Cultural appropriation

You mean you never got caught!

:lou_wink_2:

Similar @ Noadswood. Do you know what, I can’t remember my headteacher’s name…

My physics teacher was Mr Thick, no, really.

An op-ed in our local press…

1 Like

What about Bangeldeshi’s running nearly all Indian restaurants? Is this acceptable, I am affronted.

Of course it is…one of my favourite curry houses in the '70s was The Star of Bangladesh in London Road…even drank Lager with it…even though there were crowds of Danish folk protesting outside.

One rule for one, was that aboriginal in Crocodile Dundee wearing the gold watch also at it?

Ah, right that was what I was thinking this morning…

So, IPA :-

India pale ale (IPA) is a beefed-up version of pale ale, made using more hops and with a higher alcohol content. Created in England, the name is a result of its popularity with British troops stationed in India in the 19th century, when the subcontinent was still a British colony.

So the Americans have “borrowed” it for their micro-breweries and we now have some god-awful American IPAs out there…

Is that Cultural Appropriation?

2 Likes

Kris Kross when they wore jeans back to front.

1 Like

Appropriated from the blind?

6 Likes
3 Likes

FFS

Best change it to an Olde English Tea Shoppe selling stale cucumber sandwiches with curled up corners and insipid English breakfast tea or is using tea cultural appropriation now?

It’s all starting to really annoy me now

Just ignore it.

1 Like
2 Likes

Think I have one in my attic - next to the skimpy ‘Oktoberfest’ outfit I get my wife to wear when she serves me beer whilst I smoke a reefer listening to that white bloke from UB40 doing Reggae - I think we need to bring music into this now as well…

I dont think we should be flippant, and we have to acknowledge cultural sensitivity, but there is a difference between ‘mocking’ or trivialising other cultural icons versus seeing something in other cultures that is appealing and adopting it whole or in part… it IS how culture evolves…ALL cultures have evolved and will continue to do so… its also a compliment and one of the great things about more global travel

1 Like

Ignore earlier advice @Cobham-Saint. This is the last straw!

1 Like

Ignore what?

I’ve just ignored what you originally told me to ignore. Now you are telling me to ignore what I ignored. I need a drink

:lou_facepalm_2:

This kind of thing does annoy me. Would it really have been that hard to get some East Asian women in for this? Geishas are obviously just high class hookers, so there’s another level of cultural insensitivity which I agree is not worth getting worked up about for a poxy restaurant. However, having white women in yellowface (or whatever considering geishas wear white makeup) is pretty fucking stupid when there are a considerable amount of Asian women in the UK.

1 Like

Surprisingly I agree with Barry. My missus is Chinese and she’s a great cook, the exception being she always over-cooks the rice. Don’t generalise SoS!!! :lou_wink:

1 Like

Sorry if that didn’t come across as intended.
I was hoping(badly) that the “Ask :blush:” gave it away, that i thought it would cause offence.
Maybe :lou_facepalm_2: would have been a better choice.

You never come across as intended, you’re sound in real life but a bell online, no dramas we’ll suffer you and your bollocks mate.

1 Like