brain, in order.

I got through about the first 15 mins of an audio book and gave up as the reader was Baldrick from blackadder and I could not dissassociate Baldrick from the book he was reading so it was not making any sense.