❓ 🖌 Designed or random?

Inspired by @Map-Of-Tasmania’s Conscious Rock thread, I’m posing another philosophical question.

Do we live in a universe that is:-

• The result of random chance
  • Designed
  • Initially designed, now random chance

0 voters

Nine voters accounted for. I will happily admit to being the minority.

I know it’s not something you can prove either way, and I am not bringing religion into this.

‘Designed’ is a contentious issue… after all, which ever universe theory you buy into, they all in most part follow some form of physical laws. As we have no idea as to the true size, shape, volume (expanding or otherwise) or numbers of universes (infinite or finite), its a bot of a mute question…

I’m not sure it is.

Designed has all kinds of implications. Random chance can be explained by random chance.

Chance is by its very nature ‘random’ bit of tautology there :wink:

I’ve said “designed”, but more accurately I would describe my opinion of it as “intended”. I consider it slightly more likely that something intended our universe to exist (whether or not that something had a clear design plan,) than the possibility of entirely random chance. Not much in it though, and obviously it’s something we’re so unlikely to ever confirm that it’s not much more than an interesting debating point.

Ffs. Everyone knows it was Slartibartfarsts job.
He told Arthur & Ford when they visited.

I say design. I also say Big Man up there. Who could equally be a Higgs-Bosun particle in a Universe where we inhabit undiscovered particles that make up their matter

1 Like

Surely, Slartibartfast’s job was designing planets, not the entire universe? :thinking: :smile: :smile: Iirc, he was especially proud of his fjords.

1 Like

I used to sell Higgs Bosun particles on EBay when they first made headlines in 2012. Made a bit of a killing at the time as I had a mate who worked at Cern and he’d sneak them out in his Thermos fask. Still have a few left if anyone’s interested.

higgs-bosun
Be in at the start of this new craze, Sub-atomic particle ownership. Price only £300 each.

3 Likes

Cool.
I actually own a piece of the Moon. I actually have a genuine Title Deed. Was a Birthday present aeons ago.
Think it may be worth something as an Elite Bunker. Must dig it out of storage

2 Likes

“I’m sorry,” said the barman. “We don’t serve neutrinos.”

A neutrino goes into a pub…

6 Likes

I bought an acre on Mars for my dad’s birthday many years ago, hope he leaves it to me in his will and not my bloody sister :crazy_face:

3 Likes