BT infinity

Well we have just upgraded to Infinity 2 today and they have managed to change our speed from 17mb/s to 3mb/s.

Given that i was expecting in the region of 70mb/s, I am a tad put out.

Before I lose the rest of my evening and whats left of my sanity trying to get answers from the hopeless fuckwits that will invariably be at the other end of the helpdesk phone line, has anyone else done this, had this issue, etc

Can’t help soz. The last time I moved, I made sure the new place had Virgin fibre broadband.

Mine went in (oo Mrs slocombe) on Wednesady, BT Texted me to say it could take up to 2 weeks to ‘stablished’ whoever that means… Not check speed yet, but seems a tiny bit faster… Certainly no as big a difference the i thought… Then again, all hardware in house is a bit 1993 so not suprizing really :lou_surprised:

What is odd is I’m getting upload speed of 14 mb which is a massive improvement, but download speeds are up and down like a fiddlers elbow, but never above 12mb

You’ve always got contention to deal with. The speed they quote is a theoretical maximum, which will be met if others are not contending the network.

I share my line with a road full of octogenarians, I’ll be bloody stunned if there is some sort of oap gaming club I don’t know about, hogging all the band width!!!

But somewhat less suspicious if the trustful old duffers have infected machines, zombie’ing out traffic all day :slight_smile:

I would go with pap on this they will have more infected machines than Typhoid Mary. My old man basically shuts his down for a week every other month until one of his grandkids cleans it up and resets everything.

You could as a good deed offer to inspect and clean up all these Octogenarians PC’s Laptops Ipads and in doing so glean all the passwords required to use there bandwidth?

It’s bad enough that I am the de facto IT helpline to my father-in-law without collecting up any more

Hello hello - either the oap bandwidth hoggers have stopped for lunch or we are making progress - 30mb now

2 Likes

Let’s hope you maintain or improve upon those speeds when the milk stouts are done :lou_lol:

Ummm Milk stout,

What i would give for one of those out here in the philippines .

I’m with Virgin and have had fibre optic broadband for…hmmm seems like forever. If you have an option for Virgin…take it. Download speed is running at 120mb or was it 150mb…can’t remember really because anything over100mb is just lightening fast. They’ve offered up to 200mb for an extra 7 quid but I’m not an old codger who hogs bandwith so it’s not worth the extra to us.

BT’s not worth shit. I’d top myself if that was the only choice.

1 Like

Another vote for Virgin from me. Seriously quick, but more importantly, very reliable. Hardly ever goes down, I would estimate three times, for 10-30 mins, in the last year.

Originally posted by @lifeintheslowlane

I’m with Virgin and have had fibre optic broadband for…hmmm seems like forever. If you have an option for Virgin…take it. Download speed is running at 120mb or was it 150mb…can’t remember really because andything over100mb is just lightening fast. They’ve offered up to 200mb for an extra 7 quid but I’m not an old codger who hogs bandwith so it’s not worth the extra to us.

BT’s not worth shit. I’d top myself if that was the only choice.

Agree. I have the Virgin 200mb deal and it’s brilliant.

We are leaving Virgin back to BT. We have had weeks of disruption with Virgin. Never had issues with BT previously. But what is annoying is we are waiting 2 plus weeks for them to connect us. Really?