:covid_19: šŸ˜· šŸ„ Corona Virus the thread for all your fears ā“

Yeah sorry wrong choice of words ā€œtimescalesā€ would have been a better term than ā€œprotocolsā€ā€¦thatā€™s what I meantā€¦not skipping stages of ratification.

1 Like

A sad announcement today from Jolyon Maugham of the Good Law Project, who has been preparing a legal case against the Government regarding the awarding of PPE contracts. Truly shocking, this is the true face of ā€œdemocraticā€ UK. This is a government saying quite clearly and unequivocally that itā€™s above the law.

2 Likes

The Government spending money that is effectively ā€œoursā€ to defend themselves against the indefensible :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

Like the US Senate working to pass anti-Reddit trading legislation because the wrong people have made some money

1 Like

Sorry, that one passed me by. What is / was it exactly (genuine question)

WHAT?
BBC News - GameStop: What is it and why is it trending?

The repercussions efforts to stop it are all over Twitter including proposed legislation. They bankrupted a Hedge Fund - $2.1 billion value in a day

1 Like

NO worries, but its important with these things to be a accurate as possible, to avoid the conspiracy theorists latching on to any ambiguity. In all cases nothing has been skipped re ratification. All the stage and protocols have been applied as normal.

What the Koch institute are looking is not whether the study was carried out correctly (which it was) but at the stats. Its quite a common criticism of clinical studies that whilst the overall number of participants was high and correct to get a good degree of statistical significance, when you look at isolated segments, it may be that in some the n number is below the number needed to establish a significant clinical benefit etcā€¦ that seems to be the case here.

Its does not mean its failed or is not good, Just statistically it does not match the thresholds due to lower than necessary patient numbersā€¦ which given they speed of the study was always quite likely

Its quite common, because recruiting for clinical studies is hard, especially in certain age groups or ethnic groups. This means when the data is analysed, some segments may not be included in the approval or there may be restrictions applied until further evidence is available.

So nothing has gone wrongā€¦ IN fact it shows the rigour of true scientific analysis of clinical studies that this has been picked up and shared, Sadly, the general public are then bombarded by inaccurate media and other conspiracyā€¦

1 Like

Ah, saw the word Game and assumed it was something to do with those computer game things a lot on here play in darkened rooms late at night / when the Mrs is out :wink::roll_eyes:

3 Likes

I have to say this does have itā€™s funny side, opens a window on how these people really see the world. I bet there are loads of them in government who genuinely couldnā€™t see this coming, scratching their heads and wondering what the fuss is all about. Even former Tory minister, Caroline Nokes expressing incredulity that it was actually signed off. Probably by Jacob Rees-Mogg! Iā€™m just surprised they didnā€™t go the whole hog and express their true feelings in the ad, and have all the women white, barefoot and pregnant.
2 Likes

:drooling_face::drooling_face::drooling_face::heart_eyes:

Er, what were we talking about?

With regards to the German saying that they will not give it to the over 65s and a chance that the EMA follows suits and then combine that with the demand to get hold of vaccines earmarked for the Uk, we have a situation where the Germans want to deprive the UK of vaccines to give to our elderly and vulnerable so that they can give it to younger citizens

Now if our doses for our under 50s were going towards their elderly you could kind of swallow that (I reserve the right to bitch like billyho) but the other way around? Fuck right off.

3 Likes

My folks are booked in for next weeks :+1:

3 Likes

Well the thing is they are no ā€˜our dosesā€™ they are AZs. UK and EU have orders with them and they as a private company will chose how to fulfil these ordersā€¦ in normal circumstances, i suspect they will go with biggest and higher paying (for the rest of their portfolio) customerā€¦ as stated before, could be a shitfestā€¦

The time to start worrying is when they only give the vaccine to those with blond hair and blues eyes.

3 Likes

Love this, this is brilliant, been laughing all day at this!

1 Like

You are batshit crazy, did you start the virus?

This will be about optics not contracts - the EU are already playing that game - they are running out of jabs because they backed the wrong horses or placed orders way too late and have created a row to deflect the inevitable shit storm coming their way when their members citizens realise there is no vaccine to be had

Even if there was unlimited supply of the stuff they still havenā€™t approved it - that cannot explain away why Madrid has had to stop their programme because they have run out - they are not alone

They have panicked. They have cast about looking for a solution and seen an opportunity. They are now trying to bully a company into breaking a contract to fulfill their own, which does not guarantee delivery but offers best efforts

Look I understand why they are doing it, but had the roles been reversed they would be sat smug in Brussels saying - tough shit thatā€™s Brexit for you

1 Like

On another positive note, my mate is up and about. Managed to take the kids for a short walk today. Still has no appetite and is struggling to sleep, but it is night and day compared to how he was last week

8 Likes

Hehe

That has screwed all those ā€œinfluencersā€

Direct flights stopped as well

2 Likes

Novavax 89% effective - also against the new strains on the verge of approval

60m doses to be made in Stockton on Tees

But I expect the EU have decided that the exploratory talks which concluded in December take precedence