:brexit: Brexit - The Ramifications

Honestly, it’s a little from Column A and a little from Column B. I maintain that the EU would have given anyone a hard time. We might have been better served by a Prime Minister that wasn’t scared to death of no deal. And yes, it’s utterly ridiculous that the passport contract went to a French firm. Once again though, that’s the clusterfuck Conservatives, not Brexit.

Jeremy Hunt is coming across like the mad bloke in the village who, two years ago went to every villager’s house and stuffed human excrement through the letterbox tied to a note saying he’s moving away in two years time.

Now he’s appealing to the villagers’ sense of fair play by saying if they don’t lend him £50 they’ll never see him again.

Where’s the fucking threat in that?

3 Likes

Actually the passport issue was a direct result of EU legislation whereby we have to give EU firms a fair crack at the whip whilst we are still in.

If you want De La Rue to charge us a premium as a UK based supplier then we would have to wait until we were out.

Anyway given that De La Rue do passports for 47 ish other countries, they are a tad hypocritical when they whinge.

1 Like

Jeremy Hunt is a cunt. He’s right about us drifting toward hard Brexit by accident. Look at the mess that is the Chequers proposal, May’s big idea for Brexit, which is against the spirit of what British people voted for.

And for the record, @Map-Of-Tasmania, I do not claim to know what is in people’s minds - but I do know we were repeatedly warned that leaving the EU meant leaving its institutions, specifically the Single Market. That, precisely, is what many wanted, which is backed up with the few opinion polls that actually bothered to find out why.

May’s Brexit is a crap cup of tea Brexit, purposefully made to taste very bitter to those that voted Brexit, so bitter that they may even spit the whole idea of a Brexit cuppa out, yet strangely palatable to European tastes. The problem for dear old Theresa is that nearly everyone spat it out.

It wasn’t just the likes of Jacob Rees-Mogg decrying it. The Dark Lord Mandelson took the elevator up to Earth, just to say that no deal would be better than her deal.

Once again, the PM has utterly failed to take the temperature of anyone she’s dealing with, not least the British public.

As much as it pains me to say it, that one comment might be the one and only time where J:Cunt might be correct, as opposed to right.

I wouldn’t think she should take the British public’s opinion on board - they’re who got us into this fucking mess in the first place.

When, in recent history, has any British Minister made a decision in the public rather than their interest?

3 Likes

I’d argue that she has taken the temperature of the British public - a temperature that is split 50/50 as near as damnit it.

If she takes the cohort that voted Remain and certainly doesn’t want hard Brexit, through that hard Brexit journey and if it is anything but milk and honey, then her party will not get their X for a long, long time.

May has focus grouped herself to the only position she can hope to defend. That’s not leadership, that’s political survival but I understand it.

But let’s not think that Corbyn and Labour would do anything differently. The PLP is split on the issue. Their likely voters similarly split (if not a similar percentage - I don’t know what that is). Their potential new voters are certainly split. I am not a religious man but I am praying to the god of political good fortune that Corbyn is kept away from power until this shit show has been settled.

2 Likes

Cue Jonathan Pie…

1 Like

Interest Rates have gone-up - goody. More people worse off because of Brexit.

I think you’ll find that more people are worse off because interest rates have gone up, and more people have debt than they do savings.

Never mind the fact that interest rates have been at silly levels ever since the crash.

Because Brexit, right? :smiley: :poop:

??? That’s what I’m saying, more people are worse off because interest rates have gone up, which is due to Brexit.

You do know why interest rates have gone up, don’t you?

Were interest rates above 6% in the mid 90’s because we were in the EU?

1 Like

Brexit or no Brexit, if you thought that interest weren’t going to rise then you are naive at best and a fucking pillock at worst.

Blaming it on Brexit is just lazy point scoring. And inaccurate.

1 Like

I was reading something the other day that was saying that interest rates have been so low for so long that there’s no other choice but to raise them. Because you want to drop interest rates in order to stimulate the economy, having them low for so long is actually damaging because should you need to stimulate the economy again they’re nowhere for the rates to go and you’re fucked.

Right, so interest rates aren’t just moved up and down because someone decided “meh, it’s been there for a long time, so let’s move them”.

The reason they needed to be raised is to reduce spending (in an already poor performing economy) to tackle inflation, which has been high ever since Brexit due to increases in energy bills, petrol and imports.

These have gone up due to the poor performance of the pound as a currency, which reduced in value after…wait for it…the Brexit vote!!

Causation, causation, causation…

1 Like

That is true, although you certainly don’t raise them in a failing economy unless you have good reason to do so as it will reduce spending in the economy straight away.

No, it’s really not. The theory that just because interest rates are low they have to go back up is bollocks. Eventually, when the economy is growing at a sustainable rate of increase, it would be wise to decrease interest rates, but in the current economic climate, all over the world, it is not a good idea to raise interest rates unless there are issues with inflation.

No but they reached 20%+ due to Nigel Lawson, the EU, Tory Brexit factions and the ERM.
Now THAT made a lot of people poorer, except the banks of course.

1 Like

Which there are, because the Pound fell, imports (ie most stuff you lot buy in the shops) went up in cost.
Interest rate rise should make the Pound stronger, bring down costs in the shops (Yeah right) and put cash back in people’s pockets.

No honestly they fed us that shit last time round

Exactly!