Edge Special: 100 Greatest Video Games

I saw that, but it’s someone’s edited version of Edge’s one, annoyingly.

Ah nice, had a lot of fun with Space Giraffe! :laughing:

Oh, sorry, I spent 2 seconds on Google.

And yeah, SG is easily the best thing Jeff’s ever done. Love it to pieces.

Why? I have to admit I was Sega over Nintendo, I never undrstood the Mario love in but Mario Kart multi player was an awful lot of fun.

Some suprising omissions!

Jumpers for Goalposts - This is a good game! You are a footballer & the aim is to get good publicity by going nightclubbing & having fights, and then you can score better bitches. At first cos you can only afford i.e. Volkswagon Golf you can only get quite ugly bitch with spectacles & frizzy hair, her name is i.e. Gertrude or something like that, but later on when you can afford i.e. Aston Martin, you can get a top drawer Wag called i.e. Chantelle or something like that! Problem is tho when you have Wag she is always moaning on at you to take her to Restaurant or to Cinema. That takes quite a lot of fun out of it, a lot like real life i spose. It is v.realistic in that respect.

**Hearts on Windows XP ** - I used to play this quite a lot! I actually completed it. What you have to do, is fix it so you have got all the Hearts and also the Queen of Spades, and then all the other bros get 26 penalty pts, and you get none. If you do this 4 times in a row then you are Champion and this is the best you can do! It’s v.difficult tho. It took me Ages.

Sparkchess - Not a lot of ppl know that when I was 8 yrs old I was World Junior Chess Champion, insofar as World consists of i.e. London & Home Counties, which it prob did for me at the time. I was Quite Famous chess champion when I was 8 yrs old. Then I found out about Football & Girls and I never played no more. Then recently I played chess on Sparkchess website to see if I was still any good at chess. I was still quite good. There is one bro called Cody who is utter dumbass, you may as well play ur cat as play vs Cody. Then there is another bird called Claire who you can beat usually but you have to concentrate cos she only makes v.occasional mistakes. Then the next bro is called Boris. He is difficult cos he doesn’t make mistakes so you have to be v.careful with Boris. I don’t like playing vs Boris. He sucks all the fun out of it.

1 Like

Love you in TxK man!

Couple of nice Saturday mornings spent on that.

Fable 2 is one of Ginge’s favourite games, btw.

1 Like

Originally posted by @KRG

This sounds like why I’ll always be a console gamer. Too much money/effort to be part of the “PC Master Race” *vomits*.

Pap retorts with Mac jibe.

Look, the only reason that we can both discuss this game is because its more than three years old, the standard amount of time it takes for complex older games to eventually be able to run on the overpriced hardware.

I’ve lived with you people. When Korruptor, Iniquitas and I shared a house, we snared an old iMac from a company clearout and plugged it into the network. The helpful little Mac bastard, in a feat unusual for the times, not only worked out how to connect to the Internet, but also enumerated every other machine in the house. Korruptor was in love. It’s a sad story.

It took years of independent trolling from PC diehards Iniquitas and myself before he finally ventured back to the dark side, and boy, did he come back with a bang. If you picture the War Rig from Fury Road, but in PC terms, you’re about halfway there.

He lives overseas now, which makes his Mac problem very hard to monitor. He’s probably got shrink-wrapped Macbooks in the cistern of his bog, or perhaps an emergency Mac Mini, disguised as a rock and secreted in the garden in case the shit really hits the fan.

Moving beyond mere trolling and invention, Apple don’t really give a fuck about maintaining any sort of parity with the contemporary gaming market. The specs are just too poor to compete most of the time, compounded by the fact that Mac owners know this, and usually have a console or two to compensate. There has been false dawn after false dawn about Apple finally getting serious with gaming, the speculation over the Apple TV being the most recent example to disappoint diehard would-be Apple gamers. It’s not very powerful, and is indicative of Apple’s desire to carve out its own kind of market. From a business perspective, there’s nowt wrong with that, but it’s never going to placate the hardcore, and as long as Apple keep selling modest hardware at scandalous prices, that’ll always be the case.

Shame really, because honestly, there is much to admire about Macs. You’ve got a lovely UI abstraction if you just want to point and click, a pipe-chaining motherfucking UN*X terminal if you want to get down and dirty, decent reliability and beautiful readability (the text anti-aliasing is superb). Lack of software prevents consideration as a serious meets-all-needs machine, unreasonable pricing prevents it from being considered as a niche secondary.

It really isn’t about affordability. I could meet the Apple premium if I want to, but I just don’t want to, because as much as I like some of the ideas that are embedded in their ecosystem, it validates what is essentially a polished turd business model.

1 Like

Goldeneye. Halo.

Originally posted by @Barry-Sanchez

Why? I have to admit I was Sega over Nintendo, I never undrstood the Mario love in but Mario Kart multi player was an awful lot of fun.

Without getting into a lengthy analysis, Sonic’s best feature was running fast and bouncing off stuff. Half of Sonic’s level design was built largely to stop you doing this. With the punishment for failure being that you’re left in control of a lump of Bluetac. That’s A) negative game design - why the fuck would you stop the player doing the best thing in the game, repeatedly? - and B) partly why there’s not been a good Sonic game in the last 20 years. They’re still finding ways to fuck up the only good mechanic in the series.

Mario’s full of new and interesting ways to evolve its mechanics and brings new ideas to the franchise with every iteration. They get the plaudits for a reason.

@Pap: I’m actually off OS X. Yosemite was ballz, so it’s mainly the War Rig (for Dev) and Linux for everything else these days. I’m even on Android (more because I’m skint than anything else).

2 Likes

Originally posted by @Bucks

Goldeneye.

Spent loads of time on this in multiplayer in the final year of university, but it was one single player level, Bunker, on Secret Agent mode, that I’ll always remember. Goldeneye had some weird shit going on. After multiple repeated attempts at taking guards down with throwing knives, and getting owned,I made an accidental discovery.

Unloading an AK47 on a soldier was a guarantee of inviting the entire Soviet force on you. A single shot to the head? None of their mates ever heard it, silencer or not. Eventually, I got practiced enough to headshot every enemy with that single shot that the enemies never seemed to hear.

Eventually, you find a safe, which contains a couple of properly silenced PPKs. No enemy hears these, no matter how many shots you fire.

From a design point of view, even with the glitch, it was a fantastic - a meaningful combination of restraint and rampage, forcing you to crawl before enabling you to fly.

Still one of my all time faves.

2 Likes

I’ve never been a game player, so pretty much all of this means nothing at all to me. However, Emlyn Hughes Soccer was written by a friend of mine. He knew nothing about football, had no interest in football, and had never been to a game. Another friend helped with the niceties of the rules and suchlike.

This is all assuming that the game you’ve mentioned is the one that came out around 1989 or maybe 1990. It was certainly the top-selling game in the UK for quite some time.

2 Likes

Yeah, I love Sonic (mostly for nostalgic reasons - that and Ecco the dolphin were the first games I ever played/owned) but this is pretty spot on.

I still maintain Sonic is cooler than Mario, but the history will be much kinder to the Mario franchise. Which is absolutely correct. It does depress me when they make new sonic games. Just stop. You’ve been butchering him for years, just stop.

That said, I’d love to have a crack at working on one. Which may be the problem with the current ones, tbh.

1 Like

Goldeneye & Perfect Dark (which I think was made by the same guys? Rare?) were fantastic games. I’m not a massive fan of FPS games but these two were so important in moving forward the genre.

1 Like

Lol’d so hard at this.

i love you pap.

Originally posted by @KRG

I still maintain Sonic is cooler than Mario, but the history will be much kinder to the Mario franchise. Which is absolutely correct. It does depress me when they make new sonic games. Just stop. You’ve been butchering him for years, just stop.

That said, I’d love to have a crack at working on one. Which may be the problem with the current ones, tbh.

Sonic was cool. And wow, seeing Sonic 1-3 on the MD at the time? He was a good looking young scamp. But I’m at the point in my life where running around in a yellow catsuit is preferable to snorting poppers at the back of the chip shop.

What a game 3D World is. Honestly.

2 Likes

Its predecessor, Demon’s Souls, was actually broken. The devs explicitly said they hadn’t meant for it to be as unforgiving as it was and that the difficulty curve was fudged.

However it became a massive seller (for a cult game) - for the first 8 months of its existence only available in Japan so it did well on import. Took nearly 18 months to get a proper release over here and even then it did pretty well.

So yeah, blame the gaming community for Dark Souls’ direction…

1 Like

Kick Off 2 was the dogs danglies.

Sensible Soccer was good too.

Summer Games, Winter Games and World Games on Commodore 64 were the best sports games aside from Track & Field and Hyper Sports.

Wings on the Amiga was sublime (WWI bi-plane multi mission with a movie like narrative).

Other good Amiga fliying games were A10 Tankbuster and F29 Retaliator.

Speedball 2.

Metal Gear Solid and Gran Turismo II on Playstation were epic games that you couldn’t help think about hours after you’d stopped playing.

Brian Lara cricket (even with the Boycott commentary).

1 Like

Loved the PAL intro to the first Gran Turismo. Whoever put that tune, mix and video together was a fucking genius.

2 Likes