šŸ‘Øā€āš–ļø šŸ“ The law is an ass

This is happening now - lots of clients canā€™t be arsed so are mandating agency PAYE or umbrella co PAYE

I would change the way time is taken off of a sentence for good behaviour. If the sentence is 10yrs then that is what should be served

2 Likes

Flip it - add time for misbehaving

1 Like

Yeah, but all the same, there are some dodgy operators out there and HMRC is already performing a similar function.

The only reason it hasnā€™t happened before is because they donā€™t want to give the impression that they approve of this kind of thing.

All of these firms are on an earner. There is no guarantee youā€™re getting the right advice or paying the right tax. Cut out the middleman.

Thing is its not time off for good behaviourā€¦ its often mostly practical to ease overcrowding

However, it also depends on whether you view prison as simply punishment or as an opportunity to rehabilitate?

I feel it should be both, but if so then earning a right to earlier release through demonstrating you have learned etc, should not be removed.

1 Like

100%. I have never understood the reasoning for giving time off for good behaviour. They have committed a crime and need to serve the sentence. The encouragement for them to behave properly whilst inside should be to increase their sentence if they misbehave. Alternately, if they feel that a carrot is better than a stick, give them longer sentences in the first place so that if their behaviour warrants an early release, they still serve a sentence commensurate with their crime.

They have tried to removed the subjectivity by giving minimum and maximum terms for crimes which allows ā€œobjectivityā€ depending on the seriousness of each particular offence which, of course, is where the problem often lies. I would argue that the minimum sentence for many serious crimes is too low to start with. We do have a system whereby a sentence can be appealed against if it is felt by the prosecution to be too lenient so there are checks and balances, but victims will often feel that a sentence is too low. Where do you start from? I would expect every one of us would have a difference of opinion about the minimum and maximum sentences for rape.

I agree there should be rehabilitation but when the stats show 75% reoffend within 9 yrs (almost 40% in the first year) I am not sure what the answer is. Should also add that I think rehabilitation should occur at the end of the sentence

The whole system needs a complete overhaul but I wouldnā€™t leave it in the hands of the likes of Johnson and Patel.

I know enough professional rascals that see ā€œbirdā€ as an occupational hazard, and will see the time halved as a bonus.

I think itā€™s fair enough first time out, but if youā€™re in and out of the nick I think longer sentences should be considered.

On the more serious crimes, agree. Itā€™s not just about the offernderā€™s rehabiliation. Itā€™s about giving those people whoā€™ve had lives destroyed a small measure of safety and justice. If theyā€™re let out early, theyā€™re potentially not safe and I donā€™t feel justice had been done.

Sentencing guidelines are definitely wrong. Bunch of people I went to school with were doing B&Qā€™s over and had the book thrown at them. Non-violent. What theyā€™d do is fill a trolley full of stuff up, take it out into the garden area and come back with bolt cutters later on at night, lifting the bounty. A couple of them got six years.

And yet a convicted nonce, well to do, same court, same month - 3 years.

1 Like

Arenā€™t there some states in the US that have a three strikes and out rule? After a third successful conviction you get a life sentence no matter what the offence? Seems harsh if it is just for littering but agree that persistent offenders should face longer sentences.

Yeah but thatā€™s about locking black people up so they can legally do slave labour for a profit-making prison system.

Nothing to do with any semblance of a good law.

3 Likes

The Ayatollah used to work at B&Q hq - she couldnā€™t believe the stock loss levels - people lobbing power tools over the garden area fences into the waiting arms of their mates - or filling up a trolley and running straight out the front door with it

1 Like

I would recommend the Secret Barrister on twitter and his/her books.

Prison isnā€™t the answer to all of the crimes really. If people re-offend for low level crimes Iā€™d be looking at the reasons why. Poverty maybe?

Iā€™m with @pap on the decriminalisation of drugs. Weā€™ve wasted enough money on trying to stop it all. It would resolve a lot of issues around smuggling, trafficking, prostitution, gang wars and other low level crime to fund habits. The amount of police work in stop and searching young people for a tiny amounts of cannabis and the paper work (and then me reading the damn report and doing nothing with it).

I think we had a thread on this didnā€™t we, werenā€™t most for decriminalisation?

1 Like

Yeah think there may have been. So many threads. Hard to remember them all.

I am anally retentiveā€¦

1 Like

We do, and for that reason I wonā€™t repeat too much of my old rhetoric here.

It is what Iā€™d change though.

I donā€™t remember voting on this subject.

I must have been stoned.

5 Likes

Ditto

I still must be, responding a week laterā€¦