© Cover us in glory

I have a picture I took of Gram’s memorial at Joshua Tree National Park in 2001…just a small tablet with “Gram - Safe at Home”

I’m sure this is a travesty to most, but this song has so many memories wrapped up in its mowtown-on-speed interpretation for me. Most of them hormonal, femaie or both.

Love it.

EDIT: Apologies for the unwanted English adjective in the name of the band.

I’m a big fan of the original but have heard some really good covers. Not liking this one so much though KRG.

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTnGI6Knw5Q

1 Like

Mr Tambourine Man by The Byrds took a great Dylan song to a whole new level. Hendrix did the same with All Along The Watchtower but that McGuinn twelve string defined the whole jangly guitar genre.

Impressive pair of lungs.

This is a bit of a cheat, because it’s the band covering themselves - but I prefer this to the original all day long.

Resurecting this with one of my Glasto highlights (yeah I know I’ve been banging on about it, no I’m not sorry). Cracking cover, fits the bill of putting an entirely different slant on the original.

Sorry for live version, I don’t think they’ve done a recording of it.

Edit: FFS linking to a certain time doesn’t work. Skip to 1:16:45

1 Like

Originally posted by @Sadoldgit

Originally posted by @Halo-Stickman

I would like to enjoy this gorgeous little number just before I die.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BR7EaHbPe54

… and the song’s quite nice as well.

Impressive pair of lungs.

The Fuckin Catalina Wine Mixer

I love a good Sabbath cover and there’s lots out there.

Bletch, this one passed me by first time round. Good shout.

The Beat’s bassist David Steele went to the same school as me, along with Level 42’s Mark King (that’s two name-dropper points for Halo!). After The Beat broke up Steele was one of the co-founders of Fine Young Cannibals. I quite like their cover of this Buzzocks’ classic - they give this cover a very different treatment to that of The Beat’s cover of the Smokey Robinson song.

Halo, your account’s been hacked by Philip from Dubai again.

Nowadays I’m somewhat embarrassed by the fact that I used to be a really big fan of Level 42.

If I listen to their stuff now it leaves me cold, but I’ve seen them live 2-3 times and have most of their early albums. Mark King is an absolute genius on the bass.

1 Like

This cover was used in the music for a holiday ad in 2011…

As there is no lyric, it drove me crazy trying to think where I knew it from.

And then it hit me. Pixies - Where is my Mind…

…and the full-length ad version…

Originally posted by @saintbletch

Nowadays I’m somewhat embarrassed by the fact that I used to be a really big fan of Level 42.

If I listen to their stuff now it leaves me cold, but I’ve seen them live 2-3 times and have most of their early albums. Mark King is an absolute genius on the bass.

Never mind, Bletch, you’re in good company - Level 42 are one of Alan Partridge’s favourite groups. Says it all really.

You’re right, though, Mark King is incredibly talented - it’s amazing to think that when I knocked about with him - when we were both about 18 - he didn’t even play the bass, but had been a very good drummer in a local group since the age of about 9.

One for El Bletcherino. Metallica played by Rodrigo y Gabriel, along with Metallica’s bassist, the only electric part of the performance. Very good though. Acoustic thrash metal :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not technically a cover because the original artist still features - but a great meeting of extremes of two very different genres.

1 Like

Cover of a Doors tune by one of the most underrated guitarists ever to not be as famous as he should be!

1 Like