...Ghosts

Mentioned this is the thread of Southampton photos.

Re Ghosts: There was a night in about 1991 when a bunch of us in a car drove past Western House and saw the shadow of someone leaning against a lamp on Old Bank Chambers. But no one was there. We all saw it and drove round to check and nothing there the second time around. I don’t believe in ghosts. So who knows what it was.

I remember coming home early one night and I saw a strange shadowy figure at the bedroom window.

My wife said she hadn’t seen anyone during her teatime nap, but the bedroom window was open and there was a mystery pile of clothes strewn across the back garden below the drainpipe.

We never did solve that one.

5 Likes

Thing is just because it is CURRENTLY beyond limits of comprehension, does not mean its actually weird or wont eventually be explained. No different from when our forebears acted like complete fannies and pissed themselves over a thunderstorm… its the same as with any religion, a consequence of an evolved intelligence and abilty to reason and question… we struggle when we cant find an answer so make one up or think its weird… Thankfully we have science that welcomes the unexplained and looks to debunk the made up stuff.

Ghosts - can someone who knows all about these things explain why the majority of ghost sightings seem to be of folks dressed in victorian or slightly early garb? where are the fucking hippy ghosts or stoneage ghosts or Roman soldier Ghosts? Strange that the majority of these stories seem to stem form the very time in which all the ‘spirits’ and their world were invented as tricks by two young girls in the US… and has evolved into a $bn industry…

Perosnally, I’m hoping for a ‘second coming’ of some sort, bit like Bearsy’s Diana

17 up votes! Got to be a site record?

Originally posted by @JBoy

17 up votes! Got to be a site record?

Got to admire Bearsy’s devotion to the character. Fucking funny, too.

Diana wasn’t impressed when he took her up the Alma tunnel.

Think that was because Maj Hewitt had already taken her for that particulay ride

Yeah but Gay, supposing the limits of human comprehension turn out to be finite and the amount of weird stuff infinite. What then?

No, in my opinion, some things will always remain beyond the limits of human comprehension and rational explanation … quite a few of the posts on this forum, for starters.

4 Likes

It was indeed a very funny post, JBoy, but to have any hope of breaking upvote records Bear should, at the very least, have added an ITK account of how the ghost of Princess Di is set to fill our vacant no 10 shirt.

5 Likes

Originally posted by @Halo-Stickman

Yeah but Gay, supposing the limits of human comprehension turn out to be finite and the amount of weird stuff infinite. What then?

No, in my opinion, some things will always remain beyond the limits of human comprehension and rational explanation … all of Bazzer’s posts on this forum, for starters.

Corrected for you…

I did see a strange thing only last month - it was like a gathering of ghostly apparitions, all slightly unwordly and mystifying…

One looked like it used to be Harry Kane, the other looked like a floating transparent Raheem Sterling.

1 Like

For Gay’s benefit, ghost sightings arent just of Victorians. There a plenty from different time periods. In fact there was something posted on the internet recently of something that looked like a ghost leaving the crashed wreck of a car. There are supposed sightings of Anne Boleyn and other medieval ghosts. Alleged sightings go way back beyond the Victorians. There are mentions of ghosts sightings in the Bible. The ancient Greek writer Pausanius wrote about a haunting on the site of the battle of Marathon “at this place you can hear all night horses whinnying and men fighting,” In fact many ancient battle sites have reported hauntings.

1 Like

Originally posted by @Chertsey-Saint

Originally posted by @Dubai_Phil

Originally posted by @Chertsey-Saint

Do they exist?

Have you ever seen one?

Anyone got any good ghost stories?

Never seen one myself, but had friends that have sworn they have been present around ghostly behaviour.

Yes.

HTH.

And no, it doesn’t involve Golf.

Ooh, spill…

Oh alright then.

The Night was dark and stormy…

Actually it wan’t and it was Daytime, and it was long before SMS was a twinkle in Ruperts’ eye.

It was “That Time”, early in the morning and the (Very Ex) wife is just starting to go into Labour.

(Oh FFS Pap not YOUR bloody Labour I mean the PAINFUL REAL LIFE version)

Being fully prepared we loaded the car and headed to the Maternity Unit.

Everything actually happened really quickly and within about an hour our first was born.

Gawd knows what time but I guess mid - late morning (yeah I know we are all supposed to know all that stuff, c’mon at least I remember it was in August, or was it September? No think it was August)

Now comes the “cannot explain part”.

Healthy Baby pops out, I have not feinted and Midwife hands Baby to (Very Ex) who places Baby on her right side and Kaboom, there is (Very Ex) wife’s mother leaning across to see the Baby with a smile and that whole Grandma thing.

It was as clear as day and actually seemed far more clear, real and vivid than anything Jermaine Wright ever did in a Saints Shirt.

I started to raise my arm to point and open my mouth to say something in a sort of typical ghost story mega slow motion way and looked back to my wife to say - It’s your Mum and everyone was staring at me.

I can confirm I was not on any medication and had not been on the Summer Lightning for at least a week as I was on stand by.

The (Very Ex’s) Mother had passed away some 3 or 4 years earlier.

So there you go.

I have a mate who does the whole Brain thing - NLP & Hypnosis and we have talked it through over beers over the years, obviously the stress or intensity such moments can induce or maybe the Gas & Air mix had been leaking. We agree that a brain fart is as likely a reason as a Ghost (200 odd miles from where she had lived and passed away after all).

BUT here is the spooky thing - I really did not LIKE her Mother (not in traditional Mother -in - Law way just that I wasn’t deemed to be good enough for her I guess), so of ALL the people that my Brain could have counjuered up in that moment why the hell would it have been her?

No ectoplasm, no rotting flesh ripping the still beating heart from my Chest, just Mother in Law coming to see her first Grand Daughter.

After that? I made sure I was very pissed the night before any future deliveries.

Daughter is fantastic and has provided an amazing Grandson and yes I mentioned this, and yes I have forgotten many thousands of things of when the Kids were Young but that image is so engrained in my mind it could even today be a 3D hologram, even now 30 odd years on I could (if I had ANY artistic talent) draw/paint that room.

So yeah, I saw a Ghost.

Ghosts - a load of bollocks.

I would love to see a ghost. Whenever we stay in a hotel in this country I always try and book an old place that is supposed to be haunted. Although I have yet to see one, I have spoken to a number of people who have had paranormal experiences. The Mermaid in Rye is supposed to be haunted by several ghosts and some of the staff have interesting tales to tell. I suppose it is easy to dismiss sightings if you have never experienced anything like that yourself.

1 Like

Originally posted by @areloa-grandee

Ghosts - a load of bollocks.

Nice to see you applying rigorous use of the scientific method there. Not a little bit close-minded at all :lou_facepalm_2:

1 Like

Originally posted by @Sadoldgit

Whenever we stay in a hotel in this country I always try and book an old place that is supposed to be haunted.

hahaha that’s mental. I usually look for one with all-night Bar.

3 Likes

Jeez… seriously? If you want to believ in this stuff, please feel free. I choose not to because I happen to think its a load of rubbish… and that is as a scientist. It has nothing to do with being closed to anything, but everything to do with mnot be ing gullable. The whole ghost and spirit industry is worth billions and preys on the most most needy and …gullable. The whole woo thing is interelated, and itsthose that con people out of their cash love the fact that so many seem to want to ‘retain an open mind’ because its what fills their pockets’… there is more eveidence for the existance of Santa Claus than ghosts… :lou_facepalm_2:

PS. I down voted, because this makes me angry - these peddlers prey on teh recently bereaved, and vunerable folks and the sooner ghosts and spirits bollocks is debunked the better- sadly no matter hpow many times you show folks the tricks and expose these con artists, there are still plenty of vitims wbecause for some stupid reason they want to beleive…

I see we have some woo believers who take this stuff seriously - get some help…seriously - you are being conned.

…and at least have the balls to admit the downvotes - otherwise its rather cowardly, just like those woo peddlers who prey on the vunerable

If we are getting into the down voting thing then I am joining in. You might think it is all bollocks but you seem hung up on the whole money thing. How does that explain people who give their services for free? There are plenty of people who apparently have psychic abilities who do not use them. Are they frauds too? What makes me angry are people who dismiss something as bollocks when they have no direct experience of the whole field of the paranormal and just make wild assumptions that it is all about ripping people off.