:efl: Championship :stokecityfc: Stoke City v Southampton :saints:

booyah

1 Like

Superb free kick from Stuart Armstrong. James Ward Prowse? We shit him!

2 Likes

The game was a bit scrappy in that half but we are worth the lead on balance. Top quality strike from Stuart Armstrong.

1 Like

The ref has been our best player.

Belter from Stu!

Fair play to Manning, he redeemed himself by leaving the free kick for Armstrong.

20:48

BBC opinion:

HALF-TIME

Stoke 0-1 Southampton

Southampton head to the dressing room for some halftime oranges with the lead.

Stuart Armstrong’s stunning free kick just before the break is the difference.

Otherwise, there isn’t much between these two sides.

Have we kept a clean sheet yet?

into 11 mins injury time

Waaaaaay we done a clean sheet and a win!

5 Likes

Get in!

Made hard work of that with all those missed chances in the second half. Got a tad lucky with the Bednarek penalty decision but the other claim was bollox.

A clean sheet is welcome nonetheless.

COYS

5 Likes

Blimey that was a gritty performance. Not sure which of the players gave the ref a hand job before the game but he played our game, that’s for sure.
Nevertheless it was probably Baz’s best game in a good while. Sully and Charley probably should have been rested for Rotherham ? They looked leggy at times and slow to the second ball.
Stuey’s free kick was a top, top goal. Top bins off the underside of the bar :heart_eyes:
Hapoy days appear to be here again (for now)
Oh, and yes, it would appear we can do it on a cold Tuesday night in Stoke :fu:

4 Likes

Somewhat fortunate 3 points, but we had the chances to kill the game off. Sulemana, Charlie and Mara all had better chances than Stoke managed to create.

4 Likes

Not only watched it in my new favourite bar, but had Bellingham scoring worldie on one side and ManUre hilariously fucking it up on the other.

Perfect. Apart from the Skates getting a 98th min winner.

2 Likes

Well I did get some beer tokens back yesterday.

5 Likes

https://twitter.com/jamiepang/status/1709279039683244163?t=M6LiUb-IE6S84yISI5zvrw&s=19

1 Like

Excuse the long post but match report from the Southampton Australian Supporters :rofl:

SAS Match Report v Stoke

Apologies for missing the Leeds game. I was too busy drinking Fireball on top of an overturned park car #UpTheWoods :black_circle::white_circle::black_circle::white_circle:

• Fresh off our winning streak of 1 we were told by the gaffer to expect a lot of changes due to the quick turnaround.

• Team news: unchanged

• It’s time for us to dredge up decade old memes as we make our way to Stoke on a Tuesday night. The commentary team and our eyeballs inform us that it’s actually not that cold and it isn’t raining. However it is still windy and it is still Stoke. The ghost of Begovic past means I watched the first 30 seconds from behind the couch. No goals conceded and $2.35 found. Result.

• Honesty session time: had my head in a nappy (not mine) and cleaning up milk vomit (possibly mine) for most of the first half so you’ll have to head to the BBC or the Daily Echo for anything that happened in the 40 minutes…

• Thankfully things had cleared up by the time Stuey Armstrong was stood over a free-kick in the old Prowsey Goldilocks zone and…WOWW! BEAUTIFUL!! is what I shouted at the TV when they did a close up of Stuey’s hair.

• Top corner, some Cuco curve. Delightful. 1-0. Pick that out Begovic Jnr.

• Stuey has a chance to double the lead after half time, but it’s somehow blocked by the Stoke defender. Bastard.

• On the hour mark it appears that Bednarek has been inspired from what he’s seen at the MCG on the weekend and lays a tackle that was probably lucky not to be given as holding the ball. Lucky in the sense that neither VAR or Razor Ray Chamberlin were in action. Play continues, however old habits die hard and for the next 5 minutes I’m fully expecting the ref to stop play, wait 5 more minutes for someone 100 miles away to call him over to the monitor, before finally giving the penalty 3 weeks later. Anyone else miss VAR? Yeah, me neither.

• Stoke were famous, or infamous, back in their PL days for slide tackling anything that moved. Ben Wilmot decided to take that one step further today and slide tackle something that doesn’t move. Ouch. Post 1 Wilmot 0

• The Potters are building into the game now as Oh When The Stoke rings out around the empty seats. It makes a nice change from their normal tune of…BOOOOOOO. I’d probably be upset too if I had to live in Stoke.

• In the 76th minute the ref expertly gets in the way of Wouter Burger. Throwing himself like that in front of a burger will likely see him promoted to the Premier League. Certainly seemed to be a pre-requisite last time we were there.

• Stoke are now throwing everything at us and commit their 803rd and 804th fouls of the night as a melee of sorts sees us pick up our first yellow as late as the 85th minute. Disgraceful. Romeu would be rolling in his grave (he sleeps there for fun)

• Baz makes a good save as the +10 sign goes up, confusing the locals who’ve only learnt up to 9.

• A couple of closeish calls follow, but the newly promoted referee puts the whistle to his lips and confirms our first clean sheet of the season. Like a bachelor who’s living out of home for the first time, it really shouldn’t take that long between clean sheets, but it still feels nice when it happens.

• Good tough away win.
    EI EI EI O baby

9 Likes