Football League proposals

Interesting article here. The League is proposing to have four divisions, with the total number of teams increased by eight to bring it up to eighty. So that would mean the League would consist of four divisions of twenty teams each. The proposal willl be discussed by the existing 72 members of the League at their summer meeting next month.

Have to say it sounds very sensible on the face of it. Twenty-team divisions would give rise to considerably less fixture congestion than exists at present, and there would be more games played on Saturdays. Getting the required reduction, especially from the Championship, is likely to be the greatest bone of contention I’d think.

2 Likes

I like it. Makes the leagues more competitive and would shake things up a bit. British football needs a bit of a kick up the arse and this would be perfect imo

Er, I mean fucking Labour fascist extreme left scum!

3 Likes

I do like midweek games though. Am I the only one who loves a fixture pile up? Mid week without games seems a little crap!

1 Like

Doees that meanthat Pompey could then be in the fith tier of English football or the fourth division of the football league?

If so I vote yes :lou_lol:

So, currently 3 divisions of 24 = 72, so 8 promoted from the Conference to make 80, which means if Pompey finish in the bottom 12 in the 2017-18 season then they will be in Divvy 5!!

Can’t see how having less games in a season will actually mean more money for the clubs, that’s like 3 less home game receipts!!

Without fixture congestion the squads could be smaller, wagebills reduced and some league clubs could even go part time if they were brave enough.

The Football League highlights shows demonstrate games being played in front of empty stands, something has to change.

So this could be a cost cutting exercise at the lower end of the leagues - which is probably needed as so many clubs are living on the edge.

And it could be pompey’s best chance of getting out of the bottom tier.

Still think four divisions of18 teams would be more competitive, but this is almost as good. Hope they adopt it.

a lot of talk on the radio about smaller clubs losing money due to reduced gate receipts

a lot of talk on the radio of smaller clubs losing money due to reduced gate receipts. In fact, I’ve yet to hear anything positive on the radio about the proposed changes.

It’s the 3 stages of acceptance init…

Can’t see them getting this over the line,

Looks to me like they are trying to shoehorn in the idea from a couple of years ago, to have reserve teams in the league! I believe this was an idea to try and improve English football and give young reserve English players experience in the league. Now again, this would just have an impact on lower league teams as they would not have loanees joining their club, but the “bigger” teams would just have a greater pool of “happy” players.

The football league, just do not think of the lower leagues and the tight strangle hold they are under with finance. Now filter through the sky money, down to grass roots, then factor in these changes

Fucking loons… they will kill off our traditional steeped in history leauge set up! Makes me so angry!

ONLY way this is going to happen is IF two of the expanded clubs they let in are Rangers & Celtic - only way they will get incremental money into the FL (And THAT ain’t gonna happen)

Otherwise it is like asking Turkeys to vote for Christmas

Reduse the amount of cash paid to the clubs from the FL AND reduce the number of revenue earning home games they have.

Epic Fail.

More likely to get an EPL Game played in Abu Dhabi or New York…

Mind you

Sports Report Sturday evening

English Football Pyramid Divsion Five

Portsmouth 0 Bemerton Heath Harlequins 4

Yeah ok then