🇬🇷 Greece: Crisis in the cradle of democracy

Is Tokyo still slipping you one up the drainpipe?

2 Likes

Am I invisible ffs?

2 Likes

Originally posted by @Tokyo-Saint

Am I invisible ffs?

No you have a large cowboy hat and in Swaythling that will sure catch the eye, the ladies will go crazy for that shit.

Can you two boys take your flirting off my Greece thread please?

xx

1 Like

Yeah bail out Barry, this is serious stuff.

Was watching newsnight last night and they interviewed people from the left and the right wing popular press. Interestingly both thought Greece would stay in the Euro. The right thought the Greeks would accept the austerity terms as laid out by the sauerkrauts, the left thought that by refusing them, the ECB would realise the Greeks aren’t going to be bullied so would offer a deal to avoid contagion and the Italians and Spanish joining in.

I saw that but was merely admiring the mans beard and ladies lovely colour that she had done on her beautiful thick hair.

The Greeks are seeking a further bailout, to be discussed at an emergency meeting tonight.

They’ll bottle it ie the radical left that was supposed to tell Europe where to go, Merkel will dole out some crumbs and they’ll snap it up.

Crowdfunding Greece’s debt:

Fair effort from the internet.

Poor effort from Apple.

1 Like

Interestingly, that strategy is actually more sensible for a country than it is for a person.

Interesting article that shows just how inflexible the EU has been in treating with Greece.

http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2015-07-01/europe-wants-to-punish-greece-with-exit

When you owe a hundred thousand pounds, the bank owns you. When you owe a hundred million pounds, you own the bank.

4 Likes

tks CB i will see if i can get them to lend me more

it doesn’t necessarily show that Greece is being punished, it’s an opinion.

Originally posted by @Barry-Sanchez

it doesn’t necessarily show that Greece is being punished, it’s an opinion.

It’s more than an opinion. The EU won’t be happy until the Syriza government is gone. Tsirpas was ready to cave yesterday. The EU remained insistent that no deal can be done until the referendum.

I hope they’ve the balls to say no.

New interview from Varoufakis

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/videos/2015-07-02/varoufakis-says-he-will-quit-if-greeks-vote-yes-

A pretty partisan view but makes one or two interesting points

http://wire.novaramedia.com/2015/06/in-defence-of-greece-6-myths-busted/

1 Like

Partisan it may be; I wouldn’t disagree with much of it though - particularly the part about the shared responsibility.

Gotta love Varoufakis. During that interview I linked, they asked if Germany was purposefully seeking regime change.

The dude quotes Francis Urquart in response.

Greece far outspent what it had and hid it for years, of course they should pay it back, the pensioners retiring at 50 weren’t bitching then but they are now, why don’t they cut back more on their military budget? Its a sticking point they wont budge on as well as tax breaks for the Islands, why didn’t they say anything 10 years ago?

Greece wasn’t alone in cooking its books to look good for the EU, and besides, there is still the question of responsible lending to address, both at the time the money was lent and now, when the money needs to be repaid.

If Greece were a person applying for a loan, the lending institution would carry out checks to determine the level of risk, denying the finance if the risk was deemed too great. That didn’t happen, because Greece was more like a person with an implicit, but ultimately effective guarantor behind it.

If Greece were a person behind on a loan, any arbitration involving repayment would take into account a person’s ability to pay. A court won’t rule in a way that makes a person destitute.

Yet that’s exactly what the EU want to foist upon Greece. Reforms so swingeing that the growth required for Greece to be able to repay its debts will never occur. Source? The last five years. If a British judge would not rule in a way that would make a single person destitute, I find it fucking disgraceful that the EU can rule to make an entire country so.

2 Likes