šŸ—£ Gigs

I actually saw them live at a free gig on a beach over that place back in '94, supported by Roachford.
Both were great even though I was sober

Saw him on the Red Wedge tour supported by Attaco Decente.
God Iā€™m old.

Check out the shorts hun (just visible).

:wink:

Iesu Mawr !, Iā€™ve got tickets to see Mr Bragg at Cardigan Castle in a couple of weeks. I can see why they are keeping quiet about the support act.

4 Likes

Do you live in Cardigan L C? I was down there a couple of weeks ago, family live there. I lived in the area myself for 16 years until 2002. went to the castle to see "From The Jamā€™, a couple of years a go, very good they were too. Also went to a reggae evening there a while ago.

1 Like

Cardigan castle?

4 Likes

You have too much time on your hands my friend; too much timeā€¦

1 Like

Has anybody seen Brushy One String? Appearing in Manc soon, cheap as chips. Ska/Reggae and plays a guitar which only has one string!! Of the few tracks on You Tube looks like it could be a good night.

1 Like

Twas a cracking three nights at The Wedgewood Rooms, save for the fact that I had to spend it in the company of the worldā€™s most sarcastic man (@Rallyboy).

First night was Billā€™s usual set with stuff from anywhere in his back catalogue. Second night featured songs only from the first three albums and last night was from the next 3 (but not The Internationale).

We laughed, we cried, we learned a lot and came out more determined to engage again in politics - as I always do after a Bragg gig.

Met him many times before but he was never so generous with his time. @Rallyboy and I were speaking to him for ages after the gig. Top bloke (Bragg not The RaleighBoy).

4 Likes

No, I donā€™t live in Cardigan, we are about an hours drive up the Teifi valley. Do go down there quite often as Theatre Mwldan is the best place around for culture. Saw Tinariwen at the Castle last year and have seen a few plays there, a really good setting if the weathers fine. Was aiming to eat at the Piazza Tipi last night but they are not yet on summer hours so ended up watching the sunset from The Ship in Tresaith. Were you at the Harvest Fairs in Cilgerran in the early nineties ?. Some of my favourite ever festivals.

1 Like

Front view please or that is Pullover Castle.

2 Likes

I read that in a comedy Welsh accent so feel free to call me a twmffat

:wink:

1 Like

BoyO

Oh yes, i went to the Harvest Fairs, probably my favourite memories of any festivals i have been to. The site at Cilgerran was a perfect spot. I particularly remember a band called The Dharmas. I also went to Fishguard when they re sited the festival there, but it wasnā€™t the same. Cilgerran was a magical weekend. I have had many a pint and lunch at The Ship. The whole coastline there is beautiful and still totally unspoilt. I had a shop in Cardigan market hall during the late 80s through the 90s, selling collectable vinyl, music related t shits and the like, also what could be termed ā€˜smoking materialsā€™! Lived in a small hamlet called Pontsian, which was about 30 minutes drive from Cardigan. My son lives in Cardigan, my daughter in St Dogmaels.

2 Likes

Was probably a customer of yours as you covered a couple of my interests, wouldnā€™t have been a regular as donā€™t/didnā€™t get to Cardigan much during working hours. Yes, The Dharmas were a great live band who played a lot around W.Wales. Another good live band I enjoyed at the Harvest Fairs were the Tragic Roundabout, Folk/Punk/Klezmer. I too went to the Fishguard Fair, it felt like being in a Mad Max movie. I know Pontsian well, live nearby (you must drive faster than me). My children went to Ysgol Capel Dewi and used to share the bus with Pontsian school when they went swimming in Llandysul. Spent sometime about 6 years ago working on the Old Post Office there.

1 Like

Small world.

So within a week and a bit Iā€™ve Frank Turner 5 times. He did a little set upstairs in pub near Kings Cross for a book launch. Heā€™s written a short story in the book which was inspired by one of his songs. The book is called ā€œTen-word Tragediesā€. We got to meet him again, got a hug and he signed the book.

We are also seeing him this sunday. Restraining order soon to be in post no doubt.

5 Likes

Tell him to get his ass to Krakow for a secret gig!

It does sound a bit stalkerish tbf.

so busy olā€™ weekend.
Saturday was On Blackheath festival (which I moaned about on another thread). The bands were great just didnā€™t get to see as much as Iā€™d hoped.
I have never seen Jamiroquai. I remember people going to see them when I was in college (I had to check when they started to confirm that but sadly it was 1992).
I really enjoyed it, great sound and Jay Kay still has a great voice. Briefly saw Swing out Sister. Saw a bit more of Soul II Soul. Never heard of The Roots but really enjoyed them too.

!

The on Sunday off up to Hatfield House for Folk By the Oak.
Mainly for the 6th viewing of Frank Turner in 2 weeks.
Saw Grace Petrie (great) and The Staves (meh) and did listen to Elephant Session too (not for me).

We ended up on the edge of the ā€˜moshpitā€™ twice. I could have pushed forward and tried to be the woman he dances with. But I suppose I got a hug the other day and will be happy with that.

So glad I work part time now. Itā€™s taking longer to recover from all these gigs.

3 Likes