...Ghosts

There is always the mini bar!

Angry? really Soggy? come on down vote as much as you like - If you have had paranormal experiences, l can guarrantee there is a rational explantion for them all - just find yourself a decent magician,tehy will tellyou how its all done as ā€˜psychicā€™ tricks are all the same as they useā€¦ and its never ā€˜for freeā€™ - there is always a pay off, they just play the long game. Its not a wild assumption that its all about ripping people off. Its always about ripping people offā€¦ and its so fucking easy because there are so many who want to believe in itā€¦

People in a pub tell you they have had paranormal experiencesā€¦and you believe they are unexplained praranormal experiences instead of experiences that they cant explain but have a rational explanation? Seriously, what is more likely? And you say I am jumping to conclusions. Its a classic case of people chosing to believe its unexplainable because because they want it to beā€¦ confirmation bias in actionā€¦

ā€¦'paranormal described in the bibleā€¦ no shit! :lou_lol:

I am ok with you saying there is no ghosts, gay, i prob agree, but i think i Ostrich bro on last page is right, that ur dismissal doesnā€™t seem v.scientific. What is the science behind Definitely No Ghosts?

1 Like

My last two visits to mediums have been at a spiritual church. I used to avoid these as I dont like the religious aspect but gave these a go to see what is was all about. The mediums affiliated to the church give their time free and if you wish, you can make a donation to the church. The people who go their regually dont seem to feel preyed on and take comfort in the readings. Personally I wouldnt say that was a bad thing. Oh and to try and help people get over the cold reading aspect, they always try and give you some information that only you and the person who is communicating with you will know. I have experienced this a few times and I defy Derren Brown or any other of the debunkers to give an explanation as to how these people come across this information with people they have never met before and have no idea of their backgrounds. I cant say that the meesage do come from beyond the grave or not, but I have had information from my Dad and others which was not only spot on, but also gave me a lot of comfort. I have never felt conned or preyed on. I suspect there are frauds out there but if you chose who you go to carefully (and apart from the church I have only been to people who come recommended) then the chances are that you will have a positive experience.

I reckon that Darrel geezerā€™s a ghost. Heā€™s got 200 Pap points and Iā€™ve never even seen him.

4 Likes

Downvote reciprocated, for various reasons.

I didnā€™t say I believed in ghosts, but you jumped to conclusions. Iā€™m a scientist, but one who chooses to apply science as a tool and not as dogma - your choice to do otherwise.

I donā€™t want to get into a debate on this really (hence why I held off contributing to this thread until now). I come across this sort of thing all the time and Iā€™m sick and tired of trying to convince people that science shouldnā€™t be a belief system.

I agree that a fraudulent spiritualist industry is a terrible thing and should be stopped, but the existence of fake mediums doesnā€™t disprove ghosts any more than the existence of corrupt politicians disproves the existence of selfless public service more generally.

I repeat, again, Iā€™m not saying that I believe in ghosts (my own beliefs are largely irrelevant).

1 Like

I try and avoid these conversations in a pub.

DNA + body lives, dies, returns to orgnaic matter. That is not sad, but a fucking brilliant thing - that we have evolved to be able to do so much when we are just a bunch of chemical reactionsā€¦ facinating. The fact that some find comfort in needing to believ in something after death is not strange, afterall it can for many be a scary thought and is also far too frequently something hideous when folks die well before their normal spanā€¦the need brings comfort , which I can understand. But that does not make it anymore scientifically factual.

I have seen and heard many thhings I cant explain - but that does not make me invent an explanation, nor does it make me believ in someone elses invented explanation. Just because i cant explain it, does not make it paranormal or unexplainable. Go back 100 years and peple died young of diabetes because they could not explain or manage how the body could not metabolise sugarā€¦ post discover of insulin in the 1920s, different story, explanationā€¦etcā€¦ go back furtherā€¦you get the pictureā€¦

I try to avoid all conversation in the pub. Pub is for drinking. You wanna chat, pop round and keep Mrs G happy.

1 Like

You are right, Its not a belief system, but I am merely suggesting that here is an explanation to ALL of these ā€˜activitiesā€™ that does not involve spirits and ghosts. Some are as yet to be explained but vast majority is just fakery. Houdini was trying to debunk this shit but when folks want to believe its hard to convince otherwiseā€¦

Sorry SOG, there is always an explanation as to how these folks know thingsā€¦ and the fact that you are merely asked for a donation is not the point - the fact they take it is the issue hereā€¦ it is sadly always about the money and which pays for said spiritualist churchā€¦

But yet you use the staff at the Mermaid in Rye as an example to ā€˜dismissā€™ my reasoningā€¦

My experience is this. When my step daughter had just hit puberty, for three of four nights we had a picture falling off a wall (the fixing was still in the wall and the wire was still intact on the back) a glass fell off a table in the middle of the night and smashed and several candle bayonet fitting light bulbs (facing up) fell out of the chandelier and smashed on the floor. After the first night I checked that all of the bulbs were properly fitted, as I did the second and third nights. As you know, to remove one of these bulbs you have to press them down and twist them. I talked to an electrician about the possibility of an electrical surge forcing the bulbs out and he said that couldnt happen. None of the fittings were damaged. As you may or may not know, there are plenty of stories of poltergeist type activties happening when children reach puberty. All of these things happened in the middle of the night. No one else was up when I got up to see what the noise was. I am not saying it was a ghost, it was probably some kind of telekinetic activity, but it clearly wasnt ā€œnormal.ā€

I have spoken to plenty of people (not in the pub and perfectly sober) who have talked about paranormal experiences which cant just be explained away. You can say they are all talking bollocks if you like and that all of these experiences are easly explained away, but unless you put every single one of these experiences through some kind of scientific process, how do you know that they arent kosher?

I am guessing that the first person who suggested that the world might not be flat was told he was talking bollocks. It doesnt hurt to have an open mind about things that we currently have little or no scientific knowledge about.

Originally posted by @areloa-grandee

Originally posted by @Bearsy

I am ok with you saying there is no ghosts, gay, i prob agree, but i think i Ostrich bro on last page is right, that ur dismissal doesnā€™t seem v.scientific. What is the science behind Definitely No Ghosts?

DNA + body lives, dies, returns to orgnaic matter.

Alright, science man. When a bro dies, if you added togther the sum of knowledge that all the people left behind hold in their minds, i.e. his appearance, his attitudes, opinions, his smell, his gait, the sound of his voice, the taste of his jizz, how far short of a ghost would you be, and is it scientifically impossible that weā€™d ever be able to extract all this infos, and manifest the dead bro in one of sadoldgits hotels? Or that Aliens have been doing it for years, just for Lols.

Originally posted by @Sadoldgit

My experience is this. When my step daughter had just hit pubertyā€¦

Everytime you tell this story you mention the puberty angle and it throws me off. Is it really relevant?

Yes it is relevant as it seems to happen quite a lot around pubescent teenagers apparently.

1 Like

The point is SOG that NONE of these ā€˜experiencesā€™ have ever been put through a scientific process, because in most cases you need magicians and not scoientists to design the controls - Ask any magician and they will tell you the easest people to fool areā€¦scientists, the hardest children, because they wont be fooled by suggestion.

You have to differentiate between what can not be explainedā€¦ and inventing an explanation to suit the desired outcome. Science accepts that there is a huge amount we simply dont yet know and that can not yet be explained, BUT science is also NOT about inventing an explationation to satisfy a particular POV.

Spiritualists and woo pedlers invented an explantion - one that many now believe in. Scientists suggesting its bollock is NOT about a closed mind to the unexplainable, its about exactly the opposite - keeping an OPEN one!! Its the woo peddlers that are closed because they say their explanation is correct, without any scientific test or proofā€¦ yet ironically (and sadly, folk that believe) seem to think its the scientist who are closedā€¦ :lou_facepalm_2:

As a scientistā€¦ who is open minded, I will admit that there is a chance that its all true and ghosts existsā€¦ but I would suggest the probability is so small compared to all the other possible rational explanations, as to be insignificant. Sadly the woo pedlers always sieze on this - Too frequently they suggest that what they push must be true as science cant disprove it - but magicians can and doā€¦ to little impact on this $bn industryā€¦

1 Like

Course itā€™s relevant Bearsy. Women are inherently evil from this ā€˜timeā€™ onwards and that can ONLY be explained by malevolent spirits.

1 Like

No not at all. They might be lying. They might be mistaken. As may the many people who have worked there over the hundreds of years that the place has stood. I cant prove that they are wrong. Can you?

Originally posted by @areloa-grandee

I will admit that there is a chance that its all true and ghosts exists.

hahaha course there isnā€™t you nutter. Ghosts! Hahahaha! Iā€™ve heard it all now.

5 Likes