šŸ“ŗ GOOD SHOWS (no capeshit pls)

I watched the first of sky TVs ā€˜Gangs of Londonā€™. Iā€™m still undecided. Many parts of it were really good but I found the fight scenes, whilst violent, were a little too showy. Iā€™m not a fan of ā€˜unrealisticā€™ scraps in movies with martial arts type nonsense and whilst this isnā€™t totally fair in this it still looked a bit inauthentic.
Joe Cole from peaky blinders fame is the lead and right now Iā€™m not sure he can pull off the role. I may well be wrong. I hope so.

Having a lot of fun dipping in and out of the Breaking Bad universe. Now that Iā€™ve seen it all, I feel no compunction about watching some of the better episodes out of sequence and in isolation.

Iā€™d be up for a rewatch, but there are bits of the first seasons, such as the sister-in-lawā€™s kleptomania, and the whole Skylar thing in general (takes her a long while to become interesting).

In that sense at least, Saul is a better show - there seems to be very little fat in the episodes there, and I think a big part of that is down to the decision to focus on Jimmy/Saul and Mike throughout, whether theyā€™re in each otherā€™s worlds or not.

Itā€™s excellent stuff, and Iā€™ve even found myself watching a lot of interviews. Sounds like one of the most fun places to work on Earth.

3 Likes

Yep, I love Better Call Saul. Agree with you on certain aspects of Breaking Bad too - but I could quite easily rewatch the whole lot, having seen it all just the once.

Saul though is just brilliant from start to as far as Iā€™ve got (halfway through the latest series). As you say, thereā€™s no spare parts there; everything in the script is salient and matters. Quite a feat to write that well over a long stretch.

1 Like

Saul is that rare thing. A spin-off that is actually worth folks time.

The antagonists, even in the first couple of seasons, are as scary and impenetrable as the Breaking Bad antagonists in their own way. Those first few seasons with Chuck (probably McKeanā€™s best ever acting performance) were fantastic stage setters for why Jimmy is the way he is.

One season left. What will become of Kim, the other huge character to emerge from all of this?

2 Likes

Please, both of you, stop.

Iā€™m only halfway through Breaking Bad, now I have to whore myself out to (is it 7 seasons) Better Call Saulā€¦

Getting that Netflix subscription has ruined me, ruined me you hear.

3 Likes

Breaking Bad = 5 season
Better Caul Saul = 5 season out, one to go.

Iā€™ve got the last episode of Season 5 to goā€¦what am I going to do until next year? :woozy_face:

Fargo really is excellent.

5 Likes

David Thewlis was excellent, Iā€™d rank the series from favourite to least favourite: 3, then 1, then 2.

1 Like

Just watched ā€œGone Girlā€ on Netflix this afternoon. Nicely done with Ben Affleck and Rosamund Pike.

Rosamund is so vulnerable. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Theyā€™re all massively compelling though for their own reasons. I enjoyed every single big bad and enjoyed the fact they were so different. An utterly malevolent string puller in the first season, toying with people for his own gain.

Didnā€™t see the second seasonā€™s main badass emerge until it actually happened, and that is why I might eventually agree with you on running order.

I have only seen the third season once though, something I plan to rectify.

Thatā€™s how good it is, @lifeintheslowlane - itā€™s a repeat watcher in the same way the film is.

2 Likes

Great film that, David Fincher is a very talented guy. And it bothers me that Iā€™ve never been more attracted to Rosamund Pike than in this film :flushed:

2 Likes

Is it actually possible to have any moment in life where you could be LESS than seemingly screaming attracted to Rosamund Pike?

1 Like

So Iā€™ve been watching the latest season of Westworld which has become typical ā€œhumans are so much better than they areā€ crap, however the after season credits hint to a reprise for the next season.

However I was recognising one of the main actors for season 3 without knowing why and then I realisedā€¦Jessie Pinkermanā€¦

Isnā€™t it Pinkman?

Scratch that, isnā€™t that Aaron Paul?

It is, youā€™re totally correct, in both assertions.

It was confusing as Iā€™m catching up with Braking Bad at the same time as watching Westworld.

For some reason I kept expecting Caleb (Aaron Paul) to add Bitch to the end of his sentences without working out why!!

Then I checked IMDB and it suddenly all became clear.

And they shot Marshawn Lynch in the last episode. I wonder if that will stop him returning to the Seattle Seahawks?

1 Like

Looking forward to series 2 of ā€œWhat we do in the shadowsā€ which is due soon - in fact Iā€™m shitting myself with excitement.

This will hopefully be good as wellā€¦ Tomorrow

1 Like

Iā€™ve subscribed to Disney+ and have been catching up on old Simpsons episodes. Easy to forget how brilliant and heartfelt that show was in its early years. Iā€™ve just watched Lisaā€™s First Word and cried at the end, like I always do.

Big jess, init.

1 Like

Have you found the episode where they predict you crying yet??

1 Like