Wearing poppies for remembrance day

I heard you can get pretty high from poppies, I think it’s called opium, so I bought a couple just now from the charity bro outside Sainsbury’s, but when I set fire to them they went up like a fucking torch yo and ppl started shouting at me + threatened to call police RIP

6 Likes

I’ve been personally involved in a few remembrance things in the last year.

In 2014 I went to the Somme and Ypres, as well as the Normandy beaches.

I recently went to Gallipoli.

But I haven’t worn a poppy every year even though I support the remembrance.

It’s a personal thing - not flaunting it doesn’t make you a bad person.

And it is definitely not right to see them plastered all over TV for a fortnight.

That fakery means absolutely nothing and is the hollowest of gestures.

9 Likes

Being half Deutsch, with several relatives having died on both sides in both WWs - always have a bit of dilemma with this one. Can’t stand how there is a witch hunt on anyone who chooses not to wear one… Matter of choice… Ordinary men and women are sacrificed, some causes such as WW2 are obviously justified, but whilst we can naturally remember those who died whatever the cause, why is the spotlight missing from those politicians who have sent those ordinary men and women to early graves for self/ national interest without any genuine justification?

I don’t think you should have a dilemma. It should be about rememberance of all the dead, from both sides of th conflict

1 Like

I agree, but the poppy appeal and its symbolism is a very British thing? As an Army brat, the poppy appeal was always a big deal growing up, with regiments placing the poppy behind the beret badge etc, but it never seemed like you HAD to wear one. This overbearing approach seems to be a relatively new phenomenon?