Giving your seat up on the tube

My rule of thumb is

a) give it up for a lady (any age), pregnant or not.

B) if they are obviously disabled

c) if anyone looks older than me.

D) young children who are with parents in a seat.

The problem basing it on age, is that I think of myself being much younger than I am, so offering seats to people in their 30’s!

Quite interested that women should be offered a seat. Not seen much of that around London or anywhere when I’ve been commuting.

I think unfair to set an expectation that guys should give up their seat to women. A lot of guys are actually really sweet on the tube and when there’s a seat that’s theirs to be taken, and they offer it up, I always double check if they’re sure, because I think it’s weird they feel they have to, and I think it’s weird when a woman expects this.

Well, Lou, speaking as someone from a generation that had “ladies first” instilled in them, I don’t find it weird; and, as such, I always offer my seat to a lady.

Except in a lifeboat.

5 Likes

And it’s sweet, don’t get me wrong. It’s a really nice gesture. But if you’re not from that generation, it feels odd because there’s no need (unless woman is in heels, looking white in the face due to period pain, or pregnant).

What was the generation, as it was certainly always instilled I me as well…I dont think its due to generation, I think it’s to do with common courtesy and politeness.

1 Like

You’ll probably charge them to sit there Jordan…

Small note of caution. She may be a fat bint, rather than pregnant and you will get a slap for your troubles.

2 Likes

Surely its better to use your discretion, I give up my seat on the underground to anyone who I believe needs it, that to me is the way to go.

Who is this Jordan you keep mentioning by the way?

last time I was in London, I had to eject a disabled man from a seat meant for normal people. I threw the cheeky fucker to the floor and shouted at him to use the says meant for his type. They want it all, these disabled people. Seats with their names on and then the chance to use everyone else’s seats. Not on my watch, mate.

7 Likes

I would definitely give my seat up for Fatso.

Always give your seat up for a lady…or for anyone male or female who looks like they need it more than you.

I would give up the whole carriage.

3 Likes

Chertsey has not seen The Wolf of Wall Street?

FFS, I’m sick of this dimension hopping business. If anyone can get me back to Earth Prime so I can see actual football results, please PM me*.

* Don’t bother if the past few years of Southampton FC glory have been naught but a fictive dream and we’re still languishing in L1.**

** I know. Fucking glory boys, innit?

I’ll give you my seat when you pry it from my cold, dead arse.