Bands you used to love but now hate

For me it is Queen. Got into them when Seven Seas of Rhye came out and stayed with them up to about the time of Bohemian Rhapsody. Soon after I developed an irrational hatred of the whole sound of the band - those harmonies and that guitar sound started to grate and now I turn the radio off if they come on. I seem to remember them becoming huge after Live Aid which was probably about the time I started to go off them big time. Not good timing as they were everywhere after that!

Dire Straights too. Loved them in the 80s. Can barely listen to them now.

Bros

2 Likes

I know a couple of sisters in America that love Queen, but only up until a certain point. Sometimes bands take journeys that their fans aren’t ready to go on. Sometimes, they’re far too rigidly stuck in the past.

There are very few bands from my youth that I won’t listen to. What I do find is like those sisters, I can’t listen to a band’s output after a certain point. AC/DC are the best example for me. Love the Bon Scott stuff. Back In Black is good, but not the same. Almost everything that follows is a regurgitation of past glories. Still like seeing them live, but unlikely to ever buy another album of theirs.

The last two albums have been quite good, imho of course.

Think they may have one more tour left in them before hanging it all up.

Flaming Lips

Soft Bulletin is a masterpiece. Yoshimi is alright. Got stupid after that.

2 Likes

Originally posted by @Fatso

Bros

They owe you nothing, mate.

4 Likes

x 2…I heard “Race for the Prize” on 6 Music yesterday and it reminded me how good they could be…wonderful…but now… :lou_sad:

1 Like

TheLostProphets…bit sick of waiting for a new album now tbh.

1 Like

Originally posted by @Fatso

Bros

good call actually. I wouldn’t say I hate them, but I certainly rolled my eyes when they started doing all that listening to 4 albums at the same time bollocks. And yes, Soft Bulletin is amazing. Phenomenal live whenever I saw them.

2 Likes

Gary Glitter.

1 Like

Genesis. Used to hate them, then Peter Gabriel left and they became great…

The Stone Roses. Used to think they were the dog’s bananas. Then we saw them live and oh dear whilst they tried performance wise, they really were sh1t.

Lady Gaga. Saw her “Arrival” in the UK at Glasto on the Other Stage one afternoon, nobody knew what to expect except she was supposed to be the next big thing. After a convoluted entrance out of a Pink Pyramid on stage with some repetitive bass line thumping away she finally appeared and screamed JUMP while her boobs sprayed flames over the audience and the place went ballistic. It was probably the gig of that year and for a while (OK like half an album) she was really good.

Then she became so crap that even she gave up and started to hate herself and luckily recently completely imploded and buggered off to become a Horror Movie star who needs no make up.

Now there is a phrase an old Prog Head like me doesnt hear very often. “Then Peter Gabriel left and they became great.” That is fighting talk from where I come from dude! I agree that when both he and Steve Hackett left they became a lot more commercial (thanks to Phil) but the purists will argue that the creative edge left with Gabriel.

2 Likes

Muse, when they decided they were going half-Queen and half-Coldplay.

They’ll never fully regain my trust, but ‘Drones’ went some way to fixing things.

2 Likes

Peter Gabriel left and they became great?? Are you sure you’ve got that the right way round?

1 Like

Level 42.

I think it was a bass thing, and Mark King used to mesmerise me.

Now when I listen to pretty much anything they did, it leaves me cold.

Agree with Cherts and SOG (bloody hell!). You are way off base with that one, Phil. Too much Polish beer, methinks.

First one to mind is Kasabian. Loved the first album, but hate the rest.

With you on that ant. Though, as we’ve discussed before I don’t particularly like the majority of Drones.

Kings of Leon are one for me. First 2 albums, and parts of the 3rd, were great. Everything since then has been dreadful. Never known a band to get so bad so fast.

2 Likes

Trouble is sometimes you discover a new band and it’s all fresh and exciting and then they get big and suddenly everyone wants a piece of them and it’s not fair - they belong to you!

1 Like

Originally posted by @KRG

First 2 albums, and parts of the 3rd, were great. Everything since then has been dreadful. Never known a band to get so bad so fast.

Oasis.

3 Likes