:brexit: Brexit - The Ramifications

See, this is where the whole thing really, really pisses me off. Petty bureaucracy!!

Why the fuck can’t they just take the EU terms and rewrite them under the UK, surely it can’t be that difficult?

But going back to the first article you quoted Bryce Baschuk said

The UK is currently a WTO member in its own right"

Surely that means we can fall back to WTO rules easily?

However he then goes on to say

Of trading with the WTO countries, Bryce warns: “There are no sharks in Lake Geneva, but the WTO is full of them. They smell blood in the water and they’re going to demand their pound of flesh.”

Why can’t people just be nice to each other or are we paying for the sins of our colonial past?

Point of Order!! Should these WTO discussions be moved to their own thread outside of the Brexit and Try ones??

1 Like

So if you’re Argentina and you’ve had both a war and limited beef export quotas with the UK in recent years, and the UK has bent over to touch it’s toes, what would you do?

It’s naive in the extreme to think that every nation we want something better from isn’t going to want something better in return.

And in the background I wouldn’t be surprised to see the EU making it difficult for the UK if it thinks it will suffer from the UK’s improved terms.

1 Like

PS yes I think you should move the wto content to the Brexit thread. It doesn’t seem to belong here.

Someone sent me this. Surprisingly engaging and informative.
The guy who brokers trade deals seems to know quite a bit about the ‘rules’. The guy who transports stuff around Europe obviously knows some issues with getting stuff around. The other guy with the hat is the stooge.

Er no, @Map-Of-Tasmania . I’m saying that last year, we had a surplus balance of payments with the rest of the world, and a deficit with the EU.

The surplus is already happening with the rest of the world. It isn’t happening with the EU.

Perhaps if you’d clicked the link, you’d not have crafted such an incoherent and ill fitting response.

Saw this at the weekend.

I particularly enjoyed the part where the haulage multimillionaire was crying about closing his business.

Did you enjoy the preaching though, converted one? :smiley:

Don’t let the possibility of perhaps 100 ordinary employees losing their jobs spoil your amusement.:lou_eyes_to_sky:

Why would it? These are not indentured servants. We have a system whereby the labourer is free to choose which firm benefits from that labour. Plus, there is the trifling issue that he won’t really be closing his business.

Yeah, don’t worry @lifeintheslowlane, they’re all budding entrepreneurs who will set up their own businesses lickety split - as long as they don’t want to trade with the EU (or anyone else for that matter, it would seem, assuming the WTO situation is as dire as it seems) then hooray for them. I’m sure they’ll have no problems at all.

And if they don’t want to set up their own businesses, there’s all that fruit to be picked - don’t forget that.

Wow, we’re going to have a bloody lot of entrepreneurs on our hands, aren’t we?

5 Likes

You mean if the WTO is as dire as the shit Cassandra’s hope. The country can fail. It’s more important than that you’re right, init, Cass?

Not entirely sure what you’re going on about, but all I’m doing is listening to people that know what they’re talking about rather than dreaming about some utopian future that may or may not happen. Here’s an emoticon just for you. :crossed_fingers:

We were told rules in the EU are harmonious, so we voted out.
Yet this morning I parked the rental car, walked 80m to a shop & bought CBD tea & oil, took that Absinthe picture for the pickled thread and it was all legal. In the Czech Republic.
Yet back at the car I could in theory have been arrested.
But I’m sure Boris said…

Cassandra. A figure from antiquity famous for warning of great danger, justifiably, but doesn’t get listened to.

Shit Cassandra. A figure from modernity that says, without substantiation, that the fucking sky is going to fall in. Still doesn’t get listened to.

Also Rodders’ squeeze.

4 Likes

Yes, I know the mythological figure of Cassandra and the meaning. It was just the rest of your nonsense that didn’t make sense.

There seems to me to be a shitload of substantiation but you just don’t want to hear it because it doesn’t fit your narrative.

You can’t post without asking to be called a prick can you ? Why not specify which of the 6000 posts of Twaddle you were referring to instead of expecting folks within less time than you having to try and locate what piece of irrelevant ‘facts’ you are referring to…

You present this as if the surplus is the be and end all of the economy… but trying to get you to accept anything apart from your A level economic theories is impossible… I am sure you are smart enough to understand them, just to stubborn to attempt to…

1 Like

You’re dealing with projections, things that are yet to happen, and may not happen at all, @Bathsaint. That’s not truth.

I’m dealing with actuals, things that have happened, are happening.

So please don’t lecture me on the truth, especially about not wanting to hear it. If Discourse is doing its link counting job properly, it appears that no-one clicked on the bang to rights evidence from the ONS :smiley:

It must be true. The truth must hurt. Arf.

Where’s link in question @pap ?

It’s this one Cob.
@pap is assuming that everyone gets all their information here and couldn’t possibly have read it somewhere else(not sure how that works, when we all link from multiple sources).

Ultimately, what will happen will happen. There is little anyone on here can do to influence the process one way or another. And, frankly, Pap is so tiresome and tedious that there really is no point posting on here. He is happy in his little, utopian dream, sure in the knowledge that we’re heading for sunlit uplands of Brexit. He’s a bit like a religious zealot, really. And, just like religious people, there’s no reasoning with him. He is so sure, his faith so unshakeable, that nothing anyone says will make him look at things any differently.

Maybe everything will be a fantastic, marvellous economic miracle, with everyone being rich and healthy and happy and non-racist. Maybe… At the moment, I very much doubt it.

Anyway, I’ll leave him to chat to himself on this thread, convincing himself and I’ll wait to see what the outcome is. Really, there’s no debate to have anyway, is there. We’re heading that way, whether we like it or not.

At least Pap is winning the internet and I guess, to him, that’s really all that matters, I suspect.

1 Like