:brightonfc: Brighton v Saints :saints: (League Cup)

Bahaha I see what you did there.

2 Likes

Crossed with the left too.

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/11484555/brighton-0-1-southampton

3 Likes

Anyone else seeing that ?

1 Like

Thats more info than I got I just had a blank screen

Basically, it looks like @Fatso is running a phishing scam.

It works for me. Maybe youā€™re not doing it right?

works for me

Maybe I shouldnā€™t have moved abroad overnight.

@BTripz, is your like because youā€™re having problems too?

Itā€™s asking me for login details -fuck that for a game of tin soldiers

Whatever you do, donā€™t give @Fatso your login details.

Iā€™ve tried logging in but it is the same. Will try the PC next.

Worked fine for me, no login needed, thanks @Fatso.

Shame that they cut the highlights before the goal celebrations are even finished but hey ho.

Tried a different browser on the phone and it worked. (not Chrome).

Aye, it didnā€™t work on my phoneā€¦

So thoughts on last nightā€¦

Firstly, it was radio commentary so, well, all of my facts were handed to me by two other blokes with opinions and agendas.

Glad to see some players and combinations of players given a chance (Targett, Davis + Armstrong, Davis + Gabbiadini).

Sad that Armstrong, so (surely?) obviously at his most dangerous in the centre, was played out wide and that when changes were made he still stayed out wide.

Sounds like Targett didnā€™t do much with his chance, but Gallagher seemed to get rave reviews on the radio - but then Merrington was wetting himself to play 2 strikers from about the 60th minute. In his defence, it did seem to change the game when the two came on.

Gunn had a quiet game but did what was expected of him and a clean sheet on debut has got to be good for confidence. Stephens seemed to have a quiet game and the couple of times I heard his name were in criticism for not putting in a cross early enough. Heā€™s not a right back, or rather he is a right back if you donā€™t want box-to-box performances from him and youā€™re shitting yourself that the two CBs youā€™ve selected arenā€™t enough to defend set pieces so another tall bloke at the back canā€™t hurt.

Elyounoussi seemed to have an anonymous night and even though he wasnā€™t having a great game, Hughes left him on. Perhaps he feels he needs game time.

Yoshida, much derided in this parish and further afield paired up with Bednarek, much derided in this parish and further afield, to deliver only our second clean sheet of the season (3rd if you include pre-season). I think one of them could be dropped in alongside Vestergaard without embarrassing us - more than our other pairings have done at times. But I guess weā€™d have to admit that the black box made a mistake when it bought Hoedt as a ready-made van Dijk replacement. Still have faith that in a stable team heā€™s good, but heā€™s lacking a few attributes at the moment.

Gabbiadini seemed to see a lot of the ball in the danger area, again radio distorts the facts Iā€™m sure, but Iā€™ve watched the guy make run after tireless run for the last 2 years and get no service. Last night sounded different.

Redmond? Well, his resurgence continues. After a great performance against Leicester he came on with a fantastic little drop shoulder shimmy to get a yard and put a wonderful chip cross on to Austinā€™s head - with his left foot. I wonder if it could just have been low confidence all this time? Hmmm.

Hughes? Would have liked to have seem some promising youngsters on the bench (aside from Gallagher and McQueen), but I like that he did something a little more unpredictable than 4-4-2. Stephens at right back, Armstrong out wide - not sure thatā€™s good use of the talent in the squad. It sounded like he was ripping strips from the team from the touchline at times. He cares.

3 Likes

I think the Crapaboutecup is good for experimentation in a more ā€œcompetitiveā€ environment, I think Hughes was ā€œtryingā€ Armstrong out wide to see if he could play him there. I get the feeling he wants to persist with Romeu and Lemina in the centreā€¦

Just goes to show that some fans have no idea, I have, and will always, defended him and think he is better than people give him credit for.

Still learning I guess, they say that defenders develop later in their careers. I wouldnā€™t be surprised to see him come good in a couple of season time

60th Minute? More like the 6th!!

From what I heard he was guilty of dithering and giving the ball away and being out of position on more than one occasion.

5 Likes

My only slight niggle is that every game is a little unpredictable. I wish he could learn his best team and play a settled bunch for a while. He shouldnā€™t still be experimenting. Frustrating that Armstrong wasnā€™t moved more centralā€¦ commentators saying It, people here have said it, why cant Hughes see It?

I hope he now sticks with a back 4 because they donā€™t seem able to play with back 5 without getting all confused. Yoshi and vestergaard partnership sounds the best bet.

Not sure davis can offer us anything anymore although could be being harsh.

2 Likes

Yeah, Iā€™m not asking for him to be a DM alongside Romeu or Lemina.

Iā€™d like to see him as an AM behind Ings or Gabbiadini and that can only happen if you play one up front or a ā€˜frontā€™ three.

Playing a single striker last night was the perfect opportunity to see Armstrong in that position.

I bet Hughes thinks he knows more about management than me.

Arrogant prick.

4 Likes

See my comment above

See my comment above

Listening to the radio last night, when we switched to #2upfront, Davis was running the show. I suppose itā€™s horses for coursesā€¦

1 Like

Hmm, I always thought that Lemina was more of an AM than a DM so youā€™ve got a bit of a conflict there between him and Armstrong.

Maybe 5 1 3 1 would be a good formation with Romeu the 1 in front of the defence and the 3 being Lemina, Armstrong and JW-P (?) in a 2-1 formation??