🗣 Gigs

Afraid I dont know the last 2 either.

Wow what an incredible night, finally getting to see Alice Cooper at long last. My 1st ever LP was Billion Dollar Babies … and 4 tracks from it were featured, with the Title Track probably being the highlight of the show for me. Graet showmnaship and music and with 3 guitarists belting out riffs it was a powerful show indeed. Thoroughly recommend seeing him … he’s not lost it at all, and he’s not just an ageing artiste doing a tour to top up his pension pot!! He rocked.
The Stranglers … 6th time I’ve seen them, but 1st time in such a big arena and one where we were sat down … doesn’t really work for them. Being support means a reduced setlist and they didn’t reach the heights of previous gigs. Ok, but not the right venue at all.
Funniest moment was adlib of lyrics to Peaches … changing the lyrics from 'I can think of a lot worse places to be, Like down in the streets Or down in the sewer, or even on the end of a skewer" … to “Being sat in The Stretford End, on a Saturday afternoon”
Inititially I wasn’t going to see the 1st support act listed as MC50, luckily a quick google just before I left I discovered it was The MC5’s name change to celebrate 50 years together. I went in early to watch them out of a sense of homage to the band who brought us the immortal lines “Kick out The Jams Muther Fuckers” which I’ve seen covered by a multitude of bands over the years. They were fine, several of the guys including singer were from original line up so even older than me!! Once again obviously the arena way too big but a fun band who would be worth seeing in a small venue.
All in all a great night, but one thing that struck me, was that this was my first gig in a huge all seater indoor arena for absolutely yonks, and the crowd were all so well behaved when it came to the end of the set the call for an encore was barely above enthustiastic clapping. Back in my day you had to scream, hollar, whistle etc for all you were worth to get an encore, now it’s just a given!! I thought maybe it was just a Dubai thing but no, it seems this is the way things work now. A bit like how Sky, The EPL and all seater stadiums have watered down the atmosphere at Football matches. Olde git rant over.
Peac and love maaaaan. x

7 Likes

If only we had a gig thread :sunglasses:

1 Like

As it’s not on the gug thread I can mention that Alice is a really great guy and a damned good golfer :roll_eyes:

If only we had a gig thread :sunglasses:

drop_of_blood snake Alice Cooper, Stranglers and MC5’s at MEN

Music and gigs

Er … I posted it in Music and Gigs Forum. HTH.

Vincent is indeed a good golfer by all accounts. Is he a mate of yours?

A marvellous day at the Jebel Ali Open - part of Desert Classic week.
Walked the course with him, Lee Westwood & Martin Kaymer.
Chat shit all day as not many fans there more a sponsors day
.Slash was in town with his band the following night playing a full set of GnR tracks (wasnt going), Alice asked us to promise not to put anything on social media then told us there would be a special guest.
Obviously got tickets straight away, Slash was brilliant and then the Encore was Alice & his greatest hits with Slash going mega large.
Absolutely EPIC gig.
He then bought me a beer on the Sunday night after the golf talked about other courses, football (Saints) and NFL.
A proper bloke.
The autographed golf hat he gave me is framed & in storage here.

3 Likes

Working Men’s Club playing at Heartbreakers, Southampton next Wednesday if anyone fancies a school night gig.

Shit hot.

Saw A-ha on Tuesday night at the Royal Albert Hall. First half was the full Hunting High and Low album and second half was some old hits and new songs.
Morten still has quite some voice and looking remarkably good for 60.
I had Hunting High and Low on repeat as a 10 year old.

2 Likes

Rolling back the years next week to see Hawkwind, on their 50th anniversary tour in Manc. Hopefully homage is paid to their earlier and late 70’s stuff in no short measure. trying to find a way back from Liverpool to Leigh so that I can go and see Steve Hillage’s 1st tour in about 40 years. #faroutman
Wish I still had my Afghan and collection of Genesis, Yes, Floyd, Hawkwind, Led Zep and BJH badges :sunglasses::rainbow::peace_symbol::guitar::jeans::sparkler::beers:

2 Likes

Just had a horrid mental image of Eric in an Afghan…
Khanda har d to recover from tbh

1 Like

This could easily go in the comedy section.

Went to see Tim Minchin tonight at Hammersmith Apollo (such a beautiful venue).
He was superb. Very talented man.

1 Like

Saw Squeeze at Bournemouth Pavilion last night. Probably the worst sound system I’ve ever endured, (and I’m a veteran of Southampton Guildhall, :open_mouth::confounded:) great band but horribly let down by their PA. It must have been the PA itself because I saw them at the same venue in 2015 and it was terrific. I bought the on-the-night CD recording last night just for comparison, presumably that will have been recorded via the mixing desk.

Edit, the CD is poor as well. Mixing levels going up and down all over the place, they obviously couldn’t get the auditorium sound right. Sounds like it was bootlegged on a hidden Phillips with a microphone, if anyone else remembers those :smile::smile::smile:

Mrs G is going to be happy. Killers tickets bagged for St Marys. Winning christmas :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Part 1 completed. Hawkwind were pretty good, not great but glad I went. Heard great things about Steve Hillage gig in Soton, so am moist with anticipation at seeing him in Scouseland on Saturday. Love and Peace Man.

Bravo. I got some seated tickets for St Mary’s and unreserved standing/seated for Emirates.
Credit card took a hit.

1 Like

Are many of the original line up still with them? Nik Turner on sax? I used to see quite a lot of Nik, he lived nearby when i lived in West Wales. He had a small farm and had regular parties/ mini festivals during the summer months in one of his fields. He was a good lad, loved his puff, beer and mushrooms. At the time i had a small shop dealing in collectable vinyl amongst other things, he was a good customer. Pretty much lost touch now, but i did bump into him last year in Cardigan high street when i was visiting my kids and spent a nice hour or two in a boozer catching up. I was a big fan of Hawkwind back in the day, i remember standing in front of the stage at Margate Dreamland ballroom, gazing in slack jawed wonder at Stacia’s magnificent tits.God, she had a healthy set of lungs!

1 Like

Only Dave Brock is left out of the classic line ups from days gone by.

I think Nik Turner was recently touring with The Hawklords, who I overlooked in Manc recently as I assumed they were a Tribute Band, which in a way I guess they are!!

1 Like