Childhood TV Heroes

Funny you should mention that Slowlane … one of my earliest tv memories is being a big fan of The Virginian (‘cowboys’ for the youngsters on here)

The main character, who’s name escapes me (James Drury?? was the actor) was a no nonsense rancher type who was handy with a gun. He was on the right side of the law and essentially a goodie but he bucked the trend by always wearing ‘badass black’ … which I thought looked pretty damn cool and it made him mine and every kids hero of the time … then we got our very first colour telly and it turned out, it was a salmon pink shirt he’d been wearing all along ffs !!!

It was a pretty devastating discovery for an under ten year old kid … I was not impressed and he was always a bit of a ‘disappointment’ after that … It ruined my childhood !!

1 Like

uh oh Chongo, its Danger Island next …

1 Like

Anyone remember this? The Flashing Blade. I quite enjoyed it as a kid, even though I was always a bit hazy about why these guys were hurtling around fighting each other and hiding out in beseiged castles. It transpires, it was set the War of Mantuan succession - which has to be one of the most oibscure settings for a kids tv programme ever.

1 Like

Pussycat Willum, Ollie Beak and Fred Barker (who grew up to be Basil Brush). Happy days.

1 Like

Indeed, but I needed to unload on the Smashie and Nicey brigade.

There was a kids series at the end of the 50s called The Red Grass. No one knew where this grass came from but it was fatal to the touch. If I remember correctly its theme tune was Mars from the Planet Suite. I never hid behind the sofa for Dr Who but did as a 5 year old for this programme.

My first crush (Diana Rigg that is)

Mmmmm…Purdey. :cool:

1 Like

Used to be glued to this (ooer missues). Mainly for Wanda Ventham and Gabrielle Drake!

Wanda Ventham is Benedict Cumberbatch’s mum!

1 Like

The Blit Men appear from 2:38

Another favourite as a kid

1 Like