Education

Nicky Morgan thinks the arts are a waste of time

So she is pushing for more STEM subjects. Apparently big business is starved of properly skilled workers so they’re all up behind her idea (their idea?). Apparently 15 year olds aren’t sure what they want to do in life and making shocking decisions. It all feels like we are here to produce stuff for business and not have an enjoyable artistic job.

The campaign, which is backed by companies such as BAE System, Shell, Nestlé, Carillion and Ford, will also seek to push more girls into maths and science courses.

There you go, weapons manufacturers, oil companies and planet-wrecking corps like Nestlé are all behind the campaign.

1 Like

The article says there has been an 80% increase in people taking artistic or humanties courses partly, it says, because undecided students have been encouraged to do so as the best way keep their job options open. It also suggests that in the past, female students may have been discouraged from taking STEM courses, especially science. Assuming these points are correct, trying to redress some of this imbalance has to be correct.

2 Likes

I live in a city famous for producing decent artists, be it bands, actors, writers or directors. I’m not sure that University is definitely the way to go for all of these disciplines, but I am sure that our lives would be collectively poorer without them. If someone is decent at arts, they should get pushed all the way.

The idea of churning out corporate approved drones for the benefit of research corps doesn’t appeal.

As an aside, my eldest kid has gone the Humanities route and the youngest has recently announced she wants to train to be a medical doctor. Right choices for both, imo - and both made their own choices.

They don’t need any lessons from someone that made the shocking life choice to become a Young Conservative in 1989.

1 Like

What City is that then? The bands here are shite, 38 miles to the East is where the bands are and were.
The arts can fund themselves with their overpriced shite, surely these luvvies are all commies and hate the state? Mother fuckers, more state ownership and more skilled jobs, bollocks to a liberal elite ideal.

1 Like

If you want to keep your options open do valued degrees from valued learning institutions not some shit from an old poly, harsh but true.

2 Likes

This is definitely a good thing:

Mrs Morgan said that “too many young people are making choices age 15 which will hold them back for the rest of their lives”.
She insisted “significant” progress had been made in recent years, with maths now the most popular A-level subject but more had to be done to encourage pupils – particularly girls – to study STEM subjects to a high standard.
“We must make sure that teenage girls don’t feel, and certainly are not told, that certain subjects are the preserve of men," she said.

2 Likes