Fans' Forum

A quick(ish) summary. I found it very good: no silly questions and fairly open, honest answers.

Ralph agreed that teams are learning how we play and both copying it and trying to counter it. This means we have to do it better. Can’t stand still: must keep improving. Things have to evolve. Ralph tries things that don’t always work, but they need trying.

We are playing “cool” football that he hopes fans in the stadium will get behind. Sometimes he’s scared it’s too “cool” - risky, but no risk, no reward. Our style looks intense and energetic but we work in short bursts at the right time and try to make the opposition work harder. Players are working fantastically hard and deserve support. There is great team spirit and togetherness. When Ralph first came, after training players talked about cars (for example). Now they’re discussing tactics. All on board.

He suggested we’ve got more savvy. Described players as lovely people, but horrible on the pitch to play against.

On ownership, Semmens said the current owners are very committed and supportive (especially when we’re doing well) but don’t interfere. There could be future investment if the opportunity arises in addition to current owners, but 99% of press reports are false. The model must be flexible.

We have lost £20m through Covid. Don’t expect big name signings. We still need the right players to fit Ralph’s system and players who can improve - look at Vest, KWP, Bednarek, JWP, Ings and others coming through. The whole team has a changed, hungry mentality. No room for journeymen. After the big six we attract players because of our infrastructure and potential. We are well-run. Having 2000 fans back doesn’t make financial sense so it’s really hoped they’ll get behind the team.

Semmens feels we are back on track after the club plan had gone wrong.

Asked about timing of subs, Ralph said timings may be late as the worst thing is to have an injury or player tiring when there are no subs left. Danny didn’t start Monday as he knows he was only good for 60 mins, so one sub would have had to be used to replace him. Keeping him on the bench gave the opportunity of using him or not. BTW, JWP is first designated penalty taker but gave Monday’s to Danny as, having messed up once giving away a pen, JWP didn’t want to risk doubling up by missing.

On contracts, what Crook wrote isn’t true. Negotiations are ongoing and the overall cost of all the contracts is a factor, rather than just settling each one separately. If we sell players, or bring through Academy players, there’s more flexibility with the top earners. The club want Danny to stay, think he does too and are hopeful it will work out, but all discussions are personal. Interesting that nothing said about Bertrand. The club’s stance is that any player who doesn’t want to be at Saints can leave. Players must want to be here and to buy totally into Ralph’s plans. That’s why Theo came back, despite not fitting our model and him having better offers. Apparently he really wanted to come back, is utterly committed and loves it.

Sorry, that wasn’t brief!

11 Likes

Nice, thanks for that.

PS. Did you get my signed pic?

2 Likes

It’ll be in the post, but first transfer the £50 to the account details in my PM. :rofl::rofl:

4 Likes

£100 if he was naked when he signed it… of had a monkey lick his penis

1 Like

I’ll need to get back to him

2 Likes

Oh I am shocked…

4 Likes

Just be careful. Allegedly he attacked the last fan who asked him with a crowbar And stuck his willy in his face

2 Likes

:lou_facepalm_2: Fuck…no Ice Rink.

3 Likes

They didn’t say no. Somehow the question didn’t make it to the short list. :rofl:

3 Likes

One thing I missed from the forum. Ralph was asked about Academy players coming through. Said the better we get, the harder it is to make the step up. But all teams play to his playbook, which will help. He mentioned Smallbone as the best prospect (not directly). Interesting point: we don’t want to send Academy players out on loan because other teams don’t play like us. By implication, players who do go on loan are probably not wanted. And another thing, Ralph believes Vest is going to be a star. He also likes Bednarek, so I think Salisu has a long wait.

3 Likes

Here’s the recording of the forum:

A lovely quote about Alex Crook’s ‘journalism’!

Do I really have to listen to it now…

1 Like

No. :+1::grin:

Could someone summarise or did @Shroppie cover it?

@Shroppie at what time did you ask your question?

Stalker :wink:

I was first up. Tried to get back in again later to ask about Danny’s contract, but it was covered anyway right at the end.

1 Like
2 Likes