Hampshire Cricket 2017

It’s never too early to start the cricket thread. Actually no better time than November!

Fidel Edwards back and fit - presumably as a Kolpak, because George Bailey, ex Aussie ODI captain is our overseas player - http://www.ageasbowl.com/cricket/news/hampshire-cricket-announce-signing-of-george-bailey/

Also new deals for four youngsters who were the silver lining in a grim season last year - Alsop, McManus, Wheal and Crane

And we’re still in Div One! (sorry Durham. Fk you Kent)

6 Likes

Love it - thats it now. All posts about Hants should be done in November, so we can all revel in the positivity!

Yeah, all is good and a double helping of Fk you Kent!

2 Likes

Hampshire haven’t lost for eight weeks now!

#unbeaten

4 Likes

One question before we go any further are they likely to improve ove the winter months or will we still see the same next year?

We’ll improve - just go with the November positivity Philippine!

2 Likes

The graph indicates that we dodged relegation by the skin of our teeth in 2015, then we got relegated in 2016 but reprieved.

So there had better be a change of direction…

George Bailey to re-sign for Hants I don’t remember anything about his first stint with us.

Fixtures are out for 2017 (note Phil that this is a link).

Also there will be a round of day night games (for which the England players WILL be made available) during the games on the 26th-29th June.

Day-night Championship fixtures (26-29 June 2017)

• Division One: Essex v Middlesex, Hampshire v Somerset, Warwickshire v Lancashire, Yorkshire v Surrey

Still unbeaten!

Interesting article on Hampshire’s years of T20 success

Often good articles on here - blog on Hants history

1 Like

Hampshire quiet on re-signing Abbot as a long term Kolpak player

No, not the Abbot that has just posted the best bowling figures in the Big Bash but the crocked on his first run-up Abbot

BBC Solent Sport@ solentsport 1m1 minute ago

. @ Rileerr issued statement confirming he’s signed 3 year deal with @ hantscricket

BBC Solent Sport@ solentsport 7m7 minutes ago

. @ Kyle_Abbott87 has said after Proteas Test win over Sri Lanka that he has signed a contract with @ hantscricket

1 Like

Great signing(s) - and both three-year deals. We could have a competitive team at this rate!

On the down side - Topley has a shoulder injury

1 Like

Good news

Hampshire Cricket@ hantscricket 4m4 minutes ago

More

Hampshire Cricket are pleased to confirm that batsman Michael Carberry has returned to training this week.

2 Likes

What do we think about this Sotonian cricket fans?

I’m very much opposed - think it’ll mean fewer people being able to go. The big mistake in terms of public interest was putting everything on Sky, wasting the potential legacy of the interest generated by the2005 Ashes

From a Hampshire point of view I strongly suspect that we won’t be one of the eight chosen anyway. The ‘city’ stadiums are supposed to be walk-up grounds - and the Rose Bowl is anything but that!

I’d think three in London (Lord’s, Oval, Olympic Stadium) plus Cardiff, Birmingham, Nottingham, Manchester, Leeds

Thoughts?

There will be a South Team and I’m pretty confident it will be based here.

If there is - will you go and watch?

In 3 years time?

Possibly?

We’re gently drifting towards an extra-time one-ball Super Tuesday mega-shootout between Solent Sloggers and_ The Dagenham Fiestas…_

Arlott mutters and spins in his grave.

I’m not sure at all - I think people have grown up supporting the counties. I don’t think that you can just create new teams and loyalties out of fresh air. But obviously they’re not aiming this at ‘gentlemen of a certain age’ like you and me

I’ve alwasy thought the ECB should stop apologising for the county product - old, stuffy, takes too long, etc etc and start talking it up. The attraction of new people when T20 first started, then the 2005 Ashes was a golden opportunity which was wasted. T20 crowds ares still pretty good though. Looks to me like they’ve seen the sucess of the IPL and the Big Bash and are just trying to impose that on English condiitons. But this isn’t Australia or India and - much as they wish they were - the ECB are not starting with a blank sheet. I don’t care about some half-arsed ‘South’ concept - I’m a Hampshire supporter

Baseball seems to get it right - they make a virtue of their teams histories