❄ Are you a woke bloke? (MoM approved)

No, fuck it. I won’t. :grin::grin:

1 Like

Actor - Played the posh one in ‘Lewis’ on ITV, now wanting to be a musician

NO you must never Google a “celebrity” unless, for example you hear a piece of music on the radio and it catches you attention. Then you can do it and then pursue it on YouTube. Ultimately today’s “celebrities” aren’t worthy of anyone’s attention they are Candy Floss, I go for the Sticky Toffee Apple.

I think the last few comments illustrate quite why he was outspoken on QT, imho. And it worked a treat Low profile actors - and he is surely one of those - crave one thing more than most: a higher profile :worried:

If you say so, although I prefer your erstwhile precision.

It’s important to know exactly what was said.

I’d say it’s just as important, in fact probably more so, to know what is meant. And what does the bit that I’ve emboldened mean? I really haven’t a clue.

2 Likes

Well, equating the two conversations is a lot fuzzier than the Fowllyd norm.

I’m not that loose.

If someone specifically mentions someone’s race in an attempt to dismiss their perspective, it’s racism.

What Nandy said to Morgan was more like reverse-snobbery, which is a bit weird coming from someone on £80K plus lavish expenses.

I don’t agree with your interpretation of either event. Nobody was trying to dismiss Lawrence Fox’s perspective; his interlocutor was simply making the point that, as one who would never have experienced racism from the receiving end, he wasn’t well placed to comment on how racist (or indeed how non-racist) British society is. Lisa Nandy was making essentially the same point to Piers Morgan.

1 Like

Again, precision.

White. Male. Privilege.

That’s what she said. Do not arm her with nuance she lacked at the time.

That’s even worse. If he’s an actor/wannabe musician, why would his opinion on anything other than acting or music merit anything more than a brief and swiftly ignored glance? :thinking:

1 Like

You’re accusing her of racism, so what do sex and privilege have to do with it? The point she was making was perfectly clear to me; I’m not arming her with nuance or anything else.

Largely because that’s what she said.

The fact that she was sexist and having a go at him for an accident of birth are just bonuses.

I mean, how dare he be in James Fox’s fucking nutbag at the right time?

She was doing none of those things, at least not in my interpretation of what was said.

1 Like

What else does white male privilege mean?

I’ve already told you what I made of her comment - it’s in a post somewhere further up this thread. Quite clearly, your interpretation of said comment differs from mine.

I think the difference is that my interpretation is more at face value. Let’s not forget that with no substantiation whatsoever, Fox’s questioner said that this was definitely racism.

When he disagreed with her she implied he could never understand the issue because among other things, he is white.

Please tell me how that is not racist based on what she said, not what you’d like her to have said.

Apologies if anyone gets a flagged post - phone in pocket may have sent this by accident…

It’s not a question of what I’d like her to have said; it’s how I interpreted what she said. And, indeed, what Fox said - here, too, your interpretation is different to mine. We’re not going to agree on this, so there’s no point in continuing the discussion, such as it is. Even less so if you’re going to head off down the route of telling me what I think, as your last comment is doing - a common tactic of yours and one that does you no favours.

But, for the record, she was responding to Fox’s comment that this country is the least racist, loveliest country in the world. By my interpretation (again, this is what I took from what she said, not what I would like her to have said - you do not have some sort of monopoly of understanding here), she was making the point that someone who has never been on the receiving end of racism is hardly well placed to comment on how racist or otherwise this society is. And, to my mind, such a comment is not racist by any means. Why not? Because it is about lived experience, not innate characteristics.

8 Likes

Would it have made more sense if he had accused her of being sexist Instead

Plenty of white privileged women out there so his gender is surely irrelevant

She should have just called him a cunt and had done with it.

2 Likes