❌ 📜 ⁉ Danny Ings - No Deal

Ings officially turns down new 4 year deal per David Ornstein (so definitely correct rather than some Dan Sheldon speculation):

Southampton’s preparations for the upcoming Premier League season have suffered an untimely setback after striker Danny Ings turned down a lucrative new contract with the south coast side.

The 28-year-old England international has been in lengthy negotiations to extend his existing terms, which are due to expire in 2022, and there was optimism at St Mary’s that he would sign.

Southampton presented a fresh four-year deal that would have made Ings the best-paid player in their history — but the former Liverpool attacker is understood to have rejected it as he targets another chance to join a team competing towards the top of the table, either this summer or next.

There is no sense of the proposed money being unsatisfactory and previous reports claimed that there was difficulty finding an agreement on the size of a release clause, which indicates this comes down to Ings’s desire to test himself at a higher level rather than any financial motivation.

Unless he experiences a change of heart, Southampton will need to decide whether their main source of goals should be sold in the current transfer window or let go as a free agent in 12 months. There are not thought to be concerns about his professionalism in either scenario.

The bid remains on the table and barring an approach that is too good to refuse, Southampton are content to let Ings see out his contract

This will inevitably heighten the scrutiny around Ings when he assembles for the beginning of pre-season training today. However, club sources expect his performance levels and commitment to remain unaffected for as long as he is a member of Southampton boss Ralph Hasenhuttl’s squad.

The stance Ings has taken suggests he is still confident of earning an opportunity with one of the division’s leading contenders and will wait for that instead of taking the security offered by Saints.

As The Athletic reported in February, Ings was under consideration at Manchester City while he is also admired by Manchester United, and Tottenham Hotspur have tried to secure him in the past. Ings saw his Liverpool career hampered by injury but after being loaned to Southampton for the 2018-19 campaign, he scored eight times in 25 games to secure a £20 million permanent move.

Since then, the ex-Bournemouth and Burnley frontman has registered a further 38 goals in 75 appearances and returned to the England fold last year, finding the net in a friendly against Wales.

Although Hasenhuttl expressed belief in May that Ings would end speculation over his future by putting pen to paper, such hope now seems thin and it gives Southampton an unwanted headache as they attempt to plan ahead.

Blackburn’s Adam Armstrong is of interest and initial enquiries are believed to have occurred, but the 24-year-old was not identified as a replacement for Ings at this moment in time.

Apparently the club are happy to leave the offer on the table and unless there’s an offer that’s “too good to refuse” let him leave on a free next year if he won’t sign it

1 Like

And actually that’s fine.
We get him for a year, staying up is worth £60m or so his goals keep us up. Good deal.
Gives time for Che, Tella, Adam Armstrong to mature

1 Like

If players carry on behaving like this, perhaps there is no hope that the financial situation in football is ever going to improve.

Personally, I can’t for the life of me see any reason why a player wouldn’t sign a lucrative contract offered, as this won’t make any difference to the player at all - having expressed a desire to play for a “big club”, the news is out there, and agents are always touting their players around anyway.

What it might do, if they were to sign, and they were genuinely wanted by a “big club”, would be to guarantee their employer the chance of a good sale price in the event that they were poached away anyway.

A small price to pay for an employer who has stuck by you, perhaps taken a gamble, and given you what might have been a real break to get your career back on track. The other side of the coin is that this behaviour is a kick in the teeth to your employer and teammates.

So, if this is all true, I am really disappointed with Danny Ings, and am not inclined to wish him well, and would support the manager if he now decides not to play Ings very much as the club tries to find a striker who wants to be there.

I do agree with the concept of not giving wantaway players much exposure, as the team/squad needs to get used to them not being there.

Same applies to Vesterguard.

4 Likes
2 Likes

I’m Ok with players not wanting to sign an extension. I am also ok with them seeing out their contract.

What I do have an issue with is players signing lucrative extensions, then agitating for a move whilst enjoying enhanced terms - they can do one.

2 Likes

I also dont mind them seeing out a contract then moving on, also getting a bigger wedge as no transfer fee means agenda can negotiate a bigger package… what I find a bit disingenuous is the claims of ‘wanting to test yourself at a higher level’ - well already playing in top class league against some of the best players in the world. If you want champs league, then stay and get us there, stay and help attract better payers and encourage others to stay and so let then manager BUILD a CL side…

3 Likes

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. This is no surprise at all because if he was going to stay he’d have signed 12 months ago and got himself a pay rise then.

If he doesn’t end up at Tottenham then I will eat my hat. Levy has his grubby little fingers all over this.

7 Likes

And we’ve all known that tbh

Another thought… whilst I can certainly see the logic in keeping him until he walks (and agree we couldn’t replace him particularly easily or cheaply), I cannot help but feel that the club is saying this just to tell the buying clubs (Tottenham :roll_eyes:) that it is no foregone conclusion that he has to be sold this summer, therefore won’t be allowed to leave for peanuts so they’ll have to fork up.

If it is Tottenham he goes to then he is a silly cunt. After the shit show of a managerial appointment fiasco, they aren’t on the up and will continue to win fuck all. The fact Levy sacked Jose “I fucking love winning the League Cup” Mourinho in the days before playing in a League Cup final just goes to show what football is actually about these days. It was probably cheaper to sack him before he (potentially) won a trophy.

3 Likes

Interesting number of tweets in last 24 hours with very slightly different interpretations
Saints wanted a release clause setting a value.
Always been the sticking point.
He might go IF a good offer comes in but also implications Saints have/may delete that clause & Danny will sign

Would it not be the other way round? Surely it’s Danny not Saints that wants a release clause so that if anyone wants him they know £40m would do it, for example

2 Likes
1 Like

I wonder if the Saints valuation for the buyout is too high - hence Danny’s reluctance

Sadly I cannot see any way back at this point. If this release clause was the issue then Saints would have given in months ago. Now that it is unofficially official, as in more than just a rumour, I see no scenario in which he signs. Barring another ACL injury in preseason :roll_eyes:.

I don’t think Mr Southgate has particularly helped us either.

1 Like

Don’t think he would go to either of those. He wants to win things.

That’s what Adam Blackmore suggested too but I’ve already nailed my colours to the mast and predict he will end up at Tottenham. I have thought that for about a year and haven’t heard anything to change my mind.

The narrative of ‘he wants to play in the Champions League’ has slowly changed to ‘he wants to play European football’ which makes me think Tottenham is still on. I don’t think he plays at Utd, Liverpool, City or Chelsea. The latter two will be spunking their loads on Haaland, Kane etc. So who else is potentially left? Leicester, Tottenham, Arsenal or Everton. West Ham and Villa apparently showing interest is laughable.

Plus, as Danny Murphy suggests it sounds like he has been tapped up. Which is Daniel Levy’s MO for getting players to run their deals down. Look no further than PEH last summer.

I hope I’m wrong because I like Danny and hate Tottenham. But it just feels like we’ve been here before on more than one occasion. (Wanyama, PEH and Alderweireld to a lesser extent. Plus, maybe Vestergaard as we speak.)

1 Like

The narrative has now changed to “test himself at a higher level”.

1 Like

…shortly to change again, to “fuck me, how much a week???”

1 Like