🌑 🚀 The 🌕 landings

I was talking about racial stereotyping, which isn’t necessarily racist, though some would shout out very loudly that it is.

I would suspect that those people you speak of have never learned a foreign language and tried to speak that foreign language elsewhere.

By 19, I had a good deal of French in the bag, but had never really done much Spanish. I had to learn that quickly on an exchange to Spain and much hilarity ensued among my Spanish friends. English is not the ideal place to start Spanish. We generally don’t roll our r’s, and I’ve never been able to consistently.

Hence, I am a figure of fun in most places Spanish, and it’s not just the accent, it’s the misunderstanding of language.

Not only did I sound like the English language of Manuel, I once asked a Spanish girl if she was horny when I meant to ask her if she was hot. In a group of approximately twelve people, who all laughed at me.

The same is true in reverse. When you hear someone say “I’m going to make a toilet” instead of “I’m going for a shit”, how does anyone speaking the English language natively not stifle a giggle?

Racial stereotyping is saying that all people from these places have this level of misunderstanding. That is clearly not the case with accents and language. Some people have a better grasp of it than others, and when people don’t have a good grasp of it, it’s fucking comical.

(drum roll)

Just as it is when anything is done comically badly.

The people you speak of need to get a grip.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Only Sotonians could take a Moon Landing thread into woke land

4 Likes

Neatly summed up by:

But sort of missing the point.

Would you say you had a plethora of Three Amigos clips, @Goatboy?

Are you kidding? Everything on Twitter arrives in Wokeland ahead of schedule.

There’s an express service!

1 Like

When I did my industrial year placement in France I went not speaking a word of French, hence I learnt to speak French with a French accent albeit a Southern French one!

Coming home on the ferry once, I tried to order a beer in Northern France, they understood not a word I spoke…

One of my party tricks was speaking French with an English accent, used to make the Frenchies laugh…

BTW is “Good moaning, I was just pissing by the window” racist?

3 Likes

As a nipper I spent time most summers with family in the Pfalz. I now realise there is a small number of aging German adults only able to swear in English - with an ‘ampshire accent.

1 Like

I got into some real HR level Corporate shit in the day.
We got bought by a French company imbecileFrench management.
At an EU Board meeting I explained why I found their pronunciation of my surname offensive.
They won. I was told off for complaining that they pronounced my name as Mr Huge Ass
Luckily a larger sized Female Pakistani team member filed a counter complaint & won Les Damburger eaters had to go on a course

2 Likes

I’m shocked that you would even reference the steve martin version of the Pink Panther, Phil. Sacrilege. And he made it even worse by tainting the name of Bilko too :rage::rage::rage:

2 Likes

The Ayatollah spent a year in Granada and now speaks Spanish with the equivalent of a scouse accent

It was the source of the greatest epic fail ever.
US Company bought by French Company
1st combined sales conf in US
New French CEO speech kept saying we must Fuck us.French couldn’t understand why we all laughing.
American marketing VP speech. We need to integrate & understand each other
Then played that Video clip.
Less offense would have been caused if hed raped De Gaulle on stage.
Oh how we laughed. They HATE being called out on it