Bands you used to love but now hate

I used to love the Rolling Stones, but it’s all over now.

3 Likes

Boom boom! When did they last make a decent record?

I think there’s a lot of paralells between your fave bands and your team. Expectation is often high, but disappointment normally follows. You will the band/team to be better than they are, but often are faced with the nauseating fear that they are shit. However, with all the emotional investment you made in your youth, you cannot stop hoping that one day they will turn it around.

This is why you can force yourself to listen to Aural Sculpture by The Stranglers and also follow Saints going downhill in the Champ.

2 Likes

Guns ‘n’ Roses definitely one for me. Took for me to turn 30 to realise they’re pretty overrated…

I don’t undestand this thread. You can’t not like a band just because they’ve recently put out a few shit albums. That’s like me saying I don’t like Elvis because everything he put out after '56 was shit - which would be daft! A band or individual being brilliant even if for one moment in time, is enough to think well of them forever!

If this thread was about bands you foolishly thought were brilliant, and now you’re older and wiser, realise they were actually shit all along, that would be different.

As per my last post…

Your submission is acceptable. Well done, Cherts.

The only thing I have a problem with in this thread is the title. I don’t think there is any band or artist I hate…just fallen out of love with.

Oasis was my suggestion, loved their first, totally ambivalent with the rest of their output…it happens.

For me it would have to be Hearsay - their debut album Popstars was the definitive rock soundtrack to the post-rave culture but when Johnny Shentall replaced Marsh their musical direction went more mainstream, away from the maverick anarchy of the early singles.

I’d not heard Popstars for a while but when revisiting it recently as part of a project on the Hacienda, it sounded just as fresh and original as the day it came out.

Hated all the Welsh shit, 'phonics, preachers etc (their own guitarist thought they were wank too and buggered off )… thought they we shit then, and think they are shit now… Cerys was alright though

Originally posted by @areloa-grandee

Hated all the Welsh shit, 'phonics, preachers etc (their own guitarist thought they were wank too and buggered off )… thought they we shit then, and think they are shit now… Cerys was alright though

Racist!

Don’t worry. They were always bad.

1 Like

Originally posted by @KRG

Controversial one, The Smiths. Probably being harsh, but:

A) Morrissey is a complete cunt.

B) Idiot kids that try so hard to be alternative and bang on about how bloody much they love The bloody Smiths, have you heard This Charming Man etc

C) The endless “OMG The Smiths are going to get back together for Coachella” repeated every year. No, they aren’t. Shut up.

I enjoy most of their music. But, eurgh.

I loved The Smiths when I was a teenager and they were releasing their albums, and sought out the gigs, press cuttings, appearances on The Word, TOTP, etc with a vigour and a passion only teenagers can muster. Nowadays, although I don’t hate them (far too strong a word), their music is a bit, well, average to me.

It’s very likely that it’s because I’m an old bastard though.

Bands/Artists lots of mates liked, but I couldn’t stand.

Keane. Travis. Mumford & Sons. Black Eyed Peas. Suede. Muse. Foo Fighters.

Nothing wrong with being an old bastard! I didnt like The Smiths when they first started out although a work colleague was always saying they were the business. He wore me down and I eventually started to listening to a few of their albums. I then went through a phase of liking them and bought most of their CDs only to become disinterested in them again later.