:evertonfc: Everton v Saints :saints: (League Cup)

So, Hughes to tinker with formation again to get to the 3 at the back he probably wants to play?

Not sure Hoedt is mobile enough to play in a 3 if the wingbacks push on. Not sure Hoedt is mobile enough…

Good job Everton haven’t just hit form against one of the form teams.

Presumably we’ll also be giving deeper squad players a run out?

I’ve no idea what to expect or predict.

1 Like

Aye, it’s a tough one to predict. Hughes sounds like he wants change the formation and change some of the players, but he needs to be more canny in his team selection than just changing personnel. As the last two managers have shown, they cannot play MG up front on his own and isolated, from a deep sitting midfield.

I’d like us to find a Captain, not just in name, but someone who provides some leadership on and off the pitch. No-one from the current bunch seems to fit the bill though, so unless potless Gao splashes some money he doesn’t have in January, it will, sadly, be a very long season.

Should have bid for Drinkwater or Wilshere.

Drinkwater maybe, Wilshere not a chance (mainly because he thinks he’s worth more than we’ll pay)

But instead of assured Premiership buys we do the Southampton way of speculative buys from Europe ala Moneyball, is blindingly obvious to continue in this manner will fuck up, they’re all soft in the head and just want the TV money and to coast on the cheap the fuckers.

I’m not disagreeing with you but I would caveat that by saying it worked for 5 years so, in theory, it can’t be all that bad…

1 Like

We got very very lucky, we haven’t replaced what we sold or anywhere near it, even with our recent signings and with age we’re arguably worse than last season, its all there for all to see, Hughes is a busted flush,when we concede they melt, there are no leaders and no scrappers, we’re fucking totally weak and we’re going down if we don’t rectify now, make no bones about it, our players as individuals are average and will do a job in the league but collectively its obvious they’re wank.
Home record?
15 points from 45 under Hughes.
His record is only slightly better than his infamous stint at QPR.

Its all there to see yet we don’t want to see it as its inconvenient, the board must love Southampton fans, West Ham go apeshit and things change, we get fireworks and clappers.

If I have to behave like a West Ham fan then I’d rather just sack off football all together.

1 Like

Good point, you’d also have to do it for about 40 years(and counting) :grin:

1 Like

I would have liked to see the club try to sign Troy Deeney, he has the right attitude. Scores his share of goals and puts defenders on the back foot. We will struggle this season with the current crop of players, difficult to be optimistic.

Yeah, to give credit to Hughes, he is playing a formation that he doesn’t really believe in.

At Stoke he wanted to play 3 CBs (expect a cheeky bid for Ryan Shawcross in January) when he could.

But having 3 at the back can either be 3 or 5 at the back if you instruct you wingbacks to drop and tuck in.

I really need Hughes to show that he believes that we can win first instead of not losing. The cup is surely his chance to find another more expansive way to play.

https://twitter.com/SouthamptonFC/status/1047180664968306689?s=20

I find it funny how we all had such high hopes for Armstrong after a good pre-season yet he can’t even get a shirt in a league cup match. Very odd. Is he somehow unfit?

Based on Saturday’s run out…he’s not very good :lou_facepalm_2::lou_wink:

That bad was it? I must confess I haven’t been following things of late. Not even seen the goals (against, as it happens) from our last two. The Brighton game left me feeling like it was last season all I’ve again.

All over again even.

Commentary also on 5live Sports Extra.

Early pressure from Saints- Dings should have just done better.

First few minutes aside, it doesn’t sound too encouraging so far.

Redmond hits the post