Are Western liberals and Muslim leaders hypocritical?

No Barry, just calling you out for what you are - I do have very, very, very good form for that.

Grow up child.

You started it.

Errrrmā€¦no, you started the thread. I just commented. I canā€™t help it if you always get rattled so easily nipper.

Enough from me until you start your next oh, so predictable , thread.

Bye for now :roll_eyes:

Ha Ha Iā€™m far from rattled, you start with coming on to thread as always moaning about the thread (which is correct by the way), donā€™t come on, save yourself some energy son.

The problem with this debate, imho is that its more complicated than we like to thinkā€¦ first up I am a fully fledged atheistā€¦ in fact everyone is an atheist, but I just happen to believe in one less God than those who believe in 1ā€¦ hard pressed to find folks that believe in 2 or more, but that is not relevant here.

But first we need to differentiate between folks right to have faith and believe on a guiding deity, a higher being etc, which anyone is entitled to no matter what rational argument is put forwardā€¦ ( I used to believe in Santa, who at least was not ā€˜responsibleā€™ for punishing gays with AIDS etcā€¦) I must admit, I am not a big fan of pointing the finger at ā€˜believersā€™ and questioning the value of their belief, but I do sometimes ask a more challenging question of what they feel it adds, and is there something missing that means they need it?

But anyway, time to get to the point :wink:

Whilst I dont have an issue with folks who believe, i DO have an issue with:

1. Folks who believe any shit spouted by other humans based on their interpretation of ancient texts to suit the social and political agenda they have - the whole organised religion thing when its taken out of its original context and used to control and manipulate those who believe - obviously especially true where brainwashed believers kill other at random/terrorists/anti-abortionists/conspiracy believers and bigotsā€¦

ā€¦ BUT, problem is how do we reconcile the basic human right associated with the right to have faith, with challenging ā€˜systemsā€™ that contradict basic human rights in their teachings? (which is partly the point Barry trie to make, albeit sounding like a bit of zealot about it himselfā€¦)

Then we have countries in which the political system is hostile towards anything apart form the approved state religion, which is frankly ridiculousā€¦ China is great example, happy for folks to consume parts of animals for illnesses yet wonā€™t let other practice ether own nonsense belief systemsā€¦

ā€¦making it worse by actively discriminating and putting them in campsā€¦ with horrendous conditions.

As Barry albeit in his usual clumsy (and as a result open to accusations of having an anti-muslim agenda masquerading under an anti-religion banner) way points out, how other nations have responded is quite disturbingā€¦ in effect with indifference. A classic case where the economic value of their trade and their diplomatic relationships is placed ahead of the treatment of 1000s of there own peopleā€¦ The issue I have with Barry here, is there was absolutely no need to make this about ā€˜Western Liberalsā€™ or Muslim leaders - it would have had more merit and been less open to obvious criticism, had he simple stated, are other nations attitudes towards China in this case hypocritical?

Of course, had he posted that, it would have been a short thread as ā€˜yesā€™ is not really open to any debateā€¦ as we know with Barry, his style is to be deliberately provocative and add a bit of trolling to itā€¦

1 Like

I read this thread title with the same sort of resignation that normally accompanies a @Barry-Sanchez wunder-thread.

Then I also remembered that people moaned about Barry tagging this kind of shit to other threads.

These threads get the oxygen you give them. Sometimes the easiest thing to do is quietly watch them sink to the bottom, not give them the buoyancy to stay on top.

Should it be about Muslims and apologists then?

Standing by and doing nothing, if the shoe was on the other foot?

Its hypocrisy, nothing more, nothing less.

Which no one would disagree with

No it should be about any government or nation that fails to condemn regardless of whether they wear Birkenstocks or carry a prayer matā€¦ it really is that simple when not looking to troll dudeā€¦

Its valid as a discussion as its in the mainstream news, lets not be defensive, my point concerning religion and many cultures as backward and stoneage was proven a long time ago.
This concerns an atheist and loosely termed communist nation state against a religion whereby nothing is said when people are being exterminated, its embarrassing to be honest, but donā€™t worry Iā€™ll ram this and their silence down their throats when they raise a valid but weaker example later on as its the West.