Have you tried

Abiu. A soft fruit that tastes remarkably like creme caramel. Very yummy.

Any other suggestions for new taste sensations?

1 Like

I’d tell you what durian tasted like if only I had the courage to eat the foulest smelling fruit I’ve ever encountered. (If you’ve been around dead people, it’s close to that.)

Anyone actually tried it? I’m told it’s not bad.

1 Like

You guys are maybe well travelled and educated in exotic fruits

Some would say showing off, not me though, I’m happy with a humble peach or apple

I prefer my fruit to not smell of human corpse

Durian flavoured Ice cream is wonderful

Who has seen the pots of Shropshire fresh air that are now on sale

They only sell it in Phillipinos

Ice cream with green stuff mmm

Originally posted by @TedMaul

Ice cream with green stuff mmm

Durian is white when it’s fresh well whitish

Just going by the pic fella :slight_smile: And the best I can compare is a 4 pack of Sainsbury low fat yoghurt :frowning:

That picture is not of durian Ice cream. it is a pot of Fresh Shropshire Air or in otherwords an empty pot when you take the lid off.

Jackfruit is pretty tasty, same size as a durian but not spiky and doesn’t smell like vomit. Can’t really compare the taste to anything in particular though.

Mitihue: a sauce made from the jelly of young coconuts fermented in seawater(traditionally) with prawn heads. Sounds revolting but is actually delicious, particularly with poisson cru (raw fish salad).

1 Like

Balut is a favourite down here fully formed Duck in the egg still, absolutely revolting but the locals like it and the tourists all have to try one. head beak feet claws it all gets eaten.

1 Like

I managed to eat a bowl of durian ice cream for a bet in Singapore. However I cannot attest to smell nor taste as I had a stinking cold at the time and had just eaten a bowl of laksa that had been made in the fiery pits of hades. It couldn’t have been that bad.

I was once served a traditional dish of the highland people of Madagascar - deep fried whole softshell crabs and stirred fried maggots. Pretty good.

Just a word of warning for anyone flung far - don’t touch anything alcoholic you’re served in a Borneo longhouse. It’s a local entertainment to watch stupid westerners get beyond out of their minds. Funny what song lyrics you remember - or didn’t even know you knew - when you’re that far gone.

2 Likes

Have you tried the cream of Sum Yung Gi, Goaster?

1 Like

On another trip out east I was taken to a restaurant that “did the best chicken’s feet in Singapore” - Fuck knows what the worst are like.

Cold slimey skin and a mouthful of tiny bones you have to keep picking out.

If you suck the skin of just right you can pull the tendons and use the claws to pick up the pork bits on the other plate instead of eating the chicken feet. :smile:

One of the guys at work brought back some Durian flavoured sweets, I looked up Durian but still persevered…wish I hadn’t to be honest.