😆 Comedy genius

Pancake day special.

1 Like

http://youtu.be/__G4RrlGmVk

2 Likes

I’ve recently been catching up with Frankie Boyle’s shows on Netflix. I’ve never really seen the full Boyle. I remember him making all the other comics on Mock the Week look like a total pile of arse, but due to the direction that his material has taken, haven’t seen a great deal of him on telly recently. I’ve been more likely to have read something by him than have seen a performance.

Caught two shows in total. The Last Days of Sodom, from back in 2012 - and Hurt Like You’ve Never Been Loved, released just last year. Both shows are excellent and very near to the knuckle, perhaps illustrating why Frankie doesn’t get on the telly very much.

The 2015 show is particularly angry, focusing a lot on the recent paedophile and banking scandals. He is sometimes difficult to watch, often breathtakingly rude to anyone stupid enough to heckle him (or even try to leave early), but I am very glad we have him. Just a shame that our public service broadcaster doesn’t feel it can handle his material. Fair play to Netflix for giving him a platform.

1 Like

There was a time that I really like Frankie Boyle and then he started doing material that wasn’t actually funny, he was clearly aiming at just being offensive.

That doesn’t make you a comedian, it makes you a fucking idiot.

I like it when he produces stuff that is ruthlessly funny and offensive in equal measure.

For me he lost direction.

1 Like

I’ve gone the other way, really. He had such a dominating presence on Mock The Week that his near ubiquity seemed like greedy scene stealing. Completely take your point about the balance between being offensive and funny. I’ll admit - I gasped as many times as I laughed. It’s a vindaloo comedy experience, and not for the faint hearted.

Thing is though, RallyBoy - just look at the fucking rest of the shite that constitutes our current comedic pantheon, especially the sort of bastards that turn up on TV. McIntyre, Whitehall, Russell Howard - all those fucks. I genuinely can’t stand them, their methods or their audiences. Every time someone tells me that they like Michael McIntyre, a piece of me dies, proportional to the amount of respect I previously had for them.

Funnily enough I watched this the other day.

I got the impression that throughout the show he was mounting a defence against the view that The RaleighBoy shares below “aiming at being offensive”.

I thought he did a pretty good job of “intellectualising” his style and I bought into the logic that he simply looks at things from a different perspective - advising anyone that doesn’t enjoy that to not watch.

This I saw his put down of the heckler which involved rape and rectal cancer, which was probably the most brutal thing I’ve ever heard, and then I wondered whether he sometimes goes too far in search of that different perspective.

I did laugh a lot though.

Originally posted by @saintbletch

I got the impression that throughout the show he was mounting a defence against the view that The RaleighBoy shares below “aiming at being offensive”.

Yeah, there was a lot of that. Loved the rhetoric about why it is only comedy that seems to get this sort of treatment.

I was raised on the alternative comedy of the 1980s, some of which was pretty tame, but was still massively more offensive (and intentionally so) than the stuff it had usurped, and loads less offensive on things we now consider taboo, such as racism in jokes.

I thought he did a pretty good job of “intellectualising” his style and I bought into the logic that he simply looks at things from a different perspective - advising anyone that doesn’t enjoy that to not watch.

This I saw his put down of the heckler which involved rape and rectal cancer, which was probably the most brutal thing I’ve ever heard, and then I wondered whether he sometimes goes too far in search of that different perspective.

That was the bit I found most difficult to watch, but no-one that has seen a Frankie Boyle show should have been surprised.

Me too, and it was nice of him to give a shout-out to Bill Hicks at the end, explaining the debt he owes the late comedian.

Originally posted by @saintbletch

Yeah, there was a lot of that. Loved the rhetoric about why it is only comedy that seems to get this sort of treatment.

I was raised on the alternative comedy of the 1980s, some of which was pretty tame, but was still massively more offensive (and intentionally so) than the stuff it had usurped, and loads less offensive on things we now consider taboo, such as racism in jokes.

That was the bit I found most difficult to watch, but no-one that has seen a Frankie Boyle show should have been surprised.

Me too, and it was nice of him to give a shout-out to Bill Hicks at the end, explaining the debt he owes the late comedian.

I wouldn’t insult anyone by even linking McIntyre to comedy.

Ditto Mrs Brown’s Boys.

As Bill Hicks would have said, ‘if you like them, go kill yourself. No really, I’m not joking, go and fucking kill yourself!’’

5 Likes

Listening to Richard Herrings Leicester theatre podcast and enjoying it, also bought the DVD of both seasons of fist of fun.

really rate them both. Just backed Richard Herrings As it occurs to me through Kickstarter. Groundbreaking stuff for a project really. Means there are absolutely no constraints. Not sure auntie Beeb would be happy with the word ‘thundercunt’ which gets quite a f outings

in other news, have tickets for bill baileys new tour and wanted to see him for years

3 Likes

I dont know what bothers me more, that Mrs Browns Boys is on tv at all or that the BBC give it space.

Liking Amy Schumer at the moment.

2 Likes

Amy Schumer … https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIW7xXCZDYs&nohtml5=False

3 Likes

I’d read about this, which is even worse than hiring writers. Think I posted the Carlos Mendoza vid a while back.

Went to school with a nipper that I briefly thought was the funniest dude in the universe. The problem was, I started reading and watching more things myself, and discovered that 90% of his best lines were pilfered, and never attributed back to the source.

Now p’raps he was just testing me out on cultural references and I’ve been harsh on the lad for all these years, thinking him a junior joke thief of the first order. Regardless, I resolved then to try never to take cred for the work of others, and if you’re not a writer-auteur stand-up, you can fuck off.

Having jokes written for you is shite enough. Ripping off someone else’s jokes and passing them off on your own in this context is a cunt’s trick.

Christ’s chin!

3 Likes

Yeah I hate that - Comedy is really hard to ‘copyright’ as intelligent minds will often make similar connections in a given situation but that is clearly ripped off - its possible it wasn’t her and she has writers who do it

reminded me of this

7 Likes

Talking about Comedy legends and amazing cominc creations, I have always been a massive fan of Marc Heap

His crowning glory was easily Dr Alan Statham in Green Wing

4 Likes

This is an excellent interview with Alexei Sayle, Stewart Lee doing the interviewing. Sayle’s one of my all time comic heroes, although he can get a bit up himself in certain interviews. I remember him doing a Richard Herring podcast and essentially saying that the alternative comedy scene was all down to him.

This is a humbler take, more a case of he was there, he was instrumental in setting it all up, but it would probably have happened later if it hadn’t happened then.

As it goes, Sayle can be as arrogant as he likes about it. He did set up the Comedy Store. He did change British comedy. A nice little window into that era.

3 Likes

A selection of geniuses at work.