Heroes Reborn - Dark Matters

Seriously pumped for this too, I hope they do the original justice

Heroes Season One was fantastic right up until the last episode, which was disappointing.

Never really recovered that early season form. Hopefully, they’ve got stuff properly plotted for a few seasons this time around.

1 Like

I’m quite interested in this. It looks like Hiro (hero?) is returning but without the smiley face. Maybe it’s another Japanese looking guy and I’m mistaken. In any case, I’ve got a real problem with time travel in a story - it means every previous event is subject to change and we have to understand a slough of ‘rules’ about what can or can’t be achieved. Why couldn’t he just teleport?

It’s basically a Bobby Ewing cop out and it annoys me and it does my head in.

I especially hate it in Doctor Who, though I rarely watch. In the ‘good’ old days, it was straightforward batlling with baddies and none of this messing around with pantechnicons and time space continuum malarkey.

So I’ve had a wee look at Heroes: Reborn. Let’s get the ugly out of the way immediately. The setup for the series is a complete rip-off of the event that kicks off Marvel’s Civil War, as are some of the consequences, such as superpowered people having to register with the government. Coming soon to a Captain America film near you.

The real question is whether this reboot, with a largely rebooted cast, is worthwhie in its own right. I think it is. I think most people will agree that for its time, the first season of Heroes was amazing right up until the last episode, which disappointed. It lost its way after that, getting diminishing returns in each series. A huge part of the problem was over-reliance on a few family dynamics, especially the Bennetts and Petrellis.

I am honestly not sure that this setup will work, but it is almost all new characters, and Heroes has always been a good show at a joyful reveal. There’s an interesting new character that can transport between real life and a certain MMO, which l was baffled by at the start ot the show; I really couldn’t see how it might affect the wider plot, but in a clever twist, when she teleports out, she sometimes comes back into real life facing a similar amount of danger as she was in-game.

Another reveal is a kid who can teleport things, but doesn’t know where he teleports them to. That’s a particularly well handled piece of exposition about some of the trials the boy has been through.

They’ve quickly established an overarching conspiracy theme for the series. The huge events that precede a world where Heroes (or evos, as referred to in-show) are hunted are hotly-disputed, and with justifiable reason. I am on-board for the next episode at least.

Didn’t want to put this in the Good Shows thread. I’m not sure if it’s a good show yet, but as far as big plot that needs to be stopped at all costs go, they’ve done pretty well.

Noah has always been a good character and remains the centre of the rebooted show. Sort of needs to be there, really. I suppose the nagging doubt I have is that its hitting a lot of the same beats. Japanese geeks on a quest in America? Check. Evil corporation that does bad things to superpowered people? Check.

I’m continuing to watch because I am still interested in how far they’ll push the mooted endgame, but the jury is still out.

Originally posted by @pap

Another reveal is a kid who can teleport things, but doesn’t know where he teleports them to. That’s a particularly well handled piece of exposition about some of the trials the boy has been through.

I had to look that boy up because I was sure I’d seen him somewhere before and I was right, he planned Peter Pan in Once Upon a TIme, anyway it turns out he’s originally from Lymington!

Just that nothing else exciting. I’m still on the first two episodes so can’t comment much except I would disagree about the whole evo registration thing being a rip-off of Marvels Avengers which in itself is a rip-off of the X-Men plot. Oh Well.