:kneejerk: First thing lets get Cahill in

I note that George Weah’s son may be available for loan in January.
Just saying.

No, seriously :roll_eyes:

Son of Liberia president and former AC Milan and Paris St-Germain striker George Weah, Timothy broke into the PSG first team last season and has continued his development this term.

But a loan move away in January is a strong possibility, with Celtic reportedly the USA international’s preferred choice. Ligue 1 strugglers Amiens have also made contact.

PSG to Celtic…really?!

Some sort of weird reverse career progression

Mind you, I’ve no idea if he’s actually any good.

But with that pedigree he’d walk into our team :sunglasses:

I would obviously guess loan for game time. Our Nippers go to Blackburn & Burton, PSGs go to Celtic

2 Likes

:kneejerk: not because our defence has just turned shit, but :kneejerk: because we got a manager only a few short weeks ago.

It’s a bit soon to give up on his ability to improve things. Surely you see that?

Personally, I reckon Hutch’ll improve our defence - obvs not as quickly as just getting Phil Jones in and pairing him with, you know, what’s his name - the good one.

For me, a team defends and a team attacks - individuals are involved and errors creep in, but the more the team keeps its discipline, the fewer errors you tend to see.

Coaching a team into a formation that defends and attacks as one stops centre-backs coming under pressure out of nowhere and improves the rating that fans give those centre-backs. The players can stay the same but the apparent improvement can be immense.

The signings that most improved our central defence in my recent memory were Victor Wanyama and Mauricio Pochettino. You may remember them. One is a CM and one a Manager. So neither signing was a CB but they definitely improved our defence.

Cahill is a good shout, mind. Wages (I’ll queue them up, you hit them out of the park) might be a problem, as might our status in a relegation fight.

3 Likes

He can inspire but he can’t make poor players talented.

Cahill would come if we paid him enough and could easily write into his contract he’d go if we we’re relegated, costs would be £110,000 upwards, small price to pay for keeping us in the League, especially when Forster is on £80,000 for being poor and not playing.

Will our club pay the £110K/week, do you think?

Well if they don’t that says all the fans need to know about wanting to stay in the League.

Again.

Will our club pay the £110K/week, do you think?

I’d like to think so but wouldn’t be surprised if they balked as its the Southampton way.

Arsenal fans think they should buy Cahill. Which club do you think he will choose?

Well it won’t be us will it, not unless we offer a shit load, Hoedt it is then…

And the Championship…

Fucking hell we can’t even buy past it journey men with no sell on value.

I expect we’ll baulk too.

Move on then. Let’s hear no more about it.

BTW. This is the current best defensive record for the Prem.

1. Fulham 47
2. Burnley 41
3. Cardiff City 41
4. Southampton 38
5. AFC Bournemouth 37
6. Huddersfield Town 35
7. Manchester United 32
8. Arsenal 31
9. Everton 31
10. West Ham United 30
11. Watford 28
12. Brighton and Hove Albion 27
13. Newcastle United 27
14. Crystal Palace 26
15. Leicester City 23
16. Wolverhampton Wanderers 23
17. Tottenham Hotspur 21
18. Chelsea 16
19. Manchester City 16
20. Liverpool 8

So to get into the top 10 defensive record, we’d have to be better than Wolves, Palace, Newcastle, Brighton and Watford.

I don’t see immense defensive talent there, and I don’t see massive signings, I just see coaching and teams that play with cohesion.

They’ve removed individual errors by not letting individuals come under pressure.

2 Likes

I also see Utd really far down that list. And they’ve spent millions.

PS They also have Phil Jones in reserve.

1 Like

Here you go, some teams with top 10 defensive records from the teams that finished this last set of fixtures.

Personally, I think we’ve got at least as good potential in our squad.

Watford

• 26 Foster
  • 2 Janmaat
  • 6 Mariappa
  • 15 Cathcart
  • 11 Masina
  • 20 Quina
  • 29 Capoue
  • 19 Hughes
  • 37 Pereyra
  • 7 Deulofeu
  • 10 Success

Newcastle

• 12 Dubravka
  • 22 Yedlin
  • 18 Fernandez
  • 6 Lascelles
  • 3 Dummett
  • 11 Ritchie
  • 17 Pérez
  • 14 Hayden
  • 10 Diamé
  • 30 Atsu
  • 9 Rondón

Wolves

• 11 Rui Patrício
  • 5 Bennett
  • 16 Coady
  • 15 Boly
  • 2 Doherty
  • 32 Dendoncker
  • 8 Neves
  • 19 Castro Otto
  • 37 Traoré
  • 7 Cavaleiro
  • 9 Jiménez

Brighton

• 27 Button
  • 22 Montoya
  • 4 Duffy
  • 5 Dunk
  • 30 Bernardo
  • 20 March
  • 13 Groß
  • 6 Stephens
  • 24 Pröpper
  • 9 Locadia
  • 10 Andone

Crystal Palace

• 31 Guaita
  • 29 Wan-Bissaka
  • 5 Tomkins
  • 12 Sakho
  • 3 van Aanholt
  • 10 Townsend
  • 18 McArthur
  • 4 Milivojevic
  • 8 Kouyaté
  • 15 Schlupp
  • 11 Zaha

All of those teams are way better than us unless we beat them and then they are shit. Or not trying. Or foreign.

3 Likes

Can you expand on your foreign remark?

Being serious for a moment, I do believe Hutch will have a CB in mind that knows or fits his system.
I’m sure Hutch’s man will become a star ski.

1 Like

Ooh Phil, you’re such a tease! :lou_wink_2: