The Isle of Wight

PO postcode.

1 Like

Originally posted by @pap

Prompted by this controversy in the national press, how do we feel about the Isle of Wight?

Despite my mockery of the island to tease Halo, I’m a fan. Considering moving there after the kids are grown up.

The Ofsted chair, David Hoare, has come under fire for describing the Isle of Wight as a poor “ghetto” that suffers from inbreeding.

Hoare, a former City banker, said the island was blighted by a “mass of crime, drug problems [and] huge unemployment,” as well as underperforming schools.

His extraordinary comments provoked a strong backlash from people on the Isle of Wight, where the council leader, Jonathan Bacon, condemned Hoare’s remarks as “an insult to the proud and hardworking Isle of Wight community”.

Ofsted also moved swiftly to distance itself from its chairman, insisting that Hoare’s views “do not reflect the views of Ofsted or the chief inspector [of schools]”.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/aug/05/ofsted-chair-david-hoare-isle-of-wight-poor-ghetto

https://www.iwight.com/news/Ofsted-Chair-retractionapology-accepted

David Hoare, chair of OFSTED, now understands that some of his specific comments [presumably the ones about ghettos and inbreeding] were OFFENSIVE and UNFOUNDED and recognises that his comments regarding crime, drug-use and unemployment on the Island were FACTUALLY INACCURATE.

OFSTED – Office for Standards in Education, Children’s Services and Skills.

:lou_eyes_to_sky:

2 Likes

A lot of CAPITAL LETTERS there, Halo.

Is that easier when you have twelve fingers? :lou_wink_2:

2 Likes

Not necessarily, Pap.

2 Likes

Went on holiday to IoW once, a long time ago

Had a nice time

Didn’t realise it was still there.

I went over one evening and got the train from Ryde, I asked the ticket inspector how long it would take so he looked at his watch and said when we get to Sandown it will be about 1952.

He was right.

3 Likes

RB. On the return leg did you have a ticket?

Dubai Saints have been working closely with local Special Forces, the CDC in Atlanta and Porton Down in England to create a Decontaminatiion Station at Barasti ready for Saturday.

One of our Krew (George Weah’s Cousin) is trying to get through Security at Heathrow and return from his holiday to that septic Isle.

We cannot take ANY chances so we are going for full Containment and having a Preacher on Standby.