:chelseafc: Chelsea v Saints :saints: (PL)

Goodnight.

1 Like

Our commentators didn’t - Chelsea just played badly.

Another reminder of Pochettino’s reign - when we’d hassle and harry the other team so they couldn’t play and all you’d hear was “Oh, aren’t X playing badly today.”

I feel that this was the performance that will make the squad believe in Hutch. Arsenal started it, but we were open at times. Just need to get pace on the ball at the breakdown and we’ll be OK.

Yoshida, Armstrong and JWP in contention for MotM for me. Yoshi’s tackle on Kante was sublime.

Only slight negatives were Cedric and Valery. Cedric hardly did a thing right. Then again, playing on the left in his first game back for a while. Still.

Valery still looks nervous to me. Like he’s playing within himself - inhibited in some way. Understandable I suppose. Did well defensively.

I’d like to know what the logic of Gunn was. Rest McCarthy or was this Gunn’s chance. Took it well if it was.

Love that, instead of going defensive, Hutch brought Charlie on with 3 mins of normal time to go, and then to thumb his nose at Chelsea by bringing Stephens on with 30 seconds to go. At a corner. To defend the aerial threat. And we did. Love it.

5 Likes

Couldn’t agree with me more.

4 Likes

Swan Vesta almost made his usual quota of howlers Tbf

We got very lucky. Gunn played a blinder and kept us in it.

Very lucky with their disallowed goal.

They had a good call for a penalty(think we might have had one as well but missed it)

Don’t want to go full @Barry-Sanchez, we certainly had a defensive game plan and the team worked together much better, but we ain’t going to stay up if we just play to negate the opposition.

Am sure Ralphie-boy has a cunning plan though for the “lesser teams”

:lou_sunglasses:

1 Like

Saintsplayer? If yes it was shocking. When can i get just the stadium noise.

As above.

Yes to the first bit.
Pace? Can we buy Ezequiel Barco(won’t be popular). He’s lightning fast and would be perfect for the way we played tonight.

Armstrong for me. Livelier, faster and so much more hungry than his brief appearance under Hughes. Physically a different player.

Worked hard and at least one nice cross. Out of position, first game, so a pass(he’ll be sold).

He’s a cut above the rest in my opinion and i wouldn’t replace Cedric with someone that demands to play. Why hold up possibly the best young talent we have. He’ll play through the steep learning curve very quickly i believe.

I like Gunn, but he looks physically weak and that’s why they harassed him a bit. That said, he looks a bit like a young De Gea, so obviously brilliant. Sell all the rest. Not needed.

Play positive, play as a team, as some bloke said. No doubt he’ll be about to remind me :lou_wink_2:

1 Like

A bloody great point. Cheers :+1:

2 Likes

Big shout out to Polish TV who showed 50 Shades 2 tonight, allowing me to watch the game uninterupted.

2 Likes

The offside. He was in front. Not much, but isn’t the rule any part of the body, or has that changed?

I thought it would be given(only seen it once).

The team worked together is the important bit. It was a good display. Remember the line up(Cedric at LB). I thought it showed how strong our squad are. We’ll probably try to off load up to half a dozen players and bring in two(maybe just one).
Negating Chelsea at their ground is no mean feat and not something we’ll have to produce every week. It’s looking good.

1 Like

Clever by Ralph.
The 1st half Chelsea were sluggish, we held on. 2nd half until Fabregas came on they were very leggy.
Ralph looked at the fixtures and squad depth of our opposition and chose to give away the Citeh game for fresh legs v Chelsea it worked.
Makes many of the points on the Citeh thread look different

I think I said to @Goatboy and @Fowllyd in the pub before the match that he was resting the players ready for the Chelsa game. No doubt they’ll both develop a sudden bout of amnesia and deny me ever saying this.

2 Likes

Offside position

It is not an offence to be in an offside position.

A player is in an offside position if:

• any part of the head, body or feet is in the opponents’ half (excluding the halfway line) and
  • any part of the head, body or feet is nearer to the opponents’ goal line than both the ball and the second-last opponent
  • The hands and arms of all players, including the goalkeepers, are not considered.

A player is not in an offside position if level with the:

• second-last opponent or
  • last two opponents

I think his arm was offside but the rest of his body wasn’t, hard one to call to be fair.

1 Like

Sorry, who are you again?

3 Likes

Cheers for the clarification.

1 Like

I remember Luke Shaw being very reserved when he broke through, not willing to get forward - I guess it is the fear of getting forward, and then the opposition exploiting the space.

Give him time

2 Likes

Shit.
Maya out for 3 weeks.
Playing for Japan in Asian cup.

We need a Derby match thread @saintbletch

Was driven up by Chelsea ST holder friends. I listened to their non-stop whingeing all the way home, with barely suppressed laughter. Although, I did call Alonso a “cheating cunt”.

Yoshida a clear MOM. Still not sure about Valery.

2 Likes

…and I shouldn’t have upgraded my laptop from Ubuntu 16.04 to 18.04 !!!

@BTripz can you give the people what they want?

1 Like

Fuck sake’s Baz. You’re like a battery that absorbs and generates negative energy before exploding in a positive manner after a good result.

I don’t know how you work, mush :wink:

1 Like