👩‍🏫 🏡 Home-Schooling

So we are now in week 8 of lockdown and home-schooling, which, although challenging at times with a 3 and a 7 year old, has actually been amazing.

We’ve been using resources sent to us by the school, including some online Maths sites (namely TimesTablesRockStars and My Maths).

As my eldest is going to be missing out on her SATS I’m going to be a mean Dad and download some old papers and make her do the tests at home under “exam conditions”.

The kids are also dealing with it very well. My youngest doesn’t understand Covid so it’s been difficult to tell him why we can’t go to the park etc.

How has everyone else been dealing with the home-schooling, and issues that have come with it?

At least it means I’ve been able to play with and build stuff meant for kids…

My daughter (5 &2 y-o) just asked for our address with the line Fuck it. I’m DHL’ing them to you.
Have helped the kids upstairs doing English lessons 7 & 3. Watching “English TV was hilarious”
Mrs P_F’s elder brothers family is tougher. 8 y-o Oxfird English course is causing them real problems - it is all in English & her Mum speaks less English than I do Polish so helping her is not easy remotely. Her elder sister 16 taking O-level English is really hard work to help possessive objective subjective and stuff. Jeez.

More important, Daughter has to start being in offices from 16th May. Her hubby doing 7 day weeks 16+ hours a day so who the hell looks after the kids? Her Mum my ex. Works in a care home so no way they will move her in. In laws are both ultra high risk cancer & heart.
Stay at home you cry, unfortunately right now their stuff is (non medically) right up there on has to be done now scale.
Worrying

1 Like

It’s very difficult - we’re actually very lucky that I’m off work otherwise we wouldn’t be able to do anywhere near what we are now. I will stay off until we’ve decided we’re happy for the kids to go back to school - not Government mandated - and then try to find work again.

2 Likes

I’m working from home, Mrs BTripz has been furloughed so can look after the girls, although because of the nature of their schooling they don’t have a lot to do.

My 13 year old has lots of work set by the school so he just busies himself on my laptop whilst I am working in the same room as him. I answer his questions where I can and where he has them…

It’s been not too bad so far…

3 Likes

Be aware that your eldest would probably have already done the relevant past papers. You could probably spend the time better by getting them to do project work, story writing, or something else that will keep them occupied and have a benefit for them. There are some great science projects out there for home learning.

3 Likes

8 Likes

I agree.

Personally, I’d hyphenate that.

2 Likes