:fm22: ⚽ Football Manager 2023

The pinnacle of achievement

My life is complete

:roll_eyes::wink:

The old trick, eh?

Saying you’re certainly not slapping a logo on a news item to swerve the fact that this definitely would be a patch in most other games.

Can you imagine Gran Turismo released like this? We’d be up to the 25th instalment and each version would feature the new Vauxhall Astra

1 Like

Keep on topic! :upside_down_face:

Soz - not for me. Not tempting me back.

Wrong demographic ? :man_shrugging:t3:

Me neither, not that I have ever been tempted in the first place.

Why not give the free demo a try before dismissing it?

Not sure if you’re as old as us.

Time is a more precious commodity when you have less of it in front of you.

Leisure time is something that I am particularly parricular about.

It’s inherently a waste of time, so for me, it at least has to be something I’ve not experienced before.

Fundamentally, FM is still the same game as it was when it was Championship Manager.

Have you ever taken Woking from the Conference to the Champions League in 6 seasons? Stuff like that doesn’t go unnoticed pap

1 Like

Not specifically, but I’ve performed similar feats in the game, and do you know what I’ve found out after all these years?

You can’t rock up to Woking asking to be their football manager because a cohort of nerds in Islington have written algorithms that’ll call you a wonder maker every 26 hours.

Not Islington anymore. Based next to the London Stadium…

E20. Moving down in the world! At least it’s still on the north side of the Thames.

And yes, I think we did all basically complete the experience in the late 90s and early 2000s.

I ducked out at FM 2016, so maybe it has changed, but essentially you get the same outcomes when you do well and no-one actually plays the game the way the developers intend.

I don’t think there is a single game that gets quit and reloaded more than FM. And do you know why? There is basically no skill involved. A Google search (or a trawl of the editor) will get you all the best prospects and when the on-pitch dice-rolls fail, people just reload.

The audience is ultimately not interested in gaming. They’re interested in approbation. I almost think it’d be worth creating a game called “Football Winner”, where you can take Woking to the Galactic Superleague with no effort whatsover, receiving pre-programmed platitudes on your success.

And I reckon such a game would give you just as much chance at the real life Woking job :wink:

Hello @Matthew-Le-God,

Any comment to make on the hostility this last game has received from the FM community?

2 meh comments and 1 hostile poster

Are you trolling @pap ?

:wink::joy:

We do give @Fowllyd plenty to work with, most of us are asylum seekers.

I am not talking about the people on Sotonians, dear @Cobham-Saint.

I’m talking about people who make their money as Football Manager YouTubers (yes, there is such a thing!).

It’s a very interesting watch, not least because the four have been very positive about things until recently and have had a good relationship with SI, the game’s makers.

Essentially, FM23 has turned out to be an even smaller patch than the usual paid releases. The jury is out on the one big change - the match engine, but the chaps themselves say that it takes hundreds of hours to work out if it’s any good or not.

Set pieces haven’t been fixed for years. There is still no translation for the simple English language command “put the fucking tall lads in these spots” into Football Manager. It is the biggest perennial gripe of the FM community and it has been left largely untouched for eight years.

International management has never really worked, and still doesn’t now. At best, it was something you did in your spare time as a club manager. At worst, you’d take the job exclusively and spend months pressing the continue button.

I have to hand it to Miles Jacobson. He had contrived a way to get people to pay for a patch every single year since Championship Manager became Football Manager. Even Call of Duty, another series that puts out a game a year, has multiple dev teams handling the effort, so every yearly release has two years of effort.

Most of the “content” is written elsewhere. Promotions, relegations and transfers. The rest is gathered up, for free, by the various stattos like MLG around the world for the honour of being officially associated with this gigantic grift.

They made enough money in the good years to have been able to create the ultimate management experience. Instead, it has been money for old rope and even the long-term fans (and people who rely on good access) have been brave enough to notice.

1 Like

Yes, but only because the Tories closed most of the mental houses down.

2 Likes